Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] MPG (from digital camera) file playback issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://pastebin.com/m1e1be3fc
Running Camelot Final on ASRock ION 330. Originally installed v9.04 from a Live CD.

I am having issues with MPG video (Codec: mpgv) files that are created with my Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W150 digital camera. They will not play at all on my XBMC Live installation. They did not play in v9.04 and now that I have upgraded to Camelot Final, they still will not open. Thumbnails will not get generated either.

These files play on my XBOX version of XBMC without an issue. I have attached a full debug log for someones viewing pleasure.

If I re-encode the files as MKV or XViD, they work fine. I would prefer not to have to re-encode all my files though.

Thank you for you assistance.
I cannot find anyone with a similar issue... This is so strange. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!
Help?!
Please file a new bug report (xbmc.org/trac), attach your debug log and a sample file.
moab Wrote:Help?!

I have the same problem. I do believe its the camera that somehow causes the problem.I tried avidemux but as i import the file the program crashes.

The only solution i found so far is to convert the files to wmv format with the windows movie maker.
vdrfan Wrote:Please file a new bug report (xbmc.org/trac), attach your debug log and a sample file.

^^
I am having the same issue with videos from my sony camera as well. Everything else plays fine, but these .mpgs don't. Working on getting a log file to upload, but alas I will do that when I get home. Any insight is greatly appreciated~
I opened a TRAC (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8500) about a week ago, but I haven't had a response yet. I hope to see it picked up by someone soon! Smile
The sample file works if you copy the audio and video to a new container.

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy in.mpg -o out.mpg

Don't know why the original container fails though...
dang, my revo has been out, so I can't get a log... must be something sony decided to throw in there for fun ya know?
wdbittle Wrote:dang, my revo has been out, so I can't get a log... must be something sony decided to throw in there for fun ya know?

Nah... This worked previously.
Here is a one line script writer that will traverse your directory tree and write a script to batch convert all your .MPG files

execute this one line command from the top of your directory hierarchy

Code:
find . -name "*.MPG"|awk -F "." '{print "mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy \"."$1$2"."$3"\" -o \"."$1$2".avi\""}'>script_fix

then - you can use your editor to go into the new file script_fix and see if it is going to do what you need.
(it will convert all your .MPG files to .avi files and will not delete or otherwise alter your original files)

then
Code:
chmod 755 script_fix
(make your new script executable)

then run it
./script_fix

i hope this helps anyone with large numbers of files.
its true that this whole operation could be done on one line - but then you would not get a chance to see what all it was going to do first..... Smile
one tiny post-script - if you have dots (.) in your names it will screw it up - but this can be a template for you Smile

and here is how you do it in one line, rather than create a script and then run it.

Code:
find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*.MPG"|awk -F "." '{print " -ovc copy -oac copy \"."$1$2"."$3"\" -o \"."$1$2".avi\""}'|xargs mencoder

the max depth setting will prevent it from going more than 1 deep. I need this to avoid re-processing originals. you can change to your liking