Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] Possibility to use QuickTime as an External Player in XBMC on Apple TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I had a look in the previous threads but I couldn't find anything.
I'd like to use the externalplayer feature of XBMC to play all my movies with the default AppleTv Quicktime player (but inside XBMC) so I will be able to play any format (having Perian installed) but also using the GPU acceleration for 720p HD converted mp4 file.
I tried to find out which is the path for quicktime on the ATV without success...

<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename> HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? </filename>
<args></args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>

Is that possible on the AppleTV?
Please help.

Cheers,
Fabio
AFAIK this isn't possible on ATV, I had the same thought and discussed it some weeks back with Davilla. The problem (as far as I see it) is that the ATV Front Row software uses QuickTime through private libraries instead of having a full, stand-alone player application installed.

There are other browsers (e.g. Sapphire) that are written as frappliances (Front Row Appliance, a kind of plugin) that get access to the inbuilt quicktime libraries and these will take advantage of all your Perian codecs along with Apples hardware assisted H.264, but XBMC is a full stand-alone application and can't benefit from this.

For now (for me) I find the best way is to use Sapphire for 720p files and XBMC for everything else... there will come a day in the near future when it's all possible Wink
Exactly, this is what I am doing now but with NitoTV instead of Sapphire.
I use nitoTV for Hd movies using quicktime as player and XBMC for the rest but it's not ideal obviously.

Thanks,
fabio
So here i am again. (sorry devs)

But i read in the wiki that is possible to change the default player withing XBMC. Is this true? If so is this possible on the ATV?

I tried to locate the default Quicktime player within the ATV but couldnt find it anywere. I find a folder named Quicktime but its empty.?

I know Sapphire and NitoTV uses it so would solve all my problems if this is possible.

Thanks
jooz Wrote:So here i am again. (sorry devs)

But i read in the wiki that is possible to change the default player withing XBMC. Is this true? If so is this possible on the ATV?

I tried to locate the default Quicktime player within the ATV but couldnt find it anywere. I find a folder named Quicktime but its empty.?

I know Sapphire and NitoTV uses it so would solve all my problems if this is possible.

Thanks

Quicktime player as a standalone app does not exist under the AppleTV, Sapphire and NitoTV are using the internal frontrow private API available to frontrow plugins. XBMC for Mac/ATV is not a frontrow plugin so it does not have access to this API.
Ok thanks guys for the respons. Now to maybe get jumped of highjacking this thread. I know its possible to install VLC player on the ATV, if so would this then be possible to use this as a external player?

Dont know if it would work any good but could be worth a try.

Thanks again.
jooz Wrote:Ok thanks guys for the respons. Now to maybe get jumped of highjacking this thread. I know its possible to install VLC player on the ATV, if so would this then be possible to use this as a external player?

Dont know if it would work any good but could be worth a try.

Thanks again.

@jooz, you seem to be jumping about try to solve an unsolvable problem (without crystalhd that is). frontrow uses a private API to enable some form of hw acceleration. That API is not available to ANYTHING that is not a plugin. So it's futile to expect any external player to perform better than what you see in XBMC. That's reality.
davilla Wrote:@jooz, you seem to be jumping about try to solve an unsolvable problem (without crystalhd that is). frontrow uses a private API to enable some form of hw acceleration. That API is not available to ANYTHING that is not a plugin. So it's futile to expect any external player to perform better than what you see in XBMC. That's reality.

Ah crap Sad alright then, ill leave it. Thank you anyway.