Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: start/stop XBMC with remote but let the system run?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm very new to XBMC and just started with it. I got myself a Zotac mini itx ION mainboard and after half a dozen test installs I finally got it to the point where it's working like I'd like to have it (at least for a start). Using Ubuntu and some of the guides here in the forum and the wiki. The box should not only be a media player though but I want it to do a few things "on the side" - it should act as a local mail server, file server, download box and as such be running 24/7.

I have a remote (an HP mce remote) working and I can switch the entire system off with it (switching it on doesn't work yet - probably a BIOS setting or something). What I would like to do is that hitting the power button on the remote only starts XBMC or stops XBMC but doesn't do anything to the host system.

Does anyone how this could be done? I tried searching the forum/wiki/internet but couldn't really find (admittedly I didn't really know what to search for either ...)

thnx,
jibe
I'm just starting to look into this as well, or at least the start functionality. The stop function can be set in the system settings in xbmc - look for power saving. I will keep looking for a while more and if I can't find it or not a clear answer I'll post about it. Let me know if you find it..
You can set XBMC, as above, to exit instead of shutting down the system. If you're using XBMC Live you can remove the -standalone from the command line.

As for starting XBMC this can be done using irxevent. I think there is a way to have irxevent listen for the power button and execute XBMC, but if it is running then another operation can be defined for instance, like "do nothing."

Then when xbmc isn't running it runs it, and when it is running, it lets XBMC handle the call and it allows XBMC to shut itself down.
Hi guys, some time ago I used a Packard Bell remote control to work with xbmc. I find a nice website from a crowd of some german schoolkids named http://www.x10receiver.net. There you find a small programm which can nearly personalize all common rc's. With this little programm it's possible to put specific functions on the several buttons of your RC. So I were able to start xbmc with a green button and close the programm with a red button.
Greetings from germany