Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [APPLE TV] mounting external drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
finally, I have been able to get XBMC with crystal HD support installed on my aTV. as far as I can tell everything works as it supposed to, however I cannot test the most important thing: video playback.
when I hook up an external USB hard drive, it doesn't seem to be recognized.
I tried adding the movies folder as a source, but the drive doesn't show up.
the hard drive is HFS (journaled) formatted. is there anything I should be doing to get it mounted that I'm not aware of? I was under the impression that I can simply hook up the drive via USB and XBMC would recognize it automatically?
I'm using r26517 if that's important to note.
Acces to external USB hdd's is not enabled by default. An easy way to enable it is to use nitotv:

- In the finder go to SoftwareMenu -> 3rd party -> NitoTV -> install
- Restart finder
- With NitoTV installed go to NitoTV -> Settings -> Install software -> Smartupdate (long download alert)

After a reboot the ATV should now recognize any external hdd's which you attach to the USB drive.

Good luck.
thanks Elbert,that worked flawlessly..
the smart update wasn't too painful either Wink
Elbert Wrote:Acces to external USB hdd's is not enabled by default. An easy way to enable it is to use nitotv:

- In the finder go to SoftwareMenu -> 3rd party -> NitoTV -> install
- Restart finder
- With NitoTV installed go to NitoTV -> Settings -> Install software -> Smartupdate (long download alert)

After a reboot the ATV should now recognize any external hdd's which you attach to the USB drive.

Good luck.

Where is this software menu that you are referring to? I am working on installing NitoTV on to a 1st Gen Apple TV and the last couple of steps are not working. Able to Putty into Apple TV and get in correct directory for Nito TV, but when I issue the sudo ./installme command and enter the frontrow password, it gives me a command not found error. I tried the ssh instructions, but it I get an access denied error when using frontrow as the password. I have heard that installing NitoTV the way you mentioned above works for some, but I'm not sure what the "finder" is that you are referring to. I am working on a Windows 7 32-bit machine, not sure if that's the problem.
wondering the same
I followed instructions here when I did mine. It works fine.
http://www.todaywasawesome.com/enable-us...-apple-tv/
hmm I never saw the : "go NitoTV -> Settings -> Install Software -> Smart Installer"
Cant find NitoTV?!