Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

New poster to the forum, be gentle... Smile

I've tried to do some reasonably thorough searching on fixing this problem but to no avail. My issue relates to (failing to) opening 7z files in the RCB add-on. I have attempted to follow the instructions provided here:

http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbr...tail?id=97

...pertaining to removing RCB in its entirety and reinstalling it from the latest zip file but it didn't work. Recently I had to format my computer giving me a chance to install the latest version of RCB from a fresh install, but still no luck. Can anyone help me work out how to fix this?

If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (I notice there's no win64 folder in amongst the packages folder to the add-on - is that an issue?) and I don't have 7z installed on my system (I wasn't sure if that was essential and haven't yet had a chance to see if it makes a difference). I'm also running XBMC Eden 11 with the Aeon MQ3 skin. This is my XBMC.log reading straight after it has failed.

Quote:20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Begin launchEmu
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: launching game with id: 111
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Begin launcher.launchEmu
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: files for current game: [(u'D:\\Roms\\no-intro sets\\fgc-snes\\roms\\Biker Mice from Mars.7z',)]
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: launcher.buildCmd
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: emuCommandLine: D:\Emulators\ZSNES\zsnesw.exe
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: preCmdLine:
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: postCmdLine:
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Getting Multiple Disc Parameter
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: emuParams: "%ROM%"
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: rom: D:\Roms\no-intro sets\fgc-snes\roms\Biker Mice from Mars.7z
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Trying to delete temporary rom files
20:23:44 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Treating file as a compressed archive
20:23:47 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: You have tried to launch a .7z file but you are missing required libraries to extract the file. You can download the latest RCB version from RCBs project page. It contains all required libraries.
20:23:47 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
20:23:47 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error handling compressed file
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: Exception in python script callback execution
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 393, in onClick
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: self.launchEmu()
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 785, in launchEmu
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: launcher.launchEmu(self.gdb, self, gameId, self.config, self.Settings)
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\launcher.py", line 38, in launchEmu
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: cmd, precmd, postcmd = buildCmd(filenameRows, romCollection, gameRow, escapeCmd)
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: ValueError
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: :
20:23:47 T:3632 ERROR: need more than 0 values to unpack
20:23:47 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: onAction: 7
20:23:47 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: onAction: 0
20:23:47 T:3632 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: actionId == 0. Input ignored

Thanks in advance for any help.
(2012-07-04, 23:00)malte Wrote: [ -> ]
Maleficium Wrote:Some GIF images crashes XBMC (Windows) when navigating in RCB menu (maybe a XBMC problem)
Never heard of that. But it really sounds like it was more an XBMC issue. Can you please send me one of these files?

Hey malte,

Sent you a PM with a link to test.

Another thing I noticed was that RCB "forgets" the Consoles filter after import or rescrape some game, thats a bit annoying when we are using large databases and trying to rescrape a few games.
bluesky2006 Wrote:Recently I had to format my computer giving me a chance to install the latest version of RCB from a fresh install, but still no luck.
Noooo, you did not do that. Did you?

RCB is just some files on your HD laying around at three places (XBMC\addons, XBMC\userdata\addon_data, XBMC\addons\packages). Together with all other XBMC stuff in your user folder. No magic, no installer, no registry hacks, nothing. No need to format anything to get rid from it.

bluesky2006 Wrote:If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (I notice there's no win64 folder in amongst the packages folder to the add-on - is that an issue?) and I don't have 7z installed on my system (I wasn't sure if that was essential and haven't yet had a chance to see if it makes a difference). I'm also running XBMC Eden 11 with the Aeon MQ3 skin. This is my XBMC.log reading straight after it has failed.
You could try to download the package pylzma-0.4.4-py2.6-win32.egg from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pylzma/. Extract these files to RCBs platform_libraries folder. There are no 64 bit binaries for this package. I guess it should work with these files, too.

' Wrote:Sent you a PM with a link to test.

Another thing I noticed was that RCB "forgets" the Consoles filter after import or rescrape some game, thats a bit annoying when we are using large databases and trying to rescrape a few games.
Thanks for the files. I will check the filter issue.
(2012-07-06, 07:00)malte Wrote: [ -> ]
bluesky2006 Wrote:Recently I had to format my computer giving me a chance to install the latest version of RCB from a fresh install, but still no luck.
Noooo, you did not do that. Did you?

RCB is just some files on your HD laying around at three places (XBMC\addons, XBMC\userdata\addon_data, XBMC\addons\packages). Together with all other XBMC stuff in your user folder. No magic, no installer, no registry hacks, nothing. No need to format anything to get rid from it.

Ah no, I formatted it for another reason don't worry!

