Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] 480i and 576i video output from XBMC on Apple TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I' considering buying a Apple TV and installing XBMC. The main use would be to display photos and play DVD rips - perhaps also bluray rips when the support is mature enough.

As I own a quite good scaler/videoprocessor (a DVDO Edge), I'm interested in getting a box that can output the original interlaced signal that is stored on DVDs. I would prefer a "source direct" setting where output is always in the same format as the source material - 576i for PAL DVDs, 1080p24 for bluray movies etc. If that is not possible, I would still like to be able to select interlaced output manually like I presently do on my bluray player (I was too cheap to pay for one with source direct).

Are any of these options available in XBMC on ATV?

If not, how is the quality of the de-interlacing and scaling?

Also I have read something about XBMC not handling interlaced material properly, what is that about?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
I didn't express myself very clearly, so I will try asking asking again in a less cryptic way:

Is it possible to set XBMC/apple TV to output 576i?

I read about XBMC not deinterlacing native interlaced content such as TV-shows correctly (deinterlacing PAL TV to 25p instead of 50p).
Is this still the case?

What about de-interlacing native progressive material from DVD rips? Will XBMC do proper weave or just use BOB?
Hi Andy

Just looked at my ATV and indeed it shows the option for 576i. I actually use 576p connected to my Panasonic plasma.

HTH

Mark
spiderlane Wrote:Hi Andy

Just looked at my ATV and indeed it shows the option for 576i. I actually use 576p connected to my Panasonic plasma.

HTH

Mark

Thanks a lot!

Got a pana plasma too - quite nice :o)

Is your ATV connected to your panasonic plasma by a HDMI cable? Is the 576i setting one you set in the ATV user interface, or is it one you set inside XBMC? Do you remember which ATV OS version you are running - the newest?

The reason I ask is because I recently saw a screenshot of the video settings page in the ATV user interface, and it didn't show 576i as an option, only 576p.

If you've got the time, could you try to set the output to 576i and then compare the image quality when playing a DVD rip with the quality you get when playing the actual DVD on a 576i capable DVD player (if yours support 576i)?
The reason I ask this is because of the problems XBMC has with de-interlacing of natively interlaced material, and I'm worried that these problems might also affect handling of material that is originally progressive. Even though a DVD movie is native progressive material and the fields should just be weaved after doing 3:2 pulldown (or 2:2 in the case of PAL DVDs), I fear that XBMC will somehow de-interlace the movie using its flawed method of throwing half the fields away and then just interlacing it again.

Sorry for being so inquisitive, but I can't stand the idea of loosing half the vertical resolution because of improper video processing.

Regards
Andy
Hi Andy,

Sorry forgot about this. My plasma is connected via component (the panel pre-dates HDMI). The 575i/575p settings are on the ATV setup screens rather than XBMC

I'll see if I can compare some movies for you some time

Cheers
Mark