Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Asrock 330 staircase effect on TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Passing in HDMI is what some of you have noticed a staircase effect that degrades the flattening of color?

Asrock330 I have a TV connected to a Sony BRAVIA Z4500.

Try to illustrate:

At first I thought it was the skin (Alaska) that I had paid, but asking the question in the Alaska forum I realized that the effect is also present on the videos.

By cons when I make a screenshot and I pass on my laptop the image is correct (like the picture I post).
When I launch a picture viewer on my WindowManager the picture is look bad again, so it come from Asrock or X server ...

Thx.
Can't say I have the same problem as you, tried to really make it obvious with a similar "flashlight" effect on the alaska skin, but it seems alright to me.

I'm running a ASRock ION 330 HT with xbmclive, hdmi to a Samsung UE46B7070
Thx for the info, do you have make some modification on xorg.conf ?
I'll download xbmclive to make a try.
Thuffir Wrote:Thx for the info, do you have make some modification on xorg.conf ?
I'll download xbmclive to make a try.

only changed to some custom ModeLine for my tv

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
[b]    VendorName     "SAMSUNG"
    ModelName      "UE46B7070"
    HorizSync       26.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     24.0 - 75.0
    ModeLine       "1920x1080@60p" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080@24p" 74.16 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync[/b]
    Option         "DPMS"
[b]    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"[/b]
EndSection

and

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
[b]    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "false"[/b]
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
[b]        Modes      "1920x1080@60p" "1920x1080@24p"[/b]
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Bolded stuff is what I've changed from original xorg.
Sounds like colour banding to me which would be your screens inaccuracy, basically it cant accurately display the gradients between colours so you get banding
@calmdown, thx for info, mine seem like yours.

@X I agree but there is no problem when I watch a BRay disc on my PS3 the picture is very accurate and pure so I think is hardware (cable, Asrock output quality) or software (xorg, xbmc).

Do you think modelines or frequencies as effect on colour banding ?
I just test with the Asrock optimized Team XBMCFreak's live CD here :
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66388

And have the same colour banding / staircase effect.

In conclusion seem it's my TV Config who need some new settings or maybe try with a better quality cable.