Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: one episode two parts - how to name?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a tv-show called "the lost room"

it has its own folder like all other tv-shows.

the show has 3 episodes, but i have 6 avi files.

currently they named as follow:

The Lost Room - S01E01 Part1.avi
The Lost Room - S01E01 Part2.avi
The Lost Room - S01E02 Part1.avi
The Lost Room - S01E02 Part2.avi
The Lost Room - S01E03 Part1.avi
The Lost Room - S01E03 Part2.avi

if xbmc scrapes the show i end up with a list something like this:

The Lost Room - S01E01 - name of episode 1
The Lost Room - S01E01 - name of episode 1
The Lost Room - S01E02 - name of episode 2
The Lost Room - S01E02 - name of episode 2
The Lost Room - S01E03 - name of episode 3
The Lost Room - S01E03 - name of episode 3

how the files must be named correctly, for xbmc to see it as 3 episodes.

in my movie folders this file naming works. movies with multiple files end up as one movie.
how do i achieve the same for tv-show episodes?
This is covered fairly extensively in the wiki.
It's not supported. Your best bet is either dealing with the naming that it's done for you, joining the files together, or waiting for a revamp of the scanners to work on it.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Nice, my dyslexia must've been in full swing earlier. I read that completely back asswards.
The best way is to join them imho (you end up with a cleaner library as well) it's not a long progress as the files don't need to be re-encoded, only remuxed (it's typically about 35secs for a movie split into two parts) try the following:

1. Get a program called AVI-Mux GUI (Available here: http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/)
  2. Extract the files to a folder anywhere you want (A folder called avimuxgui on the Desktop is a good place).
  3. Double Click on AVIMux_GUI.exe.
  4. Once the program has started drag Part 1 then Part 2 of the files you want to join into the big "open files" box.
  5. Hold down CTRL on your keyboard, and click on both parts to select them.
  6. Tick the "all audio streams" box, and if the file has them (and you want to keep them) the "all subtitle streams" box as well (you can also just keep it ticked, regardless of whether the file has subtitles or not).
  7. Hit the "generate data source from files" button.
  8. Click the "start" button at the bottom -- a Save Dialogue will open allowing you to choose a name and place to save the newly merged file. Name it with the original SxxExx naming scheme.
  9. The program should begin merging the files immediately and let you know when it's done. Rinse and repeat for all other files.
  10. Note this works with multiple parts (not just two) and works with other formats like MKV too.
Hope that helps.
Hi...is anyone aware of a similar free tool for Mac users (I am also limited to Tiger on PPC...I notice lots of tools no longer support this). Thanks.
Thank you for the great tip, Xeijin!
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows#Mul...e_Episodes

It would seem that XBMC will support adding "part1", "part 2", etc. to your filenames but the feature is currently disabled.
Hi all

I found a simple workaround for this one when ripping Miami Vice season one recently (yes, I know, I know, it was for Mrs Edz... Honest Laugh)

Create the files so they are named the same, e.g.

The Lost Room S01E01 - The Key and The Clock Part 1.avi
The Lost Room S01E01 - The Key and The Clock Part 2.avi
The Lost Room S01E01 - The Key and The Clock Part 3.avi
The Lost Room S01E01 - The Key and The Clock Part 4.avi
etc.

Then update the library

You'll end up with something like

1 The Key and The Clock
1 The Key and The Clock
1 The Key and The Clock
1 The Key and The Clock

Then move over the episode and from the context menu select rename title and add part 1 etc to the names.

Simple and a pain if you had hundreds of multipart stories but for the odd episode this is simpler than joining files (or is if you're converting from DVD!)

Cheers

Edz
Xeijin Wrote:The best way is to join them imho (you end up with a cleaner library as well) it's not a long progress as the files don't need to be re-encoded, only remuxed (it's typically about 35secs for a movie split into two parts) try the following:

1. Get a program called AVI-Mux GUI (Available here: http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/)
  2. Extract the files to a folder anywhere you want (A folder called avimuxgui on the Desktop is a good place).
  3. Double Click on AVIMux_GUI.exe.
  4. Once the program has started drag Part 1 then Part 2 of the files you want to join into the big "open files" box.
  5. Hold down CTRL on your keyboard, and click on both parts to select them.
  6. Tick the "all audio streams" box, and if the file has them (and you want to keep them) the "all subtitle streams" box as well (you can also just keep it ticked, regardless of whether the file has subtitles or not).
  7. Hit the "generate data source from files" button.
  8. Click the "start" button at the bottom -- a Save Dialogue will open allowing you to choose a name and place to save the newly merged file. Name it with the original SxxExx naming scheme.
  9. The program should begin merging the files immediately and let you know when it's done. Rinse and repeat for all other files.
  10. Note this works with multiple parts (not just two) and works with other formats like MKV too.
Hope that helps.

Apologies for resurrecting a slightly old thread like this, but just wanted to thank you for linking that program. Had this exact problem and a Google search led me to this thread. Merging my files like a champ now. Thanks!
This same show gave me problems when I was first setting it up as it was released differently on TV than it was with the DVD releases. This is the only show that I manually edited my .nfo files for. The original .nfos were created by SickBeard (although a dump from XBMC would have been the same).