Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Moved from Xbox to Live on Revo 3610 - Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using xbmc on the Xbox for the last 6 years and finally upgrade to Live on the Revo 3610 last week, but it has several problems that make me want to go back to using the old machine.

I know that most of these problems have been covered in other threads but I cannot find a solution for many of them so it may be helpful for Revo 3610 owners running Live to use this thread to cover everything.

Just to be clear - everything (HD playback, the remote) works, but doesnt work as well as i expect it to.

Background:
- I have installed 9.11 repack to a usb drive and am booting from that.
- I bought a usb adapter from ebay to make use of the original xbox Dvd remote and set it up with one of the many lircd confs floating around here.
- I am using HDMI to send audio/video to my TV and the SPDIF to send audio to my amp. I have dual output working with the asoundrc conf from here: http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/wp-content/uploa...oundrc.txt
- My media is stored on a synology NAS and there is a wired connection into the Revo

Problems:

1. The remote response is sluggish. If for example I hold the 'down' button on the main menu, it will scroll down quickly and then stop. On other occassions, it will scroll down, stop, then jump again to the next choice on the menu. It does not behave like it did on the Xbox. I have tried a few other lircd conf files but there is not much difference. Has anyone else experienced this with the Xbox DVD remote?

2. When skipping through files with the < and > buttons (e.g. a 350mb avi), it is very slow and I frequently get a 'buffering' message. It is not instant like on the old Xbox.

3. Digital audio. I have managed to get the SPDIF and HDMI outputting simultaneously, however (as others have experienced) there is a 2s delay in sending the signal to the TV/amp. I cannot find a solution for this - has anyone else found one?

4. Accessing the nas. There is a significant delay when pressing 'play' on an mp3 file when a file is accessed over the network. I have not noticed anything like this with video files. I suspect it is to do with the digital audio output. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am not sure whether any of these issues (particularly no2) might be solved by installing Live to the hard drive - any ideas?
I'm no expert here (this is only my second post) but we seem to have some similarities in our setup, so I'll provide as much help as I can.

I have used XBMC on my old Xbox for many years and have recently replaced it with a Revo 3610, running the latest incarnation of Camelot (v9.11).

I too have setup the old Xbox DVD remote to work with the Revo using a USB adapter I found on eBay and I also find that the response from the remote is a little on the sluggish side. To be honest, I haven't tried to find if there's a 'fix' for it but it seems to be the normal 'default' behaviour.

Skipping through video using the '<' & '>' keys on the remote is fine for me (although HD files are an issue) and I'm reading the files from my PC over an 802.11g WiFi connection.

I haven't configured audio through the HDMI connection; I have it configured to go through the SPDIF output only and it doesn't give me any problems.

MP3s, on the whole, seem to play fine although I have noticed that when pressing play on a file, it seems to skip the first 0.5s of the track...I've kind of assumed that this is as it loads the file into cache over the LAN. Once started, when the next track is automatically played it's fine; it's only when I play a new track that it seems to be an issue. Again, I've not attempted to find a 'fix' for this as it's not a deal breaker.

The only difference in my setup is that I've installed LIVE to the Revo's HD (and it's not the repack version). Hope that's helped a bit!
Hi,guessing here but...

your point 2,3,4 sound like network speeds to me, have you tried to copy some avi's an mp3s locally?

The synology boxes can be slow to authenticate... well, my 207+ is Big Grin
GeorgeStark Wrote:I too have setup the old Xbox DVD remote to work with the Revo using a USB adapter I found on eBay and I also find that the response from the remote is a little on the sluggish side. To be honest, I haven't tried to find if there's a 'fix' for it but it seems to be the normal 'default' behaviour.

MP3s, on the whole, seem to play fine although I have noticed that when pressing play on a file, it seems to skip the first 0.5s of the track...I've kind of assumed that this is as it loads the file into cache over the LAN. Once started, when the next track is automatically played it's fine; it's only when I play a new track that it seems to be an issue. Again, I've not attempted to find a 'fix' for this as it's not a deal breaker.

I would have thought this too, but the response time is fine with the revo's wireless keyboard. I wonder if the normal MCE remote has the same sluggish response problem?

About the MP3s, the first 0.5s missing sounds like the problem I am having with the audio delay through hdmi/spdif - I would bet that if you switched to analog output you wouldn't have that delay either..

Zakkieboy Wrote:Hi,guessing here but...

your point 2,3,4 sound like network speeds to me, have you tried to copy some avi's an mp3s locally?

The synology boxes can be slow to authenticate... well, my 207+ is Big Grin

I have tried it from a windows box as well as locally on the hard disk but i have the same problem. So it does not seem like an issue with the nas.
If you happen to have grabbed a different version other than 9.11, then perhaps the buffering messages are due to "recent" changes in SVN. I've been experimenting with a few SVN builds lately and have seen a LOT of buffering messages (connected to storage via CAT6 GigE). I didn't look into it further as I figured it was just a temporary issue in SVN. I have not had the problem in 9.11 Camelot. Sorry if that's not much help, but that's the best I can offer. Smile

Edit: What little help my post may have been has just been proven to be completely wrong. My own buffering issues were caused by a RAID group being rebuilt in my file server.... so... sorry, back to the drawing board on your problems!
zarekr Wrote:I would have thought this too, but the response time is fine with the revo's wireless keyboard. I wonder if the normal MCE remote has the same sluggish response problem?

I use a Logitech Harmony remote and have the same issues when I use that instead of the original Xbox DVD remote (although, the Harmony also has a lag with pretty much everything else I use it with...that's a whole other story. Rolleyes ). I'm guessing it's something to do with how LIVE (or the USB bridge) processes the remote signals.

You're probably right about the SPDIF/analog audio, but losing the first 0.5s (maybe not even that much) of only the 1st MP3 track I play really isn't a big deal for me...certainly not enough to switch away from SPDIF audio.

Solving this is, like most troubleshooting (I do tech support for a living), going to be by process of elimination. I know many other people have installed the LIVE repack and are using it without any issues but if I were you, I'd do a fresh install of the standard LIVE 9.11 and start from there.
Update on my situation:

1. I switched to an MCE remote. It is better than the Xbox DVD remote but still sluggish, e.g. if I hold 'down' on the keyboard on the main menu, it will scroll through the choices forever at the same high speed. If i do the same with the MCE remote, it is jerky and stops after a little while. The remote works fine in on XBMC for Windows. Having read a few other posts it seems that this is a problem with lirc. Does that sound right?

2. I switched from SMB to NFS access on my nas and this has completely solved the problem with MP3 files starting with a delay. However, the issue with skipping back/fwd through avi files is still present.

3. Can't find a solution for the digital audio output.