Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
heldchen Wrote:looking forward to XBMC implementing the boxee 3d features. while i don't mind the menus, mostly the subtitles (avatar, anyone?) are a problem currently while playing 3d content.

This helps:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/...tler.shtml
I only see mention of getting this to work with Nvidia...is there no way for ATi cards to handle this?
What I am really missing is playing back half-sbs movies in 2D mode. I don´t have a 3DTV yet (just bought a 2D plasma 1,5 years ago), so I am currently forced playing them back on Windows with the 3dtv player/PowerDVD in anaglyph mode (cheap solution and better than nothing; IMHO better than it´s reputation). Nevertheless, I am sure to buy a 3D capable PC monitor first before upgrading my living room, but this will also take some time...

However, I started reencoding and collecting sbs 3D movies, and playing them back in XBMC in 2D is not possible as I haven´t seen any scaling/cropping options that would allow me to cut off the right half of the video and scaling the left half to full screen. I have checked the zooming/aspect ratio settings, but I haven´t found a way to get it working.

I am currently using XBMC within yaVDR (Linux) - playing back those half-sbs movies always means a reboot of this living room PC to the second partition that contains Windows with the 3dtv player/PowerDVD... I don´t expect you to implement anaglyph playback (see some example avisynth conversion code at http://www.pc-magazin.de/ratgeber/von-yo...,6508.html (sorry, German), but at least this scaling feature would be nice as a first step Wink

BTW: Concerning the discussion on how to detect a MKV 3D encoding: New flags have been introduced that allow you to tell if and how a movie is 3D encoded. See http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/...StereoMode for more details on this.
bobbydavro Wrote:I only see mention of getting this to work with Nvidia...is there no way for ATi cards to handle this?

I currently don't have an AMD card as I sold my tester Radeon HD 5450 recently. I hope to test broadcom when I get my hands on the old AppleTV1 this summer that my sister has at college now.
poofyhairguy Wrote:If your system can handle the CPU load, just disable VDPAU for when you play 3D files.
How can I disable VDPAU? I am using Power DVD 10 to play 3D SBS Movies.
sonic00 Wrote:How can I disable VDPAU?

You use CPU decoding.
Any good news on better display of half-SBS movies in XBMC? Any news on sub-title support? Thanks in advance!
side by side mkv's and top/bottom 3D rips will play fine if your hardware can handle it. (I'm decoding on a crystal HD 1080p sbs fine)

I just kick them off then put the TV into 3D side by side mode. Depending on the movie you might have to fine tune the depth in the TV settings.

On my Samsung I prefer -2 as the 3D viewpoint for most films, for gaming on crysis2/avatar I have to turn this up to +5.

The only thing I'm struggling with now are subtitles on Avatar. I have yet to find a SBS rip with hardcoded na'vi subs. I might try this software http://84.27.10.123/3DSubtitler/ to add them myself.
just quickly i was disappointed about xbmc not playing 3d sbs files then i remembered about the external player being a total noob and not knowing much about changing config files i managed to get this setup working so i thought id share

sView is a free 3d easy to use player

http://www.sview.ru/en

i ran this got it playing my SBS .mkv files the way i wanted

then on windows 7 x64 in
\AppData\Roaming\Xbmc\userdata

.....windows x86 is probably a different folder i dont know.....

i made a new text file saved it as playercorefactory.xml

inside i put

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="SView" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\sView 2009\sView.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" --fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*sbs*" player="sview"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

then where i have my 3d SBS files stored i add to each movies file name sbs

so example

movie is jackass 3d.mkv i changed it to jackass 3d sbs.mkv

and it works im so happy Smile

i love xbmc SmileBig Grin
i dont have a 3d tv just a pc with 3d monitor and 3d projector. other wise i could have just flick the tv to play sbs. i have a optoma hd66 projector which relies on the pc to play the sbs files in sbs mode
mngrl1 Wrote:just quickly i was disappointed about xbmc not playing 3d sbs files then i remembered about the external player being a total noob and not knowing much about changing config files i managed to get this setup working so i thought id share

This is cool. Just one Q - I have thought that XBMC actually plays half-SBS. It will play them in moderate quality using HW-acceleration and in good quality when turning off HW-acceleration.

Does the external player above have any advantages over standard XBMC player?
xbmc will play sbs mkv files beautifully but it plays them side by side then you use the tv in sbs mode to view them correctly.

3d projectors dont have side by side mode so you need a software player to play them in side by side mode

a quick question for someone in the know or if someone could do a search for me, it seems that sView player is using all my cpu is this cause its using cpu for decoding and not my gfx card?

also i am using a ati 4890 in my htpc would i be better using a nvidia with cuda?

htpc specs are

amd x2 2.7ghz
4gb ddr2 800mhz ram
ati 4890

3d files are now dropping frame rates and running 2 programs xbmc and sview is using %100 cpu lol now searching ebay for cheap am3 quad core cpu and cuda gfx card
mngrl1 Wrote:3d projectors dont have side by side mode so you need a software player to play them in side by side

That's not correct. 3D projectors like the Acer HD5360BD do have a side-by-side mode along with all other common 3D-modes like over/under, framepacking, etc.
My bad I didn't mean all 3d projectors. Should have said some 3d compatible projectors.
Thank you all for all the pointers in this thread! Especially mngrl1.

I use the external player MPC-HC as described by mngrl1 5 posts above.
MPC is called for all files that have SBS or 3D in the filename.
Discovered that if you are on a x64 system with MPC x64 installed that the audio does not work, so you need to install MPC x86.

Did put the audio to "false" as I don't want an audio file that has SBS or 3D in its filename to call MPC.

MPC makes use of ffdshow and in the ffdshow video decoder settings you can enable subtitles and under placement enable stereoscopic.
If you still see the standard subs the uncheck "Enable" in MPC -Play -Subtitles.

There is an android app for MPC and I use that to close it and return to XBMC, would be nice if a close MPC button could be in the XBMC remote app.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18