Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: recommended dvb-t twin turner for linux xbmc tvheadend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been googling to find a good/best DVB-t twin turner, pci or pci-e if supported, to use in my ubuntu 9.10 with xbmc & tvheadend, (i'm located in country NSW Australia) the more I look the harder it gets Sad. Would really appreciate any advice on what has proven to worked well for others.

Thanks
Garry
Don't buy any pinnacle product!They sucks a lot.I've bought a year ago a 310i Hybrid model but the remote controller in bundle with it doesn't work at all.I'm still waiting some fix from Hermann Pitton,if he 'll be able to resolve the problem.
Go on Hauppauge instead.I've a very old Pvr150 and it works like a charm
and the support for this products is very good.
Kworld DVB-TPC-160-2T seems to be getting some good reviews on the Whirlpool and Australian Media Centre forums - pretty cheap too ($72 last I checked)

I'm planning on getting one soon unless something better pops up in the meantime...
Thanks guys. I'm surprised that there is not at least a few cards these days, that just work & are well supported (linux), for everything I find positive about a card working under linux i also find people having problems.

Still keen for info/advice on what others r using with linux & I will certainly update my experience when i get my DVB-t card
mudgee.garry Wrote:Thanks guys. I'm surprised that there is not at least a few cards these days, that just work & are well supported (linux), for everything I find positive about a card working under linux i also find people having problems.

Still keen for info/advice on what others r using with linux & I will certainly update my experience when i get my DVB-t card

I've not tried it with tvheadend (...yet, I'm waiting for a stable PVR release Wink), but with MythtTV & Ubuntu (Hardy & Karmic), I've found the Hauppauge Nova-T 500 PCI to be very stable. It does require a few tweaks to get it so, but these are very minor. In Mythworld, this is quite a popular card.
I am using the Hauppauge Nova-T 500 for 3 months now with Tvheadend and it works stable. I am recording about 3 hours per evening with it, and also occasionally on two channels simultaneously. I have xbmc 9.11, Tvheadend 2.10 and Newcs 1.67rc1

Note: please check whether a DVB-T coding system is used in your area and when yes which one. At the moment Tvheadend 2.10 does only support EMM updates for Conax (Irdeto 2 and Seca will follow in Tvheadend 2.11)
Thanks all, for your recommendations, I have been playing around with a Leadtek dvt1000 s with limited success, there nice and cheap and may work better for anyone that has really good signal strength. I have had much better success by stealing my son's ps3 Play Tv usb turner, it works well on linux, without patching. I will buy the nova t-500 and see how I go with it.

I have also been testing tvheadend with xbmc with some success, expecting this to improve with the nova t-500.

Cheers
ads_german Wrote:Kworld DVB-TPC-160-2T seems to be getting some good reviews on the Whirlpool and Australian Media Centre forums - pretty cheap too ($72 last I checked)

I'm planning on getting one soon unless something better pops up in the meantime...

Would not recomend this one, there is a signal issue when you enable the second tuner in tvheadend. known issue with driver still not fixed. I ended up buying two seperate tuners Leadtek Winfast DTV 2000H (non plus version).

I've been through alot of tuners in linux the best supported are usually the older ones with booktree chipsets.