Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to verify VDPAU works correctly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi people,

I've got everything up and running but i wanted to know how to verify that XBMC is actualy using my GPU via VDPAU.

Does anyone know howto?

Thanks already.

Greetz,
Fjerpje
Play a file with a codec that can utilize hw acceleration and press the "o" key on your keyboard while it's playing. If VDPAU is performing the decoding, you'll see it there.
I know that but what should i look for then? Becuase i see this:

D(Video: mpeg2videa, 720x576, 9360 kb/s) P(vq:39%, dc:libmpeg2, Mb/s:4.12, drop:12, pc:none)
C(mad:0.000, a/v:0.029. edl;-, dcpu: 1% acpu: 1% vcpu:15% )
W( FPS: 24.00 CPU: 3.8% CPU1: 0.0% CPU2: 9.2% CPU3:13.6% )

THis is just when i play a regular video.
dc:libmpeg2

It's not using VDPAU - but that's a DVD, yes? VIDEO_TS or ISO etc?
jpennell Wrote:dc:libmpeg2

It's not using VDPAU - but that's a DVD, yes? VIDEO_TS or ISO etc?

Yes that just a regular DVD playing there. But should i increase my shared memory also to 512 in the bios?
vdpau ain't used to dvds.
You used to have to set it to 512MB - But I think Auto works fine for Camelot.

VDPAU isn't used to MPEG2 - AFAIK.

If you have the iPlayer plugin installed - try playing something from BBC HD - I think the entry is dc:ff_h264_vdpau (but I'm at work so can't check). Either way - if VDPAU is being used - it'll be mentioned in the dc: entry.
In fact, thinking about it - it'll use VDPAU for any iPlayer streams - I think they're all encoded with H264?
jpennell Wrote:In fact, thinking about it - it'll use VDPAU for any iPlayer streams - I think they're all encoded with H264?

Oke, i will increase my shared memory in the bios to 512 (wich is 256 now) I've played some .mts 1080i 1440x 1200 and it played but i'm not sure it used the vdpau but it didn't use full CPU capacity either.
Smile

I think you need to set the video memory to 512 or Auto - 256 won't cut it (certainly for 1080p source).

Regardless, if VDPAU is being employed, the dc: entry will have vdpau in it.

J
jpennell Wrote:Smile

I think you need to set the video memory to 512 or Auto - 256 won't cut it (certainly for 1080p source).

Regardless, if VDPAU is being employed, the dc: entry will have vdpau in it.

J

Oke, but are there more things should have done in Ubuntu to have VDPAU configured crrectly? I'm installed the Nvidia dirvers manually trough the hardware monitor in Ubuntu.
an ion 330 has absolutely no chance in hell, even if it has frozen over!111, to decode 1080i in sw. if that played your vdpau is fine.
spiff Wrote:an ion 330 has absolutely no chance in hell, even if it has frozen over!111, to decode 1080i in sw. if that played your vdpau is fine.

What you mean by that?
uhm, exactly what i wrote?
spiff Wrote:uhm, exactly what i wrote?

Oke well, i am playing .mts file AVCHD 1440 x 1080i of a digital full HD camcorder with an 25.00 steady FPS and P(vq:99%, dc:ffh264_vdpau, Mb/s:11.05, drop:23,pc1)

and its playing ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1 But it's doing alright the CPU's aren't getting over 10% usage and VDPAU does a great job sometimes it stutters but i geuss this has to do with the camcorder but this can be improved with some setting of the video file being changed.

Well anyway it works thanks for all of the support! Love XBMC now heheSmile

Greetz,
Fjerpje
Pages: 1 2