Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MacMini issues after installing CrystalHD? (Fan Noise / No sleep)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After installing the Crystal HD a couple of weeks ago I've been having some issues on my Mac Mini:

1) High fan noise. It seems the fans will now no longer go below 3100RPM. I did check to see if I connected the fan controller correctly and even tried reconnecting it but that seems to be fitted corretly.

2) Mini won't sleep anymore.

Is it possible these issues are caused by the drivers? And if so, is anybody working on updating the drivers? There hasn't been an update to them for nearly a month...

Anybody know how I can fix these issues? Sad
DaSal Wrote:After installing the Crystal HD a couple of weeks ago I've been having some issues on my Mac Mini:

1) High fan noise. It seems the fans will now no longer go below 3100RPM. I did check to see if I connected the fan controller correctly and even tried reconnecting it but that seems to be fitted corretly.

2) Mini won't sleep anymore.

Is it possible these issues are caused by the drivers? And if so, is anybody working on updating the drivers? There hasn't been an update to them for nearly a month...

Anybody know how I can fix these issues? Sad

1) My MacMini almost never runs it's fan anymore. Not sure why yours does.

2) By current design, the driver does not permit sleep. It's on the list but I only have two hands. Updates will occur in time. If you really need sleep, unload the driver.
Davilla, since that keeps getting mentioned maybe you should add it to your CrystalHD status post or have a sticky in the Apple Help forum for known issues to cut down on the number of times you have to answer the same questions Smile.... Id do it but I think the CrystalHD status thread is locked.
after installing Crystal HD, my fan on AppleTV sometimes seems to make the device take off to the moon )))

and, unfortunately, atv is not that quiet any more... maybe i did smth wrong, i'll check on weekend...
You can install fan control, I used to use it to keep my mini a bit cooler.
jayhawk785 Wrote:You can install fan control, I used to use it to keep my mini a bit cooler.

I did do that... It won't let me set it to any lower than 3000 RPM...Oo
It may be a dumb question, but are you sure you plugged the black cable on the front of the machine back in?

It's called the "Hard Drive Sensor Cable", but I'm pretty sure your fan will run like a banshee if it's not plugged in.
jtclark Wrote:It may be a dumb question, but are you sure you plugged the black cable on the front of the machine back in?

It's called the "Hard Drive Sensor Cable", but I'm pretty sure your fan will run like a banshee if it's not plugged in.

I did. I even opened the Mini up again and reconnected it to be sure. It seems to be fitted properly. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the wire is broken? I mean, it sits pretty tight so some force had to be applied to get it loose, maybe the wire broke and that's why it's not working? Guess there's no way to test that theory is there? Huh
It's so tight in there I'm not sure how you could check the cable without a tremendous amount of tedious work along with the chance you could accidentally break something else.
grey Wrote:after installing Crystal HD, my fan on AppleTV sometimes seems to make the device take off to the moon )))

and, unfortunately, atv is not that quiet any more... maybe i did smth wrong, i'll check on weekend...

Appletv doesnt have a fan does it? I thaught it was just sinked. Mine is certainly deathly quiet albeit from a slight wirr from the hard drive.
Shoesy Wrote:Appletv doesnt have a fan does it? I thaught it was just sinked. Mine is certainly deathly quiet albeit from a slight wirr from the hard drive.

Yes you are right, no fan in the appple tv (only passive cooling). Think the original poster meant mac mini.
Olethros Wrote:Yes you are right, no fan in the appple tv (only passive cooling). Think the original poster meant mac mini.

There's a fan inside the AppleTV, two speeds, on/off. Mine never runs at all when playing video using the crystalhd.