Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You need to press the button that will give you a content menu. On a keyboard "c"
kruuth Wrote:Hey Malte, I just tried adding a second emu, but I can't seem to do it in .81. Is there some trick to it?

Yeah, Press C and choose "add another rom collection"
I should add that in order to get RCB working on Ubuntu 10.10, I had to chmod +x the applaunch.sh script because it was tossing up a permission denied message.

So I've loaded my large rom folder, there's over 9,000 roms. It took about 14 hours to scrape artwork and wow does it bog browsing down a bit. I'm going to put more ram in the box because my HTPC is only running with 1gb and it gets eaten up pretty frequently so I'll drop 4gb in and see if that helps move things along. I've been meaning to do it anyways but it just kind slipped off my list.

I REALLY need to do a rom check because many of the games are refusing to load...

So with my 14 hour or so scrape I would like to suggest that the rom loading process be multithreaded to hit several databases at once to speed things along.

Still enjoying the addon though and can't wait ot see the direction it takes.
toddwv Wrote:So I've loaded my large rom folder, there's over 9,000 roms. It took about 14 hours to scrape artwork and wow does it bog browsing down a bit. I'm going to put more ram in the box because my HTPC is only running with 1gb and it gets eaten up pretty frequently so I'll drop 4gb in and see if that helps move things along. I've been meaning to do it anyways but it just kind slipped off my list.
Displaying large rom sets is a lot of work for slow machines with little ram. Maybe one of these hints can help until your new ram arrives.

Quote:So with my 14 hour or so scrape I would like to suggest that the rom loading process be multithreaded to hit several databases at once to speed things along.
Maybe some day. We already discussed options to do this but it is a lot of work to get it done.

Atm we are trying to get the scraping process done in the background, so that you can watch movies while it is scraping. But this is also a challengeSmile
Hello,

Love your plugin, and it appears to work just fine on Mac OSX (10.6.6) for some emulators and all the scraping of metadata works like a charm.

With many emulators on mac, however, it is impossible to turn off the first dialog box that opens with the emulator (asking which rom to open). However, by simply launching a rom file from finder (.smc, .nes, etc) the correct emulator will open the rom and run in full screen by default.

The problem is that if I set up Rom Collection browser to point at my emulators (nestopia, bsnses, etc) it will open a new instance of that emulator (and the accompanying dialog box) without actually executing the selected rom.

It seems logical that I could point Rom Collection Browser at finder or some other application launcher like quicksilver or aLaunch as my theoretical 'emulator' with the correct ROM directory in hopes of RCB simply opening the selected file (which would automatically open the correct emulator sans dialog box). However I have not been successful at getting this to work.

Can anybody help find a way to make this process actually work? There does not seem to be a problem with the plugin whatsoever, just a matter of making it function with the proper paramaters. Maybe I am missing something?

Can somebody please offer some advice?

THANK YOU!
malte Wrote:@mhd:
I still would guess that there is something blocked in your environment, maybe security settings in your router or the connection settings on your htpc.

Some ideas to come closer (just to hunt down the problem):
- Did you try to run the script on another pc in your network?
- Can you launch this url in a browser on your htpc: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/1942 ? Is there a window popping up when you try this? Maybe try it with different browsers if you have more than one on your system.

For some reason i had HTTP proxy checked in XBMC. How embarrising!

Now one bit is working i can't get the games to load i get the following error:-

C:\Windows\system32>call "C:\Games\mame\mame.exe" "S:\games\Testdata 0.7.x - onl
ine scraping\Roms\Mame\invaders.zip"
invaders.h NOT FOUND
invaders.g NOT FOUND
invaders.f NOT FOUND
invaders.e NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

However, these files do exist. Can anyone help please.

Many thanks in advance
dozy Wrote:Love your plugin, and it appears to work just fine on Mac OSX (10.6.6) for some emulators and all the scraping of metadata works like a charm.
Good to hear that it works at all. There have been some Mac users in the past weeks that had problems with launching games from XBMC in general.

dozy Wrote:With many emulators on mac, however, it is impossible to turn off the first dialog box that opens with the emulator (asking which rom to open). However, by simply launching a rom file from finder (.smc, .nes, etc) the correct emulator will open the rom and run in full screen by default.

The problem is that if I set up Rom Collection browser to point at my emulators (nestopia, bsnses, etc) it will open a new instance of that emulator (and the accompanying dialog box) without actually executing the selected rom.
Is this problem related to certain roms or certain emulators? If it happens for certain roms then it also may be a problem with whitespaces and quotes in the rom name.

Anyway, you can check the command line that RCB is trying to use in xbmc.log. Maybe you can try to launch this command from a shell and modify it until it works like expected. Then try to modify your emuCmd and params to the new command.

