Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: which tv backend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
which backend/frontend would you actually prefer?
tvheadend or PVR or myth?

what is the difference between them?
are all of them able to decode pay-per-view with a ci-cam?
what about EPG?
and HD-TV?

there seems to be a race bewtween tvheadend and pvr.
which way does the xbmc-team go?
Mythtv is much more mature and feature complete.. in the past when Ive used it I found it great when setup but ran into many problems in the process and at the time xbmc integration felt clunky (slow channel changes etc) Im not sure how much this has improved in recent releases..

Tvheadend is quite new and development is occuring very fast. It is much much simpler to setup and is much more lightweight than mythtv. Channel changes from within xbmc occur very fast.

Tvheadend has recently had a pvr client addon added to the pvrtesting2 branch (xbmc trac) while it is very young and buggy, mythtv does not currently have such an addon available and therefore cannot be used with the pvr branch.

both can be used without the pvr branch by adding myth:// or htsp:// sources (read the online manual/wiki)

both can be used with encrypted channels but I have not done so.

both programs have very useful web interfaces with epg. I have to say i much prefer mythweb over the tvheadend solution but it is early days.

both can handle hd channels easily depending on hardware.

Im not part of the xbmc-team but from my knowledge, elupus (who implemented the myth:// protocol in xbmc) has switched to tvheadend.

If you are after simplicity go for tvheadend.. it is showing much potential and is very stable.
thank you very much.

i'll spend my testing-time with tvheadend.
Don't forget VDR with the Streamdev plugin.

VDR is the most mature of the three PVR backends. I have not used MythTV for quite some time and have never used Tvheadend, so it is difficult for me to compare accurately.

VDR natively supported DVB-t/s/s2/c ever since it started with the ability to record more than one TV channel from a single DVB multiplex at once (multirec I think it is referred to as). MythTV took a long time to support DVB with multirec and hence adoption by DVB users was slow. All 3 PVRs now support DVB with multirec I believe.

MythTV has many more features and a much larger community than the others, but then VDR and Tvheadend are smaller and it can be debated, more stable.

VDR support in the PVR-testing2 branch is very usable and TVheadend support is developing rapidly. Is MythTV based livetv supported in XBMC? I don't see it as an option when setting up livetv in the PVR-Testing2 branch.

VDR does support cam although I have never used one in my VDR setup. You will need to ask on the VDR forum if the DVB stream is decrypted before it is sent to XBMC via the Streamdev plugin.

Look here for a pic of the EPG available from VDR:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45314

I am in danger here of starting a flame war centered on which PVR is best. Each PVR has it's own dedicated community who swear their PVR is the best.
yes, no flamewars.

but since there are 3 (maybe 4 or 5) ways to get liveTV working, there must be found a common way for integration into xbmc.
The best way would be to have the same backend for managing DVB tuners en IPTV channels Smile
Stu-e is correct.. vdr is the most compatible with the pvr branch.

Ive installed it before but found it quite confusing and couldnt find much english documentation. Maybe Ill give it another go in the future.

One thing I didnt mention.. mythtv is the only backend that Ive been able to get xmltv to work with. (In Australia and trying to use shepherd epg scraper).

I think youll find there isnt a clear fav at the moment.. each has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on setup and region. I would love to see this change in the future as it seems there is alot of duplication of effort between mythtv, tvheadend, vdr, mediaportal. I see xbmc's unified pvr framework as targeting the frontend side of this but we will have to see what happens on the backend side of things.
sorry - was for windows.... Sad
fl0w Wrote:The best way would be to have the same backend for managing DVB tuners en IPTV channels Smile

Mythbackend will do that.

This is a very interesting thread, with some useful information. I've been a MythTV user for the last two years, and whilst it's good, it's inherent instability has always kept the WAF borderline (I've had several conversations which start with her bawling up stairs, "That box has got to go!")Sad

I installed XBMC a couple of weeks ago, and discovered Transparency! last week. I can honestly say I'm gobsmacked by the quality and the look'n'feel™ of this software. That this is available from the OSS community speaks volumes. ...and what an active community!

I'm now looking for a way to ditch Myth altogether, and DVR + PVR branch looks to be the way to go.

Will watch this space.
SiHa Wrote:Mythbackend will do that.

This is a very interesting thread, with some useful information. I've been a MythTV user for the last two years, and whilst it's good, it's inherent instability has always kept the WAF borderline (I've had several conversations which start with her bawling up stairs, "That box has got to go!")Sad

I installed XBMC a couple of weeks ago, and discovered Transparency! last week. I can honestly say I'm gobsmacked buy the quality and the look'n'feelâ„¢ of this software. That this is available from the OSS community speaks volumes. ...and what an active community!

I'm now looking for a way to ditch Myth altogether, and DVR + PVR branch looks to be the way to go.

Will watch this space.
Tvheadend appears to be more convenient than MythTV, but I was unable to make it work. The best solution would be ton configure the tuners/channels directly in XBMC or through a WebUI Smile
fl0w Wrote:Tvheadend appears to be more convenient than MythTV, but I was unable to make it work. The best solution would be ton configure the tuners/channels directly in XBMC or through a WebUI Smile

Where did you get stuck with Tvheadend? Which tuner cards have you got?

And just to make sure its clear - Tvheadend is totally configured through the WebUI (Tuners/channels included)