Quote:
bluesky2006 Wrote:If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (I notice there's no win64 folder in amongst the packages folder to the add-on - is that an issue?) and I don't have 7z installed on my system (I wasn't sure if that was essential and haven't yet had a chance to see if it makes a difference). I'm also running XBMC Eden 11 with the Aeon MQ3 skin. This is my XBMC.log reading straight after it has failed.
You could try to download the package pylzma-0.4.4-py2.6-win32.egg from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pylzma/. Extract these files to RCBs platform_libraries folder. There are no 64 bit binaries for this package. I guess it should work with these files, too.

Hmm ok, will try this out. Thing is I just added a load of SNES roms from an old rom collection that aren't 7z compressed and they all work fine, so I'm a bit reluctant to muck about with it now! But would certainly rather use the 7z files.

Thanks! Will let you know the result...
(2012-07-06, 07:00)malte Wrote: [ -> ]You could try to download the package pylzma-0.4.4-py2.6-win32.egg from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pylzma/. Extract these files to RCBs platform_libraries folder. There are no 64 bit binaries for this package. I guess it should work with these files, too.

I just thought - is it important that I list the *.smc file extension as well as the *.7z file extension when setting up the rom collection?
Seeing as MAWS is down for good according to this thread, would it be possible to update the MAME scraper to point to Progetto Emma?
bluesky2006 Wrote:I just thought - is it important that I list the *.smc file extension as well as the *.7z file extension when setting up the rom collection?
Yes, it is. Otherwise RCB won't import one of them.

MovieBird Wrote:Seeing as MAWS is down for good according to this thread, would it be possible to update the MAME scraper to point to Progetto Emma?
Thanks for the hint. I will check it. There is also http://www.arcadehits.net/ that seems to have a similar feature set. I have to check if scraping is technically possible and if it is allowed/tolerated to scrape from these sites. Not easy as italian and french are not my first languages.
(2012-07-04, 23:00)malte Wrote: [ -> ]
altoiddealer Wrote:So Im still having trouble with RCB on Windows ( but for all I know, XBMC could be the culprit). 90% of the time that I exit games after using RCB with the default settings, XBMC is left as a black unresponsive window that requires Taskamager to kill.
Thanks for all the logs. Unfortunately, I can't see any relevant errors inside. I will try again to reproduce this issue on my 64bit machine.

altoiddealer Wrote:i decided to try launching in Solo mode and Popen, but when I exit the emu, an errors pops up "CApplication::Create() Failed"
This may be fixed with this one. Unfortunately it does not work for all of us. If it still does not you could try with these scripts instead.

altoiddealer Wrote:Maybe solo mode will get around my issue with reloading XBMC if I can fix that error from popping
Yes, solo mode should fix these issues.

Just wanted to report that I must be one of the lucky ones, because that Solo Mode fix worked! Everything is running smoothly thus far.

Thank you! Glad I can use RCB again Big Grin
hey there,
I gave the dolphin emu a try on my linux machine with xbmc-standalone. Unfortunately I can't get it to work properly. The game is launched properly, but XBMC keeps the focus so all my input goes to XBMC and I can't control the emulator itself in any way. Also, I still see the default X mouse corsor on top of the emulator output.
However, if I start it manually via SSH while XBMC is running, everything works fine.
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 dolphin-emu -b -e "...rom..."
mupen64plus and snes9x work fine however, so I'm not sure who is the culprit here.
I also tried the new popen method from 1.0.5 btw. The only difference is that I don't see the X mouse cursor with popen, the focus issue remains.

Also, another highly annoying bug: I have a button mapped on my remote to go back to the homescreen with "XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)". When I use this button while I'm in RCB instead of using the back button, I can't get back into RCB. Nothing happens when I try to open RCB. With debugging enabled, I get the following when trying to start RCB:
Code:
16:36:51 T:139661020522432   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 24, sym: 000d, unicode: 000d, modifier: 0
16:36:51 T:139661020522432   DEBUG: OnKey: return (f00d) pressed, action is Select
16:36:51 T:139661020522432   DEBUG: ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating RunAddon($INFO[Skin.String(HomeProgramButton1)])
16:36:51 T:139661020522432   DEBUG: ExecuteXBMCAction : To RunAddon(script.games.rom.collection.browser)
16:36:51 T:139661020522432    INFO: initializing python engine.
16:36:51 T:139661020522432   DEBUG: new python thread created. id=27
16:36:51 T:139659552208640   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: 0
16:36:51 T:139659552208640   DEBUG: Python thread: start processing

sorry if anything of this has been brought up before, I didn't really feel like searching though the 250 pages...Confused
Mus_ Wrote:The game is launched properly, but XBMC keeps the focus so all my input goes to XBMC and I can't control the emulator itself in any way. Also, I still see the default X mouse corsor on top of the emulator output.
You could try to start dolphin with an extra script that does a lirc stop/lirc start before and after the launch command. Another option would be to start dolphin in solo mode.

