Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DXVA2 GPU Acceleration for MPEG-2 Videos (Using ION)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's my situation. I record over-the-air HD ATSC content with my BeyondTV server. It saves these shows as ".tp" files, which is just a wrapper for the MPEG-2 file. XBMC has no problem opening and playing back these files, however I do believe XBMC is having trouble using DXVA.

I am using a Acer Revo 1600 on Windows 7 x86. I have used the ION "hack" to update my ION to a full ION (not the LE version). It now shows DX 10 is supported. I am using the latest (March 1) nightly build of XBMC.

I have had great success using hardware acceleration for smooth playback in other video players (Beyond TV Link, MPC-HC), however when trying to play the .tp file, XBMC did not appear to perform hardware acceleration like my other programs did. It was jittery with lost frames while others were smooth. I've tried Auto, Normal, and DXVA settings, with no noticeable difference.

I installed GPU-Z to figure out what the GPU was doing. With working programs, both "GPU Load", and "Video Engine Load" were high. With XBMC, "GPU Load" was high, but "Video Engine Load" was zero. Can anyone tell me what this means? Is there any way to confirm XBMC is or is not using HW accel?

DXVA2 in XBMC is still early stage. It is supporting H.264 and VC-1 only not mpeg-2 as far as I know.
It has troubles in ATI and Intel hardware as well.
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/27376
Thanks for the info.

I also read in another thread that XBMC uses ffmpeg to decode MPEG-2.

So is this a separate issue from the DXVA2 stuff that is going on?

i.e. MPEG-2 HW accelerated playback solely depends on if ffmpeg has the ability to use GPU acceleration for the ION? if ffmpeg supports it, XBMC will... Or is there more to it?
When ffmpeg supports dxva2 acceleration for mpeg2 we will support it soon after (it's currently not supported)
Thanks,
That's exactly what I was wondering.
Can you tell us more about this ion "hack" does it inprove preformance ect Smile
Is this the hack?
(deleting 087E from the inf file, and replacing 0876 with 087E)
The Acer Revo 1600's come with a trimmed down version of the ION, called ION LE, which only supports DX9. The 1600's come with the LE because they are shipped with XP and XP doesn't support DX10. However the ION hardware is exactly the same, so you can modify the .inf file for the Nvidia driver to use the full ION drivers on your 1600.

This only helps if you are upgrading to Windows Vista or 7, as they support DX10+.

Google has all kinds of tutorials if you search for Acer Revo 1600 ION Hack.
Thanks man cleared it all up for me Smile
You could use Cyberlink DVD Decoder as external player for Mpeg2/dvd material. It's the only Mpeg2/dvd decoder that actually uses DXVA.

It is supposed to deliver the best image quality. Although check this first post in the mediaportal forum, seems there are more decoders now. BTW Cyberlink isnt free but you can easily copy the file from the trail version. Works fine. Not sure how legal it is Wink

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs...1-a-44614/
(search for Cyberlink and you'll find the interesting part).
zilexa Wrote:You could use Cyberlink DVD Decoder as external player for Mpeg2/dvd material. It's the only Mpeg2/dvd decoder that actually uses DXVA.

It is supposed to deliver the best image quality. Although check this first post in the mediaportal forum, seems there are more decoders now. BTW Cyberlink isnt free but you can easily copy the file from the trail version. Works fine. Not sure how legal it is Wink
Can you explain or point me to some good direction on how to use the Cyberlink DVD Decoder in XBMC? Cyberlink came with my computer, but I can't figure out how to use its decoder in XBMC.

Thanks!
zilexa Wrote:You could use Cyberlink DVD Decoder as external player for Mpeg2/dvd material. It's the only Mpeg2/dvd decoder that actually uses DXVA.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs...1-a-44614/
(search for Cyberlink and you'll find the interesting part).

Thanks Zilexa. But how to make Cyberlink DVD Decoder working in XBMC. I mean how can dvdplay use it to decode these files encoded on MPEG-2.
XBMC Dharma includes mpeg2 hw acceleration, you don't need to use an external player.
CrystalP Wrote:XBMC Dharma includes mpeg2 hw acceleration, you don't need to use an external player.

? Wonderful news! I justs created a new thread "talks about fluent DVD rendering" http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108342 , right about this matter... Can't wait for Dharma...Big Grin

edit:... 10.1 is dharma.. is DVD really HW accelerated DXVA2?
Hardware decoding on non-DVD MPEG-2 is already built-in.

DVD MPEG-2 playback currently "forces" software decoding. I'm working with elupus on allowing hardware accelerated decoding (very simple, a flag to turn on).

Results are promising, almost all dvd's work fine, except for a few outliers that don't decode well on hardware (yielding black and/or macro blocked images).
Voyager-xbmc Wrote:I'm working with elupus on allowing hardware accelerated decoding (very simple, a flag to turn on).

I'd kiss your Feet if you can make this to work. Laugh My primary xbmc usage is DVD .iso movies (full dump with DVDFab). library is VAST on the 6TB NAS.. Smile