Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(deltop @ mar. 29 2005,17:16 Wrote:
(denka @ mar. 24 2005,21:06 Wrote:i didn't spend $50 for nothing, or did i!?
you did not "spend" $50 you "donated" $50, there's a big difference and supadawg tried to point that out to you. you seem not to have gotten his point however.
dontated or not, they're still spent.
(deltop @ mar. 29 2005,16:16 Wrote:
(denka @ mar. 24 2005,21:06 Wrote:i didn't spend $50 for nothing, or did i!?
you did not "spend" $50 you "donated" $50, there's a big difference and supadawg tried to point that out to you. you seem not to have gotten his point however.
i just find it entertaining that he tried to throw it back at me telling me to "read the topic" as if i was some troll who's been here since 2003 and made 8 posts or something.
(supadawg @ mar. 30 2005,00:50 Wrote:i just find it entertaining that he tried to throw it back at me telling me to "read the topic" as if i was some troll who's been here since 2003 and made 8 posts or something.
you can address me as you.

i don't care for how long you've been around.

the topic says; "donations for dvd-menu in xbmc campaign" meaning the donations is for a specific cause.
denka,

this is not a place to flame, troll or be an asshole. admins have no tolernace for such nonsence. it is counter productive. present arguments and facts, not insults.

supadawg is correct, the point being made is you did not purchase anything. you are correct, the donation you made was for dvd-menu support.

your monies have not been spent on crack and beer. as has been explained to you before, the money will sit until the menus are compelete and the team decides how to fairly distribute the money to thoes who were involved.

the point of the donation campain was to entice developers who have experiance coding multimedia software and ifo parsers to join the project and help code this difficult portion. you money is still doing what it was originally intended to do.

you have not been lied to, cheated, or in any way shape or form stolen of these funds. it was your responsibility to realize what was happening to this money (which was clearly outlined in the various posts about the dvd-menu donation campain)

Quote:the 'donations for dvd-menu in xbmc campaign' basic concept is to encourage xbmc end-users to make donations (via paypal) into a fund in order to motivate the xbmc developers to prioritize programming dvd-video menu/navigation support for xbmc.
Quote:the xbmc developer(s) who code this huge feature will collect the fund-pot on completion as a reward
source : http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/...cppmij.php

reading this it is ovious that
a) money will go towards the developers who complete dvd menu support and;
b) thats it is a donation
c) that this project is a huge feature

simply put, just because you misunderstood what you were donating towards does not mean you are somehow entitled to magically have the menus finished.

progress is well documented, the source of the progress if freely available. they money is still in the 'pot' since the feature is still incomplete.

xbmc has kept its end of the bargin. maybe you could try and keep yours
(loto_bak @ mar. 30 2005,01:48 Wrote:alot
i know all this.
i'm not here to flame or troll.

i just said it would be nice to see some progress (read about it in another place than the actual source).

it wouldn't take long to write a few lines about how far the dvd-menu project has come.
open source projects use changelogs and mailing lists for updates.

mailing lists contain each and every update in detail. the nature of understanding the xbmc project and the changes that are implimented require that you understand how multimedia, cpp and various other technical aspects work. this information is far too complex and large to put into a consise changelog

changelogs contain major changes
heck, just use dvd-x for now... i dont see what the big deal is.

patience... patience.

better yet, code it yourself. i'll donate $50 to you if you can write it from the ground up, provide constant updates and fully complete the project...
settle down, the guy donated $50, and dvd-x is free so that's not much of a recommendation. all he wants is a brief update like appears occasionally here. you are right in that the changelogs require in-depth knowledge of the code. so how about once a month someone from the dvd team jots down a five line short list of updates/features/whatever.