You could also try to run the emulators in solo mode. Then you could add a separate launcher to the command in applaunch.sh.

mhd143 Wrote:Now one bit is working i can't get the games to load i get the following error:-

C:\Windows\system32>call "C:\Games\mame\mame.exe" "S:\games\Testdata 0.7.x - onl
invaders.h NOT FOUND
invaders.g NOT FOUND
invaders.f NOT FOUND
invaders.e NOT FOUND

Seems to be a problem with your MAME config. Here is a post that explains how to set it up for MAME: link. Also check the link to Angelscrys wiki at the end of the post.
mhd143 Wrote:For some reason i had HTTP proxy checked in XBMC. How embarrising!

Now one bit is working i can't get the games to load i get the following error:-

invaders.h NOT FOUND
invaders.g NOT FOUND
invaders.f NOT FOUND
invaders.e NOT FOUND

Many thanks in advance

Great! glad to read you got working. As Malte said, it's better to follow those steps to get mame working
schorsches Wrote:Hey there, hope someone can help me. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with Dharma and RCB 0.8
Starting emulators is great and works well but when it comes to switch back to xbmc after leaving a game xbmc freezes or is crashing.
I'm not sure if this is an RCB related problem, but dont know where to start searching.

rcb-config: http://pastebin.com/Vb8Eke1S

I've tried using RCB with "rcb_useEmulatorSolo" true || false both not working as expected.

1)
Code:
rcb_useEmulatorSolo = false;
In "most cases" XBMC does not switch back to fullscreen and remains as a black empty window
and i have to kill the xbmc task and restart it manually.

xbmc-log: http://pastebin.com/SrHtnr2Z

2)
Code:
rcb_useEmulatorSolo = true;
When exiting the emulator and the Batch file is starting xbmc again
i get an Windows error dialog saying "CApplication::Create() check log file and that it is writeable"
I also already set up a litte sleep time between closing emulator and (re)starting xbmc in the batch file as recommended. But even after a 10s sleep i get the error mentioned above.

xbmc-log: http://pastebin.com/FH2e1xga

Would be great to get this thing working Smile

schorsches

First of all just wanted to say thanks for such a great add-on! This was exactly what I was looking for with my roms. Only problem is that I'm having the exact problem as schoresches, I read on how he fixed the issuse, but I'm not sure what files he was editing to fix the autobatch file and the default.py files? Can someone direct me in the right direction? Using his same exact environment and getting the crashes/black screen on rom/emu close as well!
Hi everybody and malte in particular,

This is KINGxMANIACx from YouTube, as I've said on there since the new update I haven't been able to import my games, I recently moved all my emulator roms to a PC that I use for storage, and I wanted to reconfigure RCB but now when I take the exact same steps as before and I select 'Import Games' after selecting "No" when RBC asks me if I want to add another Rom Library, it very briefly shows the importing game window (like 0.5 sec) and it goes into Library mode without displaying ANY games. Could it maybe be the fact that my roms are now on another PC? Because my movies are on there as well, and I don't have any problems with them, but I know it's hardly the same as RCB.
tyson171 Wrote:First of all just wanted to say thanks for such a great add-on! This was exactly what I was looking for with my roms. Only problem is that I'm having the exact problem as schoresches, I read on how he fixed the issuse, but I'm not sure what files he was editing to fix the autobatch file and the default.py files? Can someone direct me in the right direction? Using his same exact environment and getting the crashes/black screen on rom/emu close as well!
You have to edit the file "applaunch.bat". You will find it in RCBs install dir (XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser).

TheCookieAddict Wrote:I recently moved all my emulator roms to a PC that I use for storage, and I wanted to reconfigure RCB but now when I take the exact same steps as before and I select 'Import Games' after selecting "No" when RBC asks me if I want to add another Rom Library, it very briefly shows the importing game window (like 0.5 sec) and it goes into Library mode without displaying ANY games. Could it maybe be the fact that my roms are now on another PC?
It is quite common to store the roms on a network share, so it should not be a general problem. I guess there is something wrong with the path or the access to your new rom location. Could you please post the content of your config.xml (at least the romPath) and the xbmc.log (after trying to import the games)? You should upload the files to pastebin and only post the link here.
Thanks, had the edit the helper.py as well, but finally got this to work!
Just one more quick question, i'm using a psx emulator called psxfin or the website...http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/. (just the authors site no more). Anyways for the emulator to launch in full screen it needs a -f command ran before the program launches. (i can open up command prompt, put the -f command in front of the .exe, and launch it in full screen. This is the only way to get this to launch full screen other then alt + enter once it launches in windowed mode. Is there anyway through rom collection browser or any other idea that anyone has to force this emu into fullscreen on startup?
great plugin. having trouble getting it to work using local artwork and info. i go through all the steps, but when it comes time to import the games, nothing seems to happen. it just goes back to the empty browsing screen, which is a big wall of "all"s seeing as nothing has been imported. they import fine if scaped online, but i'd love to use my local artwork sets just to keep everything clean. i'm not exactly sure what's up.

here's my log (heh)
@tyson171:
I guess you have to add the -f to the emuParams. Unfortunately you can only do this with directly editing in config.xml atm. But there will be a new version soon that allows editing the params via UI.

@twotone8:
Looks like there is something wrong with your config.xml. There are no RomCollections found during import. Could you please upload a log file after you have tried to add a rom collection?