Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ATV as NAS Samba server international chars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello !

I am setting up an ATV for a friend, ATV will act both as a HTPC with XBMC and as a NAS using Samba as per http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_SAMBA_server

Eveything is working fine except for some problems with international characters. (Beeing a Swede we do use them quite alot..)
In XBMC all transfered files shows up with their correct characters but when the connecting to the ATV using samba from a Windows machine the characters are not displayed correctly.
For instance the file: "Så här går det till på Saltkråkan.avi"
Shows up as: "Så här går det till på Saltkråkan.avi" on the samba share.
Using a cat+tab on the file on atv gives: "Sa\314\212\ ha\314\210r\ ga\314\212r\ det\ till\ pa\314\212\ Saltkra\314\212kan.avi"

I have read (and tried) tons of info on Samba and charsets. I have tried different combos of
Code:
unix charset = UTF8
display charset = UTF8
dos charset = 850/UFT8

But I just cant get files to be displayed correctly.
I dont know if it matters but I cant seem to get info as to what locale the atv uses.

Can someone pls help ? I assume the competence should be here since XBMC can handle the files correctly :-)
Most likely a winzozz issue then
Are you sure you want to set up a server on a machine with a tiny disk (160 GB) only spinning at 5400 rpm?
The intention is to hook up a bigger external drive to the USB port hence the need and imo great idea to use the ATV as both HTPC and NAS/Fileserver.
Are you at least connected through ethernet otherwise that is going to be the slowest NAS you could possibly see
What kind of files you want to serve out of the ATV just as curiosity?
Yup I will be using a wired connection.
The atv will be used by a very "no tech" kind of people that will use Windows to rip DVD's and store them on the ATV's external disk.
They will also use the external disk as their storage for MP3Confused.
All playback will be through XBMC.

My idea was to use a simple network share in Windows and as long as they store the files on that windows drive it will be accessible in XBMC.
It's to advanced for them to use FTP or SCP.
If you just write once on the ATV and only play from there then don't bother about characters mapping at the end of the day you just want to play the files out of XBMC and that works obviously
That would work but I was kind of hoping that I could use the atv "both ways" so to say.
Not a good idea as it makes a crap NAS
Well I would be happy with the NAS as long as this issue got solved.
I guess we all have different needs (and budget/funding/willingness to spend cash)
Any other ideas to try to get this working on the ATV ?