Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] How do I dual boot windows 7 with xmbc live?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an asrock ion 330HT that I would like to dual boot windows 7 and xbmc live. I currently have windows 7 installed and the hard drive is partitioned into 300gb (windows 7 partition) and 20gb (where I want xbmc live).

I'm just unsure how I should proceed with installing live to the 20gb partition, setting it up so that the asrock boots into XBMC live by default, and with the ability to boot into windows 7 as needed.

Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks.
the XBMC installer (grub) does that for you, just go ahead
weeeeelll, the XBMC installer might be smart enough, but I'm not :-)

I've also got an Asrock ION 330 HT with Win7 installed. There's 3 partitions: 7GB set aside for XBMC Live (should be enough?), 313GB (more or less) for Win7 and the little 104MB one Win7 creates for itself.
I'v already checked out the install for XBMC Live and somewhere along the install I get asked where to install. I can see all 3 partitions, but I can't seem to select the one to install to. When I try to install to the 7GB partition (which I created as NTFS during the Win7 install) I get an error like 'no root thingy set in the partition'
I have absolutely no idea how Linux works, so if anyone could provide a noob-proof guide, it would be greatly appreciated!
theoretically you need 2 partitions for linux, one XBMC and one swap. I'm not sure how the XBMC image acts when there's no swap available, so the easiest way might be to delete the 7GB partition with the installer and just let XBMC live install into this free space, it should partition the empty space (OS&SWAP) automatically if I'm right. else you could do 5GB&2GB for example and set the mount point for the 5GB partition "/"
Thanks, I'll delete the 7Gb and give that a go. If I give XBMC plenty of empty space to play around in, I don't need to worry about the mount point I guess?
There were so many partitioning options and the like at the screen where the partitions are displayed, are there any I need to get everything working if I let XBMC sort it out after I delete that 7GB?
I'm just being careful, because anything I tried or looked into there just seemed to want to use the entire drive for the install...
In the long run I'll probably end up just using XBMC Live, the ION is not powerful enough for surfing, mailing,... equally comfortably as on my desktop...
is it advisable to install win7 first or xbmc live first, also if anyone has this setup what is the ideal partiion size for xbmc live os and the swap partition it creates.
I installed dual boot on my R3610 yesterday without any problems.
but I had to remove it since one folder on network share would give me Error 2
all the time. Very frustrating since all other folders did work without problems.
XBMC on Windows 7 also no problem.
I deleted the 7Gb partition and when trying to install got the option 'use free space'
It worked like a charm!

I had some issues gaining access to my shares as well, but got them solved.
Apparently Win7 does not like people gaining access to their own shares...
A couple of things that might work if your firewall is configured correctly and sharing is set to Everyone: full access:
- uninstall Windows Live Sign in assistant
- disable Homegroup configurations (or leave Homegroup)
- Win 7 uses SMB2 and once it has connected to a machine using SMB2 (my dual boot Win 7 on the ION in my case), it refuses to connect to anything using SMB1...
A couple of links with possible answers:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66940
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65131&page=3

I hope maybe this time I got to help someone else Smile
My problem is that I can access the share fine but only one of 5 sub-folders is giving me Error 2
dameista Wrote:I deleted the 7Gb partition and when trying to install got the option 'use free space'
It worked like a charm!

Im at this stage of the install and still not getting another option other than use entire drive. I have 13GB of unpartitioned space.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:the XBMC installer (grub) does that for you, just go ahead

I tried that and XBMC was installed in the hard drive. I even got the option of installing the system in the first half (beginning) of the drive. But there's no operating system option during startup. It just goes right into XBMC.
I just cant seen ANY option for "guided install"

all XBMC gives me is "Erase drive" or not install...annoying, no partition options and i dont want to risk it and continue with erase drive in case it does literally erase the whole drive
Select the last option, it will give you choice later to repartition ( if needed)
Marcos Wrote:I just cant seen ANY option for "guided install"

all XBMC gives me is "Erase drive" or not install...annoying, no partition options and i dont want to risk it and continue with erase drive in case it does literally erase the whole drive

You have that option. If I remeber well.... you have to select the drive that you want to partition and then select manual. after that you'll be able to select the free space for your xbmc install. The only problem is that theres no OS boot option during startup.
lifeisfun Wrote:Select the last option, it will give you choice later to repartition ( if needed)

Ok so just to confirm, i follow these steps:

Boot into USB XBMC Live installer

Select "Install to XBMC to disk (HDD or USB)"

Press a key to continue...ok

Choose disk to use (Gives me only one choice, /dev/sda (156290), which is the full capacity of the internal HDD that has a 130GB NTFS XP partition on it that i want to keep.

Do you want the installer to handle it as a removable disk instead - Yes/No does this make a difference?

And then the furthest i get to is...

Erasing disk /dev/sda, proceed?

So i abort there because it really looks like if i say yes im going to lose my XP partition and a few hours of my time in the process. Sad

So are you saying that if i choose yes on that last option my XP install will be ok?
Pages: 1 2