Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot stream MKV files to XBox 360
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to stream MKV files to my XBox 360.
My XBox is not modded in any way.

All my video files work through XBMC on my P4 3GHz 2.5GB RAM desktop computer.

Also, not all of my AVI files are listed while streaming to the XBox 360 either.
I have the CCCP code package installed on the computer.

Should the XBMC software be able to stream the MKV files to the XBox 360, and if so, can anyone suggest what I need to check?
pininafarina Wrote:Should the XBMC software be able to stream the MKV files to the XBox 360, and if so, can anyone suggest what I need to check?

No, XBMC can't stream your content to your Xbox 360. XBMC has nothing to do with the Xbox 360. You will need some transcoding software in order to stream content (other than avi) to your Xbox 360.
xbox 360 has strange encoding requirements too btw. Gotta use WMV for the best experience, which is retarded.
I use ps3mediaserver to stream content to my 360. My HTPC is hooked up to a high def tv but my 360 in the bedroom is not. The nice thing about ps3mediaserver is that most content is able to stream with no transcoding so you still get your skip and fast forward functionality. I do have issues streaming high def content to the 360 I think due to the fact it's transcoding and it seams to run out of buffer. That issue does not happen to the ps3 hooked up to a high def tv in another room. For any high def mkv files I use orb to stream them to my 360 although I don't know how good the quality would be on a high def tv. Another one you can try is tversity.

I run two instances of ps3mediaserver on their own ports with an ip filter for the specific device I want it to stream to. One is for the 360 and another for the PS3. I also run orb for the high def content to my 360 as well as stream all content to my iphone. Works great.
The built-in media center in Windows 7 will stream MKV's if you use the Divx H.264 codec (configure 360 as a Media center extender). I tried it out and was surprised to see 'most' MKV's work fine. A few 'out of spec' files had audio but no video.