before you flame, i am not requesting the above, it's just a suggestion to save you time thinking about how best to keep such requesters content. they pay their money not for xbmc, but for work on the dvd support. hey, maybe they have paid for both, who knows?. the fact is that regardless of the regular protestations of the developers, you really *do* owe them something. you got into that the moment you asked for donations. they may be wrong to ask for releases anytime soon, but a short, simple interpreted update once a month or so would go a long way. if you have a list of those who donate, maybe you could e-mail it to them so that they feel a bit special, feel like they are in the loop. again, for the developers and their fans, that's a suggestion, not a demand.

there was just such an update posted here a while back. one of those would be fine. that way you don't have to answer any update requests. you could even put a reminder at the end of each quick update to that effect.

less stress for everyone?
re: supadawg... a donation is a donation quite right... and those who donated have the right to find out how much have been donated so far.... we need a tally on the $$$ in the bank. quit being a know it all ass in some of your opinions...

Quote:(supadawg @ mar. 29 2005,07:44)
i cannot begin to understand the complete audacity of some people.

a donation is just that "a donation"

failed third grade you say? lets follow that in detail.

---------------------------------------------

donation - (do·na·tion)
n.

1. the act of giving to a fund or cause.
i suggest everyone settle down a notch or two

1. the project manager who handles the $ is currently moving from country a. to country.b, and switching job on top of that. such things take time and before he returns the fund $ is unknown. let's take a few deep breaths and see what he has to say when he returns.

2. the developer (yes 1) of said new dvdplayer 'core' has just moved house also, which explains the slow progress lately (discussed earlier in this thread)

we all want this to be done & finished yesterday at the latest, but it's a huge project and some minor things have come inbetween.
anomaly has some good ideas i am a keen suporter of the xbmc project infact it is the only reason i still have my xbox. i also seem to have converted a few people into using xbmc.

i have to say that as yet i have not donated to the cause but will contribute once i have my finances sorted (i am now a daddy :o so my money is not my own anymore Sad ) but if there were plain english updates i would be possibly inclined to donate more or more often.

i am sure other potential/current donaters would feel the same. this might also help fuel the developers motivation.

before some one get the hump for me giving my opinion. i am happy to wait as long as it takes (i develop myself so i know what its like)

keep up the good work and everyone just take it easy and think about how good xbmc is without dvd menu support then think is it really worth getting upset about!
(pike @ mar. 30 2005,12:09 Wrote:i suggest everyone settle down a notch or two
<cut>
we all want this to be done & finished yesterday at the latest, but it's a huge project and some minor things have come inbetween.
actually, no pike. i think that is a misunderstanding. it's not that people actually want it released yesterday. have a read of my post a little further above. what will help is a simple - monthly  - update.

if people have some idea of what is happening -posted here- then i think they will settle down.

smokeman

an update would be much welcomed. it has been a while since we've heard anything on the non-developer side about this feature. i am hopeful for this feature, since it seems to be the only dashboard that will let me play my iso collection from an smb share.
having the menu work from my stored iso's would be the ultimate to me.
if you need updates, look at the changelog and search for dvd. you can see updates are being made.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xb...ngelog.txt

ts
helps to read back a few posts... ah, who am i kidding. ok, i'll do this month's one. here are the highlights.

sun apr 24 :
fixed: stuff up with ac3/dts passthrough with dvdplayer and fixes to discontinuity handling.
fixed: selecing audiotrack from dvdmenu should now be fully working

fri apr 15 :
updated: libdvdnav.dll and libdvdcss-2.dll with support for largefiles (>2gb, using our custom headers)
added: workround for next chapter/prev chapter which reuse global action_codes
fixed: seeking didn't work at all in dvdplayer when playing dvd's
fixed: initial highlight was displayed immidiatly when found instead of delayed as it should.

wed apr 13:
fixed: highlighting in dvdmenu failed if an menu with different highlighting scheme had been displayed before
fixed: dvdplayer didn't work at all as it's pixelshader source had been removed
added: new virtual window for dvdplayer when in menu mode. allows nicer keymappings.

thu mar 10 :
fixed: selecting video_ts.ifo on a dvd would not initiate playback properly.
fixed: any dll's atempting to use stat on a dvd would always return success with invalid properties set
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8