Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anyone else still struggling with ATI and about to change to nVidia?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've about had enough of ATI. Thinking it might be easiest to just get a PCI-E nVidia card.

Here are the problems I still seem to be having. Anyone else on ATI have the same problems or am I doing something wrong?

1) I can't use the Advanced GL shaders for the Renderer. If I do, playback results in a smudgy blurry mess regardless of content type. This means I can't set to "Auto-Detect" because that seems to thing the Advanced GL shaders should work. I have to manually set to the Basic shaders.
2) If I turn on "Sync Playback to Display", as soon as I stop a video I get a black screen and nothing works from then on and I can't kill the xbmc.bin process. sudo kill -9 doesn't even manage to kill the process. I have to reboot the machine.

I've got an onboard HD3200 motherboard with HDMI out with the 9.12 Catalyst drivers.
Hi,

I got rid out of Ati several years ago. Their (no-)support for Unix is poor. Since I changed to Nvidia I have never had any problem with graphics.

Specially combination of Ubuntu & Nvidia GPU - never heard about problems...

So go for the change Rofl
DO IT!! Rofl

i have the same card on-board & the same expereice.
i disabled it & dropped in a nVidia card for $100... & ill never go back

i found this article on gizmodo very helpful. the one i got is probebly overkill if upscaled SD or HD video playback is your only goal.

( i dual boot & get my frag on every now and then Wink &)
now i have perfect playback
I thought I would never go back either. Until I realized that Nvidia cards dont give out the correct colorspace to most TVs (16-235) for the desktop. You can only adjust videos with overlays, which XBMC doesnt use.
I am having the same issues with the advanced shaders as well. So in my situation I am screwed either way.
SlaveUnit Wrote:I thought I would never go back either. Until I realized that Nvidia cards dont give out the correct colorspace to most TVs (16-235) for the desktop. You can only adjust videos with overlays, which XBMC doesnt use.
I am having the same issues with the advanced shaders as well. So in my situation I am screwed either way.

Use the 'VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion' option...
I have an HD4200 based IGP and it worked very well with advanced shaders.
However I ended up upgrading to an Nvidia GT220 because I can't see there ever being decent 50Hz de-interlacing with ATI video under LINUX.

Stu-e
Tried building a PC with ATI graphics to replace my XBOX, eneded up getting an ASUS ION board instead... Best money spent...
motd2k Wrote:Use the 'VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion' option...

I came across this thread in a search. I should have noticed it was linux before I posted. I am running windows so there is no option with colorspace on my version. Obviously since there is no VDPAU decoding on it as of now.

Thanks for the reply though.
For my Windows 7 box I use Ati, 4870, but my Linux Based XBMC build will be Nvidia. It's a real shame that UVD2 isn't better supported by the lackluster ATI linux drivers out of the box. With Linux Nvidia seems to be the best choice for sure.
So with "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" in linux does that effect videos and the interface/menu system of XBMC or just videos?
I have a 4550, for the most part it is great. The only problem is that I can't get anything more than stereo out of my HDMI unless I downgrade my driver, but then I get crashes so I can't win either way.

Stereo isn't so bad though so I'm just hoping a future driver update will solve my problem.
SlaveUnit Wrote:So with "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" in linux does that effect videos and the interface/menu system of XBMC or just videos?

iirc its video only.
I see that ATI Catalyst™ 10.1 was released today. Once I get home from work I will try these to see of anything has changed. Or if someone beats me to it that would be great to know as well.

Update: Nope. Same issues with the new 10.1 driver.
SlaveUnit Wrote:So with "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" in linux does that effect videos and the interface/menu system of XBMC or just videos?

Is there any option to enable Studio Level Colorspace for user-interface as well?
Maybe a driver setting or an option in XBMC.

I realy need this option for viewing pictures on my TV with XBMC in correct colorspace.
ATI needs to step up their game when it comes to Linux, anyway, like others have said, just go get an Nvidia card, they are cheap on sites like Newegg.
Pages: 1 2