Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: File organization, suggestion for best method?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to read my way through the wiki to catch up on the many things about xbmc that I don't know from fumbling my way through it and using it. There's something very simple however that I can't find there and didn't find in a quick search here...

What is the suggested way to organize media files? More specifically... I've decided to back up my movie collection as iso images instead of rips to a folder. Is it recommended to place each iso file inside a separate folder of the movie name, or just leave multiple movie files inside a more generic directory like "movies" or "kids movies" or "tv series"? Does it matter for database, portability, scraping, or any other purposes whether the nfo, posters, fanart etc. are stored in a separate folder for each movie or just all lumped together in the generic directories?

Also, I've read about how to utilize movie sets in the wiki, and will worry about that when I've completed the backup of my collection and built the library. Is there any reason to put collections in a single folder?

I'm trying out the Ember Media manager to help organize my collection if that makes any difference in the response.