Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New User: XBMC Setup Preference?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, first post here.

I've been doing a lot of reading through posts, wiki, XMBC wiki, etc. and my brother is hyped up on this stuff. We actually had an XBMC setup (brother now using it as MAC) in our home but I have a few questions regarding setup preference.

1. Would you prefer a dedicated HTPC or would you rather have something like many posts have indicated like an Acer Revo or CasEdge with the content being streamed off another PC?

2. In my situation, I'm currently a pretty intense PC Gamer and can notice flickers of latency issues. With the streaming coming from my computer (if choosing a Revo/Edge setup), would it be likely for me to run into spikes when playing FPS games or anything while streaming a high quality 1080p file?

Edge w/ Nvidia ION: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119016
Revo 3610: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883103235

My brother recommended a stream setup like above in #2, but I'm not too sure how this would affect my typical computer usage. Any input from current users in my situation or wisdom from others is greatly appreciated!!

3. Would the Edge's barebone (above link) hardware suffice for my situation or would I likely need another PC with better hardware, i.e. Revo 3610? Or, if this isn't the best route to go for whichever reason, what do you recommend?

4. Lastly, (sorry for the wall of text) if I watch live TV and use sabnzbd+ for other media, what is the best/recommended Windows route to go? MythTV (or something like it) w/ XMBC? Frontend/backend stuff gets a bit confusing but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Again, any words of wisdom, help, recommendations, etc. are appreciated for a noob like me. Thank you for your time!!
neither, tbh the Asrock ION HT way better yes it is bigger but it comes with advantages which none of those actually have.