Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AppleTV Slow Interface
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The interface of the latest release is quite slow on the AppleTV, just swapping between movies etc. Seems to cache 3 movies at a time, so flipping between them are quite fast, but if you skip to the 4th it'll lag a bit.

Is there any way of speeding this up? I'm presuming all fanart/posters are saved to disk etc rather than being downloaded each time Tongue

Tried the Rapier skin and it's pretty much unuseable so reverted back to confluence...
Any ideas?

Niietzshe
Hi niietzshe,

I am not sure about everyone else, but I have had the best experience with the Alaska skin. I have disabled fan art but it still looks fantastic and runs smoothly on aTV.

It is not final but perhaps you can give it a try?
What's the reason for the slow interface on Apple TV with the standard OS? I tried running Linux on my ATV and the XBMC interface is smooth as silk, but under the Apple TV OS it's quite sluggish.

Don't really want to run Linux on it, since I use quite a few of the Apple TV features now and then.

Does the underlying OS on the ATV take much more resources than Linux, or is the OS X port less optimized?
afaik, many users say that Alaska skin is pretty much best option for AppleTV

personaly, not tried yet. but as soon as i get to my atv, i'll give it a try...
I had a look around and can't find the Alaska skin, anyone got a link? Also I've read that it works on the ATV if you turn fan-art off, this is not what I want.
Also I wasn't aware you could run linux on the ATV, this might be a good way to go for me if it provides a smooth UI as I only use XBMC and nothing on the Apple side. What distro did you use?

I'd rather not go to all the hastle of installing linux for XBMC if this is in fact a software issue rather than hardware. Has anyone else tried running xbmc on Linux on ATV and had a faster UI?
Alaska skin link > http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62578

about turning off the fan-art, really don't know. but i recommend you to give it a try, and find out for yourself Wink
niietzshe Wrote:Also I wasn't aware you could run linux on the ATV, this might be a good way to go for me if it provides a smooth UI as I only use XBMC and nothing on the Apple side. What distro did you use?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64634

Lets you run a Linux installation with XBMC from a thumbdrive, so that you don't have to erase the original OS.
I can confirm the same. The UI on the Linux distro runs much smoother than on ATV OS.
It's definitely a bit slower under the Mac OS versus Linux (probably less free memory in OS X).
However it's still very usable if you stick to the 'simple' views.
I use the Media Info view in Confluence with both large and small fanart turned off and it is nice and smooth.
Dual Boot would be nice
sircube Wrote:I can confirm the same. The UI on the Linux distro runs much smoother than on ATV OS.

Are you using fanart?

To the OP, you can also optimize your images (fanart, thumbs, etc) which may give you a little bit of a boost. This is well documented in the XBox side.

It would be nice to have a little bit more ooomph in processing power though. May have to try linux on this thing.
Someone who tried linux on atv can confirm that confluence is usable also with fanart enabled?
Yeah I'm only really interested with the fanart, otherwise I'd just use my PS3 and file system Smile

I might try the linux thumb just for testers, so thanks for the link! But I recon I might run some automated batch converting on the fanart to optimise stuff a bit. I'll post my results...
^tWiSt^ Wrote:Someone who tried linux on atv can confirm that confluence is usable also with fanart enabled?

Barely. I turned fanart off under Linux too as there is a significant delay during image changes as you are navigating the movie list.

The limited ram/cpu in the Apple TV is going to be a limiting factor when it comes to skins with 'eye candy.'
If that's really important to you then you will probably be disappointed.

Personally I think Confluence looks great even with the fanart and other stuff turned off. Way better than WDTV, Popcorn Hour, etc..
And at the end of the day you will probably spend way more time watching videos/listening to music then you will looking at the skin. :p
pin87a Wrote:at the end of the day you will probably spend way more time watching videos/listening to music then you will looking at the skin. :p

You would think Smile
I went through my library, created a fold for each movie and stuck the movie file with a fanart.jpg scaled to 720 high and 60% quality from photoshop and folder.jpg scaled to 600 high and same quality then re-scanned the library.

That seems to make fanart loading about 2-3 times faster, I'm not sure I want to go any lower, but might test it out a bit. The other thing I'm thinking is these are all stored on a NAS, is there anyway of having a folder on the appletv that'll hold these jpgs and scrape them from there? Like what you can do with srts? That should speed things up a bit more if this stuff isn't being cached right?

I know of the limits of the ATV, I just want to get the best out of it thats possible. I really wish there was just a little bit more RAM in there Smile
Pages: 1 2