Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live - problem booting from USB flash drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to setup XBMC Live on my nettop (Foxconn 330i with Atom 330 and Ion GPU) and when I go to boot from the USB drive, it just won't do it. I downloaded the Live ISO and used Unetbootin to make it bootable, and I've set my BIOS to boot only from the flash drive and disabled my internal SATA drive as a boot device. But when I turn it on I get the "BOOTMGR is missing" screen even though my hard drive has been formatted and Windows erased, and it's disabled in the BIOS as a boot device. Can anyone help?
So you don't get to the XBMC Live boot menu at all? Sounds like the flash drive is the issue. I remember reading something about it a while ago that some of the cheaper drives aren't capable of booting without installing a boot partition on it first (or something like that).

Anyway, I'd try another flash drive if you can.
matt_mcmhn Wrote:I'm trying to setup XBMC Live on my nettop (Foxconn 330i with Atom 330 and Ion GPU) and when I go to boot from the USB drive, it just won't do it. I downloaded the Live ISO and used Unetbootin to make it bootable, and I've set my BIOS to boot only from the flash drive and disabled my internal SATA drive as a boot device. But when I turn it on I get the "BOOTMGR is missing" screen even though my hard drive has been formatted and Windows erased, and it's disabled in the BIOS as a boot device. Can anyone help?

To be sure the flash drive is bootable try it in another computer.
The flash drive is definitely bootable, I've used it to install Windows 7 on the same machine I'm trying to install Live on now.

Now I've got a different problem. Last night I finally got it to boot from the drive by downloading the Live 9.11 ISO, burning it to a disk, then installing it to the flash drive from my laptop (basically following the Lifehacker how-to) but now XBMC won't run. Here it is step by step.

I start up the computer, boot from the USB drive, and it loads and brings me to a black and white screen where I can select either "Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic" or "Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (recovery mode).

When I select either one it brings me to a screen that says "Starting up..." then I'll see the XBMC logo and a loading circle for a few seconds.

After that it brings me to another black and white screen that says
"Boot from (hd0.0) ext4 *bunch of letters and numbers*
Ubuntu 9.10 new-host tty1

new-host login:"

When I login with the username and password I set during the XBMC installation it just brings me to a command line interface.

I have no idea what to do. I tried installing both the XBMCfreak version and the 9.11 version to my flash drive, and I also tried plugging the nettop's hard drive into my laptop and installing XBMC from the burned ISO in my CD drive straight to the nettop's drive. Nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help?

And thank you very much for taking the time to read this
The answer is probably in the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Upload it on pastebin and post a link here.
JumJum Wrote:The answer is probably in the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Upload it on pastebin and post a link here.

Where do I find that file?

Sorry I'm completely new to this.
matt_mcmhn Wrote:Where do I find that file?

Sorry I'm completely new to this.

On the usb stick you installed xbmc on. In the directory /var/log/.
JumJum Wrote:On the usb stick you installed xbmc on. In the directory /var/log/.

OK thanks. I'll post it when I'm home from work today since I don't have the stick with me.
Hi matt_mcmhn,
Did you happen to find a solution for your issue?
I am having the same issue!
I am using the Acer 1600 with my Vizio TV, plugin through HDMI
I have also used the steps from lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-si...-the-cheap

And installed the OS on the tumbdrive from a CD (Using my laptop)
I have also verified that I can boot my laptop via the usb drive and can see XBMC with no issues, as well as play with the menu and view movies, but it will not work on the Acer 1600!!!

Note:
I can't copy and past the entire log as I can't read anything from my tumbdrive when I plug it into my laptop, so here is some of the logs and I hope it helps!

(II) intel (0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (exceeds panel dimensions)
(II) intel (0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (exceeds panel dimensions)
(II) intel (0): Not using default mode "1920x1080" (monitor doesn't support reduced blanking)

all the way to
(II) intel (0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (exceeds panel dimensions)

(II) intel(0): EDID for output TV1
(II) At translated set 2 keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadMosule: "evdev"
(II) Video Bus: Close
(II) Sleep Button: Close
(II) Dell WMI hotkeys: Close
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) Video Bus: Close
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
I was able to install xbmc by making the usb tunmb drive my install CD using
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I then used the tumbdrive to install XBMC to my 4GB SD card and it worked great!
matt_mcmhn Wrote:The flash drive is definitely bootable, I've used it to install Windows 7 on the same machine I'm trying to install Live on now.

Now I've got a different problem. Last night I finally got it to boot from the drive by downloading the Live 9.11 ISO, burning it to a disk, then installing it to the flash drive from my laptop (basically following the Lifehacker how-to) but now XBMC won't run. Here it is step by step.

I start up the computer, boot from the USB drive, and it loads and brings me to a black and white screen where I can select either "Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic" or "Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (recovery mode).

When I select either one it brings me to a screen that says "Starting up..." then I'll see the XBMC logo and a loading circle for a few seconds.

After that it brings me to another black and white screen that says
"Boot from (hd0.0) ext4 *bunch of letters and numbers*
Ubuntu 9.10 new-host tty1

new-host login:"

When I login with the username and password I set during the XBMC installation it just brings me to a command line interface.

I have no idea what to do. I tried installing both the XBMCfreak version and the 9.11 version to my flash drive, and I also tried plugging the nettop's hard drive into my laptop and installing XBMC from the burned ISO in my CD drive straight to the nettop's drive. Nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help?

And thank you very much for taking the time to read this

I too am having the same error but i installed it on an 80gig hard drive.Confused