Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Alarm / Sleep Timer exists (but no UI?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While troubleshooting an unrelated problem, I noticed that XBMC has a built-in function for "Alarm Clock" of "Sleep Timer" purposes. The built-in function is: AlarmClock(name,command,time[,silent])

However, AFAIK, there is no UI for this functionality.

Does anyone know of anything like this? Since a large part of the functionality is already written/native to XBMC, and it has been requested many times, I had sort of assumed there would be something available -- but about 30 minutes on Google turned up nothing.

Alternatively, it might be better to write something that creates a cron script based on the user's input, which would allow recurring alarms.

Here is the proposed UI (attempting to keep it simple):
Code:
* Alarm 1 (would have 1,2,3 alarms that expand/contract to show options)
   Alongside the Alarm would be an icon for enabled or disabled (to quickly pause alarms)
     - Day Start
     - Day End
     - Time On
     - Time Off
     - Play: (manual entry of playlist name)
* Quick Alarm: Date/Time/Active
So, for example, the user would have:
Mon - Fri ... 7:30 - 8:30
Sat - Sun ... 9:30 - 10:30

This could be a simple cron job that ran a wget to send the play-command through the api.

V2 might offer a few other features: browse for playlist, or, a test feature (to make sure playlist is found) ... possibly a web-interface (would be nice to set this from a iTouch, or some other Internet tablet/laptop).

What do you guys think -- is there anyone interested in doing something like this?

I don't know anything about scripting for XBMC, but I'd be happy to donate to the person who builds it?

Or ... have I missed something in all of my searching, and this already exists?
RKMFlorida Wrote:While troubleshooting an unrelated problem, I noticed that XBMC has a built-in function for "Alarm Clock" of "Sleep Timer" purposes. The built-in function is: AlarmClock(name,command,time[,silent])

However, AFAIK, there is no UI for this functionality.

Does anyone know of anything like this? Since a large part of the functionality is already written/native to XBMC, and it has been requested many times, I had sort of assumed there would be something available -- but about 30 minutes on Google turned up nothing.

Alternatively, it might be better to write something that creates a cron script based on the user's input, which would allow recurring alarms.

Here is the proposed UI (attempting to keep it simple):
Code:
* Alarm 1 (would have 1,2,3 alarms that expand/contract to show options)
   Alongside the Alarm would be an icon for enabled or disabled (to quickly pause alarms)
     - Day Start
     - Day End
     - Time On
     - Time Off
     - Play: (manual entry of playlist name)
* Quick Alarm: Date/Time/Active
So, for example, the user would have:
Mon - Fri ... 7:30 - 8:30
Sat - Sun ... 9:30 - 10:30

This could be a simple cron job that ran a wget to send the play-command through the api.

V2 might offer a few other features: browse for playlist, or, a test feature (to make sure playlist is found) ... possibly a web-interface (would be nice to set this from a iTouch, or some other Internet tablet/laptop).

What do you guys think -- is there anyone interested in doing something like this?

I don't know anything about scripting for XBMC, but I'd be happy to donate to the person who builds it?

Or ... have I missed something in all of my searching, and this already exists?

Hey mate. Did you find something more out? Im looking for the same kind of script.

Cheers
Jon
would it be possible to implement some kind of reminder?
something like a birthday reminder.

it seems like all the necessary tools are available...
well, my last french-lesson is about 16 years ago.

but it "looks" like it is exactly what i'm looking for.

i'll try.
thx.
Ha - yes, me too (although perhaps a little longer than 16 years!!!).

I haven't tried it, I just found it about 30 mins before I read your post - it may have an option for English language.
i've tried it out.
to test all features i made an google-calender account.

the script works.
but it works like an extra-programm. and it doesn't include a reminder.

so it is not exactly what i'm looking for.

to be exact: i don't even need an interface.
the xbox-message pop-up would do the job.

start xbmc .... after 20 seconds the pop-up should appear (and stay until someone hits "ok"). thats it.
it should show the birthdays 3-2-1 days before the actual brithday.

and i still think, that all tools are implemented in xbmc.
the builtin alarm-clock should be able to do this.
To thread poster, and anyone else who might be interested, Im working on a script like this and have finished the most basic parts. Its still pretty simple but does the job so far. If anyone is interested ill get the code up, and i would love for some feedback and maybe cleaning up/improving the code.

Edit: An alarm script for crontab and playing mp3s in XBMC that is. No reminders.