Mus_ Wrote:Also, another highly annoying bug: I have a button mapped on my remote to go back to the homescreen with "XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)". When I use this button while I'm in RCB instead of using the back button, I can't get back into RCB. Nothing happens when I try to open RCB.
Yes, this issue was already reported. The home button does not close RCB it just switches to the home screen while RCB is still running. Only option would be to catch the event and close RCB instead of switching to the home screen.
(2012-07-09, 07:13)malte Wrote: [ -> ]
Mus_ Wrote:The game is launched properly, but XBMC keeps the focus so all my input goes to XBMC and I can't control the emulator itself in any way. Also, I still see the default X mouse corsor on top of the emulator output.
You could try to start dolphin with an extra script that does a lirc stop/lirc start before and after the launch command. Another option would be to start dolphin in solo mode.
I'm not using LIRC, I use a Logitech Harmony together with the receiver from a Hama MCE Remote which works out of the box because the receiver emulates a keyboard. For playing I use an Xbox 360 Wireless Pad with the built in xpad kernel module, also works out of the box. I can actually still control XBMC with the Xbox pad while Dolphin is running in the foreground.

I also tried this script to freeze XBMC while the emulator is running:
Code:
killall -STOP xbmc.bin
dolphin-emu ...
killall -CONT xbmc.bin
I originally used this for mupen64plus because some games would lag with xbmc still wasting CPU in the background. But this doesn't fix the focus problem with dolphin.

Solo Mode doesn't work at all, I only see some white text popping up with "starting game..." or something and that's it.

Could this have to do with the fact that I'm using xbmc-standalone and not with a window manager?

thanks for your help.
Mus_ Wrote:Solo Mode doesn't work at all, I only see some white text popping up with "starting game..." or something and that's it.

Could this have to do with the fact that I'm using xbmc-standalone and not with a window manager?
Yes, solo mode needs a window manager. At least, when XBMC is closed, you need something that chimes in as window manager. If this is the case, you could check this explanation for other common issues with solo mode.
With the new version I also get the "CApplication::Create() Failed" before that it didn't restart XBMC at all which is the way I prefer it because when using steam or batch files it starts XBMC right after launching them and I use remote Launcher to manually restart XBMC. Is there a way to stop solo mode from trying to restart XBMC (the best would be with POPEN because I don't like the cmd window popping up)?
I noticed that in windows when I use popen, that after quitting the game XBMC doesn't get focus back and stays minimised in the task bar. Is that normal behaviour and is it fixable? In the meantime I'm going to have to disable popen.

Also a feature request: is it possible to trigger an event using the HTTP API (or JSON) when starting a game? That would allow me to do some really cool stuff with EventGhost!
Darkcloud Wrote:With the new version I also get the "CApplication::Create() Failed"
This is weird. I was sure that this has nothing to do with the way RCB is launching games.

Darkcloud Wrote:Is there a way to stop solo mode from trying to restart XBMC (the best would be with POPEN because I don't like the cmd window popping up)?
Yes, just remove the last line from applaunch.bat that does the restarting part. Atm applaunch.bat will be overwritten every time you update RCB. But in one of the next versions I want to store all these scripts in addon_data folder, so they will remain after an update.

Tomkun Wrote:I noticed that in windows when I use popen, that after quitting the game XBMC doesn't get focus back and stays minimised in the task bar. Is that normal behaviour and is it fixable? In the meantime I'm going to have to disable popen.
I can't reproduce this here. Not with and not without Popen. Maybe you have to change the "Use fullscreen window" setting in XBMC?

Tomkun Wrote:Also a feature request: is it possible to trigger an event using the HTTP API (or JSON) when starting a game? That would allow me to do some really cool stuff with EventGhost!
This should already be possible. You could use wget to fire the commands to the json api. On windows you have to install wget.exe yourself, on Linux it should be already available. These are examples of the commands when you want to quit XBMC per json:

Code:
Linux
wget -q -O/dev/null --header='Content-Type: application/json' --post-data='{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Application.Quit", "id":"1"}' http://localhost/jsonrpc  

Windows (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/files/wget/)
"%PROGRAMFILES%\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe" -q --header="Content-Type: application/json" --post-data="{\"jsonrpc\":\"2.0\", \"method\": \"Application.Quit\", \"id\":\"1\"}" http://localhost/jsonrpc
I tested these commands from a batch file. But I guess you could also use them as pre launch command.