Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Keymaps XBMC live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Revo 3610 running the latest xbmc live and am trying to map a button on my MCE remote. I would like the blue button to open visualizations. I am not sure which file I need to change. I have been reviewing the remote.xml and lirc.xml located in the directory /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata. When I look at the lirc I can see that blue shows <blue>Blue</blue> and when I check the remote xml I can see blue shows <blue>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures)</blue> under global. I have found out that Tab on the keyboard opens visualizations while in music so I need to map the blue button to it. Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Isn't it already mapped on the remote? Try the button below button #?
It is mapped to blue but not Tab. I simply just want to change the action that occurs when the button is pressed.

Thanks
Try <blue>FullScreen</blue> in your remote.xml file

Just so you know in order to cross reference a keyboard button to an action aka press button A does so so... so you can edit the remote button to do the same. You have to look at the keyboard.xml file which by default is located in /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps. There is an xml file for each input, keyboard, remote, xbox controller, joystick even.

Read up on how default vs the version in home dir works

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml#U...al_Remotes

Essentially the version in /home/USER/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps folder is for customization and only the specific changes you want should be in there (remove all other sections from the xml file, aka if you still have to keep the general structure of the code but remove the COMMANDS).

This way when you update xbmc you remote customizations are still in effect with out having to re-edit them, while at the same time anything new will take effect as well.

Example... This is just an example not the whole file...

Here is the original text in the xml

<global>
<keyboard>
<p>Play</p>
<q>Queue</q>
<f>FastForward</f>
</keyboard>
</global>

Lets say you want to only edit the Play button (leaving fast forward etc default). You would copy the xml from the usr/share... dir to /home/USER/... dir then delete everything you want to stay default and edit like...

<global>
<keyboard>
<p>EDITED PLAY ACTION COMMAND</p>
</keyboard>
</global>

Notice I had to keep the structure of the file... think of it like folders... Global is the parent folder, which has a folder called Keyboard. The commands are in the keyboard folder... I have to keep the folders the way they are (but could delete another folders/sections if I have no commands to change in them) but the files/commands are removed/edited.

XBMC always looks for commands in the xml file in the /home/USER... location FIRST. If it doesn't find a command, it then checks the default location of /usr/share... etc
@dandirk so, I take it that commands in the /home/user folder override commands in the /usr/share even if they contradict each other??

I noticed the other day, when upgrading from the RC2 of Camelot to the Final 9.11 release, that some of my controls where changed. Whereas before Play would bring up the Context Menu and Pause would function as both Play/Pause in the Beta, on the Final 9.11 release, Play and Pause both worked as Play and Pause and the Context menu was now mapped to Guide.

I am guessing I messed around with the keymaps in /usr/share and not in /home/user hence my changes were overwritten. However, I am pretty sure I only ever came across one copy of the keymap.xml and remote.xml and not two...
Yup sorry been out of town.

Yes the /home/user overrides the default location. You have already noticed the importance of using the /home/ location, your customizations will be removed when you update xbmc if you only use the default location/files.

That is also why it is important to only put the needed changes in there instead of ALL the commands. You can copy the default files to your /home/... location and just remove the sections that aren't needed.
Coolio, duly noted, I'll update the correct files in future.