Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: High cpu usage when xbmc not doing anything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I start xbmc from .xsessionrc with
/usr/bin/xbmc -n -fs

gdm auto logins for me.

when it is sitting there doing nothing - its finished its scanning. it still seems to take up ~15-30% on htop, when I do a strace of it, it is looking at /proc/meminfo - that seems to be all its doing ?

Is that normal ??

A
I admit I don't know what the -n flag does when run with xbmc, so if it is not the same thing as XBMC standalone, I'd recommend you use it.

To know for sure whether Gnome is the cause, I'd try running XBMC-standalone as opposed to running it on top of Gnome. It removes a lot of variables that could possibly be causing the CPU usage.

sudo-apt-get install xbmc-standalone

If this is the same thing and you're already running XBMC-standalone, then I'd say the CPU usage is not that far outside of the norm. Smile
That usage is normal. XBMC renders in a game loop at 60FPS. That's quiet a few calculations happening even it's "not doing anything." Disable that on screen debug info will buy you a few percent. If you're worried about it, enable the "black" screensaver, which also drops the frame limiter to 5fps or so. If you're REALLY worried about it, we'd be happy to review your event based rendering patches. Wink
althekiller Wrote:That usage is normal. XBMC renders in a game loop at 60FPS. That's quiet a few calculations happening even it's "not doing anything." Disable that on screen debug info will buy you a few percent. If you're worried about it, enable the "black" screensaver, which also drops the frame limiter to 5fps or so. If you're REALLY worried about it, we'd be happy to review your event based rendering patches. Wink

Just so I understand, while it is sitting doing nothing - don't have a screen saver it is still running at 60fps. Okay.

and I presume xbmc idles by reading /proc/meminfo ?

I will try the blank screen saver
No, it reads /proc/meminfo to update that debug info you have on for some odd reason.