Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: apple remote lagging with xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is my first post and I have to say I am quite impressed with the XBMC project which I have only recently discovered.

Today I decided to take it to the next level. I went out and purchased a Mac Mini (OSX 10.6) with the new Apple Remote. I installed XBMC and added my collection of Movies/TV Shows to the library from my external hard drive. After downloading all the artwork it looks amazing on my TV (50" plasma panasonic). My only complaint is the apple remote has serious lagging issues when using any button on any menu.

* The menu on XBMC is quick when using my wireless keyboard
* Front Row is quick to navigate when using the apple remote
* I've found dozens of posts on this forum and others detailing the same issue on XBMC and Plex with no results. although all the posts I came across were nearly a year old, so I wanted to see if there had been any progress lately.

The apple remote works, but most of the time I have to hit the button 2-3 times to go through, which gets extremely frustrating. it's like there is some kind of delay or data loss with each click of the button. but it's not the hardware as it works perfect in front row. any ideas?
Yes I'm experiencing the same issue. It feels like one needs to hit 2-3 times to go through. But I have this issue in Front Row too. I'm not sure if it's a Apple remote limitation or what.

Specifically when pressing fast the up or down keys (ie like double-click on mouse) it only registers 1 key press instead of 2.
What are the chances your using an older plasma or you are in the path of sunlight during these experiences? Both plasmas and natural sunlight emit a fair amount of Infrared spectrum. This is the main reason for the wave of RF remotes, Harmony, Direct TV, Universal Remotes ..ect. I know apple started selling an aluminum covered remote recently but the symptoms you describe line right up with cross cancelling. Especially since its happening with Front Row as well.

quotaholic
appletv remote has always behaved this way for me since I got it (6 or so months).

the remote (and xbmc UI in general) is far more responsive in linux, so I suspect its something with remote helper and/or xbmc's interface with it.
I'm using a harmony remote and it's a little better than the apple remote, in xbmc, it'll lag for a second, but it registers... if i press the buttons too fast, i'll see multiple actions happening...
I have been playing around with the remote for hours and only had trouble with XBMC, but not any other app so I know it's no the hardware.

Today I was trying out the different skins available on the Sourceforge SVN and I came across one that works well with the apple remote! The 'xbmcTV' skin responds quickly just like Front Row. Any idea why the default 'Confluence' skin has problems with delays from the remote, but this skin doesn't? Anything I can do to get the remote working well with the default skin?
itcdr Wrote:I have been playing around with the remote for hours and only had trouble with XBMC, but not any other app so I know it's no the hardware.

Today I was trying out the different skins available on the Sourceforge SVN and I came across one that works well with the apple remote! The 'xbmcTV' skin responds quickly just like Front Row. Any idea why the default 'Confluence' skin has problems with delays from the remote, but this skin doesn't? Anything I can do to get the remote working well with the default skin?

could be that xbmctv is a lot less resource hungry compared to confluence...
Alaska skin is pretty snappy too...
Raider Wrote:could be that xbmctv is a lot less resource hungry compared to confluence...
Alaska skin is pretty snappy too...

I got the new upgraded Mac Mini (2.53hz 64-bit, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD) and I only installed XBMC out of the box so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. Just in case anyway to make the IR Receiver a priority? When I use the keyboard it works perfect, so I'm guessing it has to be whatever program uses the IR data.

EDIT: I just tried the Alaska skin and you're right. It did respond quickly to the remote just like the xbmcTV. I tried a few other skins too (even ones more basic than xbmcTV) but so far only Alaska and xbmcTV respond quickly. I would like to use the 'Confluence' or 'MiniMedia' skins though as I like their library views. any ideas to get those working?
I notice this too when I updated from Camelot to a couple recent nightlies (after Alaska skin was released) - outside XBMC in the regular ATV menus everything is snappy (with white, aluminum, and learned Bell PVR remotes). Upon entering and navigating in XBMC.app the IR doesn't seem to respond to the first sometimes second button presses (the white LED doesn't blink).