Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC UPnP client doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello All,

I have installed Xbmc on a Karmic desktop, and I'm not able to add shares provided by an UPnP Jaunty box.

Karmic can see the Jaunty server, though, with UPnP Inspector.

All the network options are checked in XBMC, although there is nothing like "activate UPnP client" I read googling around.

What went wrong, then?

thanks for your time,
-Gian
upnp shares can't be added to the library as the urls are not stable and can change.

You should be able to view them in file mod though. For library mode use smb / nfs.
I'm not sure what you mean by "add to the library".

I would like to browse my UPnP server from XBMC and stream my videos from there.
Can you confirm exactly what you are trying to do and what you have done.

Have you added the upnp source to xbmc?
XBMC is installed on Karmic, Mediatomb on a Jaunty host.

All my home network can see and stream from Jaunty, even Karmic UPnP Inspector can see Jaunty.

I go into XBMC to browse the Jaunty server but there is nothing to add in the UPnP list.
help, please!
I have the same problem on openSuSE 11.2.
XBMC does not see Tversity on Windows Vista.
UPnP-Inspector and GUPnP AV control point can find it though.
XBMC on win7 running on the same computer can also find TVersity.
regards,
Carlos
Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem. XBMC does not find my UPnP MediaServer (Mediatomb), whereas other ControlPoints at the same machine or network do (Cidero, gUPnP AV and gUPnP universal CP). I found a workaround by restarting the server: If I (re)start the MediaServer _after_ XBMC, it is displayed immediately and I can browse or retrieve content. However, this only works as long as XBMC is not restarted.

Additional info: the UPnP source was added as "upnp://";
XBMC: 9.11

Greetings, Christian
If your XBMC runs on 64-bit system, then it is a known issue. There is a bug ticket for it...
Just for the records. I found the ticket you have mentioned and a suggested patch. However, it did not solve the issue.

Greetings, Christian
Same problem on Karmic - XBMC won't browse UPNP servers, all of which work with PS3 and XBMC on Windows machines.

Work round that consistently works:

Install GUPnP AV Control Point
Run GUPnP and select UPnP server
Run XBMC and servers show up

Not ideal but works here.

It kind of suggests that the problem is not too difficult to fix...for the clever people...I wouldn't have a clue.

Hope this helps someone.

Mike
I was having the same problems running Xbmc Live 9.11 on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 64bit.

UPnP appears to be fixed in the latest svn. I am now able to use XBMC with PlayOn with no issues.

$svn info
Path: .
URL: https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/trunk
Repository Root: https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc
Repository UUID: 568bbfeb-2a22-0410-94d2-cc84cf5bfa90
Revision: 29285
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: jezz_x
Last Changed Rev: 29285
Last Changed Date: 2010-04-14 18:06:36 -0700 (Wed, 14 Apr 2010)
I am suffering exactly the problem described in this thread yet it is Nov. 2010, 5 months after the supposed fix. I am running xmbc built 2010.8.1 svn 26018. I cannot find the system info panel described in blog on reporting bugs given earlier in this thread to give any better version information.

I have pasted a debug log at http://pastebin.com/GSgWRwDN

The uPnP server is seen by uPnP Inspector and, in that tool, I can navigate through the media files. It is a DLNA server. However when I go a Add Source in XBMC and click on the uPnP icon, XMBC shows me an empty directory. However it is able to see the exact same NAS disk when viewed as a Windows server.

I cannot find any Enable uPnP Client control in this version of XBMC.

Looking forward to resolving this.
You're running a version that's 11 months old.
jmarshall Wrote:You're running a version that's 11 months old.

That is very strange. I installed XBMC last week following the instructions on this page:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

and, as I noted in my message, the build date is August 1st, 2010. I installed using the ppa package.

I looked in the SYNAPTIC Package Manager. It says I have version 1:9.11-lucid3 and it is the latest version. I also see from the front page that the current stable release is Camelot. Either the installation instructions need updating or the packages pointed to are old.

For the record, I am running Ubuntu 10.04LTS which is referred to as lucid-lynx. Some connection to lucid3 perhaps?

I will try to figure out how to install a more recent version.

I just followed the instructions on
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins..._for_Linux

When I got to the sudo apt-get install xbmc step it said xbmc is already the newest version. Are you sure it is 11 months old?
Pages: 1 2