Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External subs for all platforms question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tested this on my Atv and windows pc with up to date XBMC.

With .MKV's and .srt files I can get subtitles to play.
I am trying to get external subs to work with .ISO's and have no success. Im sure this goes for all platforms.

Can external subs be used with .ISO's?

I have searched on the forums and didn't find any threads related to my question.

thanks
probably not - but you can browse for them afterwards. it's rather tricky to use them with iso's automagically - menus and shit gets in the way. which title does it apply to? etc.
A good example is Starwars Ep 1 Phantom Menace.

The movie has forced english subs, but apparently they are in a video stream.

What I was looking to do is rip all my movies in .ISO with no subs and the movies with forced subs I would download the files and play them that way.
If you are ripping your movies, why would you not want to include forced subs?
prae5 Wrote:If you are ripping your movies, why would you not want to include forced subs?

The forced subs are the non english subs when someone speaks another language.

If you played the dvd in a regular player these subs would come up even if you didnt have subtitles turned on.
I understand that, but why wouldn't you want to embed them when ripping?
I guess xbmc doesn't respect forced subs then if your asking this question never tried myself ?

Forced subs are actually within the full English subs for all dialogue with the non English parts having the forced flag you can easily rip just the forced parts to srt those are what you can download you can add those to dvds and retain the menus but its a tricky process, not all dvds have forced subs some are still a separate stream just containing non English

Personally I would just rip those movies to mkv with makemkv and forget about menus
>>X<<' Wrote:I guess xbmc doesn't respect forced subs then if your asking this question never tried myself ?

Forced subs are actually within the full English subs for all dialogue with the non English parts having the forced flag you can easily rip just the forced parts to srt those are what you can download you can add those to dvds and retain the menus but its a tricky process, not all dvds have forced subs some are still a separate stream just containing non English

Personally I would just rip those movies to mkv with makemkv and forget about menus

Thats what I have done. When I ripped them to .mkv with makemkv I kept an english sub in every movie not knowing it wasnt the forced subs.

With the Starwars movie the forced subs are a separate video stream so they wont be embedded in the video .

When I play an .ISO with the forced sub you can barely read the sub. Its not bright enough. I started a thread about the opacity of subs for .ISO's and no one responded so I guess I will go back to using .mkv's

So know I'm going to use mkvmerge to delete all the subs I left in the files and then have .srt files for the movies that have forced subs.
Can't say i've ever had any problems with forced subs on iso's.

Just seems a very round about way to achieve it, if you have problems with the iso's you could always through it through makemkv and it will give you a mkv with the embedded sub.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Thats what I have done. When I ripped them to .mkv with makemkv I kept an english sub in every movie not knowing it wasnt the forced subs.

With the Starwars movie the forced subs are a separate video stream so they wont be embedded in the video .

When I play an .ISO with the forced sub you can barely read the sub. Its not bright enough. I started a thread about the opacity of subs for .ISO's and no one responded so I guess I will go back to using .mkv's

So know I'm going to use mkvmerge to delete all the subs I left in the files and then have .srt files for the movies that have forced subs.

Think your still a little confused about forced subs, dvds either have a stream with full subs and another with just non English meaning it needs two streams or a stream with full English with the non English having the forced flag so only one stream needed to do two jobs

But if xbmc respects forced subs I don't understand the need for the question as I said never used it myself for dvds
XBMC will play an .ISO with a sub, but its barely visible with the Starwars movie I mentioned.
I posted this on 1/10/10 and didn't get any responses.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66807

When I tested a .mkv with external subs it was more visible and it worked I wondered why I couldn't just do that with a .iso.

I can get .mkv's with embedded subs to work fine, but like I said earlier I wasn't thinking when I first ripped all my DVD's I left a english sub in all the files. So if I leave subs on in XBMC it will play the subs that I don't want played in the rest of my movies.

Maybe I should rerip all my movies with MakeMKV and only leave subs in the files of the DVD's with forced subs.

Edit.. It looks like The phantom Menace is the only .ISO that is giving me the barely visible subs.