Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC randomly semi-crashes w/no sound (Acer Revo)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

I run XBMC on an Acer Revo which is on all day and runs Ubuntu 9.10. When I get in in the evening, XBMC is sitting showing the screensaver (slideshow of fan art), and when I press a button on the remote it takes a few seconds to respond. After that, the menus etc work correctly, but there's no sound. If I try to exit XBMC in order to restart it (either thru the power menu, or via killall on the terminal), it freezes with 100% CPU, and I have to kill it with a killall -9. If I restart it, sound is back again.

Info:

1. version is xbmc/karmic uptodate 1:9.11-karmic1
2. Linux distro is Ubuntu 9.10
3. Architecture is i686 (Intel Atom)
4. Install method was PPA
5. SVN version: r26018 (24 Dec 2009)
6. I can't really reproduce the problem, as I don't know when/why it happens. The system is idle when it occurs. It may be of relevance that I run Deluge with the Web UI as a daemon, and occasionally access that during the day. I've also got the original Xbox controller set up with lirc. The system is otherwise vanilla.
7. Pastebin log of xbmc.log here: http://www.pastebin.ca/1751386 (there is some stuff in there about the iplayer plugin (which crashed last night, but that's a separate issue.. that was the first time it was used, and the issue i'm talking about has happened repeatedly for several days) which presumably can be ignored.
8. System specs are standard Acer Revo R3600 - Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB ram, 160gig hdd, nVidia ION gfx
9. Kernel version is Linux 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

If I can give any more useful info please let me know.

Any help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated Smile
Same thing happened today, except instead of going to shut down, I tried to run a tv show file (nb the sound was broken, as before), and it froze with 100% CPU on xbmc.bin.

Here is the latest xbmc.log, from yesterday's reboot to today's crash (it might be more helpful than the last one): http://pastebin.com/m27fc6a34

Any help would be much appreciated! Having to SSH in to kill XBMC, then go to the machine and manually run it again, is really annoying!

Also, I don't know if it's of any relevance, but there are a load of pulseaudio entries in the system logs. For example, here is syslog: http://pastebin.com/m4e55ec2c (there are earlier entries but they just repeat the innocuous stuff. Note that the pulseaudio problems appear at ~1720, which is when I would have turned the TV on and pressed a button on the remote).
Is there an easy way to reproduce the crash/hang? Exact instructions needed Wink
vdrfan Wrote:Is there an easy way to reproduce the crash/hang? Exact instructions needed Wink

I'm afraid not, since it doesn't happen when I'm using the machine. I tried disabling the screensaver (because there were debug log entries about missing thumbnails) but that didn't work. Curiously, when I left debug logging on for a day, it didn't seem to happen (although I can't be certain that this made the difference).

Are there any other logs I can provide? I could upload a deubg log tomorrow (but it's about 5meg after a day!) when it happens again. Failing that, are there any system logs which might be of use?
I can confirm that my revo does the same thing. If I leave my revo overnight and come back to it, the sound while navigating menus is gone and when I try to watch anything or exit, it locks up.

I've reloaded a couple of time. Any body have a fix yet?
I have the same problem with the following system:

Linux 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu
SMP i686 GNU/Linux

Description : Ubuntu 9.10
Release : 9.10
Codename : karmic

XBMC was installed using PPA for Ubuntu.
Numerous people are experiencing this problem. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66124 with 50+ postings has more details. I am not sure that much will be done with this until the merge is complete. If the bug still exists after the merge, then we might see some movement on this issue.
While we're waiting on a fix, I've been scouring the web to find a key combination that will allow me to kill the xbmc.bin process easily. So far I've been forced to <Ctrl><Alt>F1 into runlevel 1, log in and kill the process via terminal or reboot the machine. I tried creating a custom keyboard shortcut in gnome (ubuntu 9.10) but these seem to get ignored once XBMC goes full screen. The shortcut only works if XBMC is in windowed mode.

Since moving off my XBox and onto an HTPC, I've been missing the old dual trigger + black and back combo :-(

I need to find something "girlfriend" friendly ;-)
Any suggestions?