Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Poll: What media center software do you use? Vote XBMC..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running an external poll to find out what media center people are using (e.g, XBMC, Boxee, Windows Media Center, etc).

http://thehtpcblog.com/forums/topic.php?id=4

Assuming you're reading this, you are an avid XBMC user. Please show your love for XBMC by voting that you use it.

Admins, please let me know if there is a problem with this poll.. Or support it if you see fit.
Wow.. XBMC needs some votes.
there are quite a lot of people out there not knowing about XBMC. Since it's word of mouth and not sold in store's and such. I tell people all the time at my work to customer's (IT Tech) and spread the word. And after showing screenshot's, they are in shock. And then tell them it's free, they fall over and die. (not literally) Media Center is awful, i've briefly messed with Boxee, and made my own decision that it still also doesn't compare, although pretty nice. I used to use GBPVR and ported over the PM skin for it a long time ago, but still no where near the same experience. And i didn't even bother looking at the other's in the vote (boo anyway)
I would put more trust in a lifehacker type of poll with a bigger user pool...Plex seems disproportionaly high considering Macs have only 8-10% market share.
I agree.. XBMC is very word-of-mouth. It's a shame that the media center apps that it gave life to gain more mainstream popularity than it does. It's clearly underground and my assumption is that Team XBMC likes it that way... for now.

They make a few blog posts and Twitter updates here and there but not much. If you look at the "social fanbase" and compare it to Boxee and Plex, they blow XBMC out of the water. The votes will display each media center's social impact, user awareness, and user community involvement rather than sheer distribution of users.
mcborzu Wrote:I would put more trust in a lifehacker type of poll with a bigger user pool...Plex seems disproportionaly high considering Macs have only 8-10% market share.
I didn't check out the Lifehacker poll.. Do you know by chance if they blocked duplicate votes? I wouldn't trust any polls without that. The one posted uses both cookie and IP address to make sure people only vote once.

The purpose of this particular poll isn't to specifically show the saturation of one media center vs the next.. but rather how involved and socially aware the users are. The results of @xbmc tweeting this versus @boxee would yield totally different expectations. @plexapp tweeted the poll and added to Facebook and there ended up having over over 100 votes in less than an hour.
I wasn't referencing a particular Lifehacker poll just giving an example. Though I assume Lifehacker has done that type of poll, they do those type of polls all the time
If I got all the people I alone have introduced to XBMC and/or built Xboxes for to vote - XBMC would be the highest score on there simple.... Smile most of them are just not surfers thou.
Geeba Wrote:If I got all the people I alone have introduced to XBMC and/or built Xboxes for to vote - XBMC would be the highest score on there simple.... Smile most of them are just not surfers thou.

Are you saying they actually USE xbmc, instead of hanging out online talking about using XBMC? Weirdos!
natethomas Wrote:Are you saying they actually USE xbmc, instead of hanging out online talking about using XBMC? Weirdos!

Classic! Rofl

I was thinking exactly the same! Laugh they just use it! never grumble for upgrades.... they watch movies, listen to music and show pictures to family and friends... its just plain strange!! Laugh I've never once found my mum throwing a fit coz the Xbox fell over during an FTP transfer ether!
Actually, I would think Windows Media Center has the biggest end-user base.. especially considering they have 100k more forum members than XBMC. I could be wrong though.

Geeba Wrote:... most of them are just not surfers thou.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for: Who in "the community" uses what? WMC probably has more users but not the most that are "in the know." The poll doesn't have the exposure of Lifehacker (for example) so unless every media center spreads the word, it'll lean more towards those that do.

I do plan on researching actual download data some time in the future to get a "most downloaded" picture.