Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [MAC] New Macbook Pro - Now What
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did some searches and I couldn't find what I needed, so if this is already posted somewhere I apologize in advance, but please provide me with a link.

I got a new 13" macbook pro, Intel graphics, 2.26 Ghz, 160 gig hard drive, 2 gig ram for my wife to replace her old laptop. She's so unhappy with the MAC OS and relearning everything, she's given it to me. Nerd

So I'm one of those old school XMBC for Xbox users. I've been using it for years, but I was wondering about the capabilities for this macbook pro running XBMC. I've got a 46" 1080p flat screen that we usually watch our shows on, and an older 5.1 surround sound system.

As far as setup goes, what do I need to buy for the mac? I know a video cable is required, but which one do I get? Do I need to upgrade the RAM? I mainly do standard definition shows because they download faster, but occasionally I do movies and would like to do hi def (wasn't really possible on XBOX). What are the capabilities here?

thanks in advance!
Does your Tv have HDMI if yes you need a mini DVI to DVI converter and an HDMI - DVI cable for the TV (better than connecting through VGA) this will give you 1080p
For the audio you can get a minitoslink adapter so that you can plug it into the surround system
this will play H264high profile 4.1 HD+AC3 Audio MKVs without any problems
Not sure about DTS depends on your receiver
Depending on how new your Macbook is you will either need MiniDVI to HDMI (or DVI) OR Mini Displayport to HDMI (or DVI)
I've got a displayport output on my macbook. My TV doesn't do VGA, so I'll need to go to HDMI (or DVI with a converter cable). Are there any recommendations for an adapter, I've read about issues with the displayport?

Can you provide more info for the toslink audio adapter for my macbook pro? Would one of these work with a macbook pro?

http://www.lunch.com/MacMiniHomeTheater/..._HTPC.html

I'd actually like to retain the ability to have both sterio L+R outputs that go directly to my TV, as well as toslink to my stereo, like my old XBOX could do. The reason for this is that I like to just turn on the TV when watching shows, but will use the sterio surround for movies. So is there an adapter out there that would split out the analog signals from the optical (assuming the MBpro has optical output)?

thanks again!
I also found this:

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Adapte...=pd_cp_e_3

Can I assume that the audio will not go through the display port to the HDMI input? If it would that would be cool.
Unfortunately there is no audio over HDMI natively, but it can be achieved with this adapter. In the link below there are 2 adapters that can be used, one supports 5.1 channel audio and the other 2 channel stereo.

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/10/16/re...tal-audio/
Ugh, I forgot about video. Guess I'll have to run more cables through walls.

My current setup (all going through walls, as my TV is over the fireplace)

My sterio is 5.1 channel surround, but not DTS (whatever that means). The DTS standard was still pretty new when I purchased the Yamaha receiver.

For DVDs - 1 HDMI cable to TV, digital coax to stereo receiver for surround sound.
For XBOX - Component video (YPrPb) and audio L + R cables to TV and Toslink Optical to the stereo.

Taking the Xbox out of the mix and adding the Macbook Pro would mean 1 of the 2:

1: Using an HDMI switcher possibly and just use the existing HDMI cable and also getting the 5.1 channel mini display port adapter mentioned by kcarney (thanks for that).
2: Run another HDMI cable and purchasing the same adapter. This would allow me to keep the XBOX connected to the TV the way it is now.

2. is cheaper I think, but I'm not sure which setup would be better. I'd like to keep the DVD player hooked up because its just easier for the kids to use.

Also, what about control? I have a wireless mouse, but no keyboard. Is the keyboard something I'm going to need consistently when sitting down to watch, or will the mouse be enough to launch movies, shows, music and pics? Does anybody have a remote control setup on their mac? I think I have a USB infrared adapter somewhere.
No problem.

I had a similar situation to yours not too long ago, (and maybe coming soon again). I went to radioshack to pick up an HDMI switcher to avoid re-sorting the rat's nest behind the entertainment center and found it to be a complete POS. Don't buy one of those. Search around ebay and view the seller feedback if he has sold multiple. The one I found is a 4 port RESOUND branded switcher with IR remote. Works okay though it has some glitches when waking the Apple TV but what do you want for $30.

Option 2 is indeed cheaper, and your mouse *should* be enough.
sorry to stick my nose in here but if you are using your mac book (i just quickly tried mine) you might need a keyboard plugged in so you can close the lid. As i say just quickly tried so maybe be very bad a advice but thought I would share.
Slownis Wrote:I got a new 13" macbook pro, Intel graphics, 2.26 Ghz, 160 gig hard drive, 2 gig ram for my wife to replace her old laptop. She's so unhappy with the MAC OS and relearning everything, she's given it to me. Nerd

:confused2: Doesn't like Mac OS? Wow, I'd suggest divorce. Big Grin (heheh)

Silly question, but why didn't you just install Windows on it for her then?

As for hooking it up to your TV, the suggestions here are correct: a HDMI switch-box would be a good idea if you are out of inputs and this little guy will give you video and audio out of the laptop to HDMI:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
You can control XBMC with the mac remote but it would be better with a harmony as you would access all functions
If you are going to need an HDMI switch the harmony would be really a good idea as you would get rid of all of the other remotes and make life easier for your kids trying to play a DVD
mac don't output sound from mini dvi so you will need to use the minitoslink to your amplifier to use surround and though you could possibly get an RCA to USB jack I am not sure what kind of audio support you would get out of it.
BlackstarBSP Wrote::confused2: Doesn't like Mac OS? Wow, I'd suggest divorce. Big Grin (heheh)

Silly question, but why didn't you just install Windows on it for her then?

That is a silly question. If I did that, I wouldn't have a new MAC for XBMC would I?Laugh
Slownis Wrote:That is a silly question. If I did that, I wouldn't have a new MAC for XBMC would I?Laugh

I'm just surprised she didn't ask. Wink
UPDATE. Thanks to those who posted so far. I got the adapter cable in the mail today and tried it out. I have to say I'm not too pleased with it. The audio keeps dropping out when I change the displays, or do anything. I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in in order to get the audio to come back.

I also noticed jittery video. A couple of times the show paused until the buffer caught up. I was testing out a h246 video in 720p. I was going over wireless network, so maybe thats part of the issue. Next time I'll try it hard wired.

I also really, really need to find a better way to control it. Kept losing the mouse.

And the previous post was correct about the MBP going to sleep whenever you shut the lid.

Are there any other MBP XBMC users out there? If so, any more tips for these issues?
Slownis Wrote:UPDATE. Thanks to those who posted so far. I got the adapter cable in the mail today and tried it out. I have to say I'm not too pleased with it. The audio keeps dropping out when I change the displays, or do anything. I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in in order to get the audio to come back.

I also noticed jittery video. A couple of times the show paused until the buffer caught up. I was testing out a h246 video in 720p. I was going over wireless network, so maybe thats part of the issue. Next time I'll try it hard wired.

I also really, really need to find a better way to control it. Kept losing the mouse.

And the previous post was correct about the MBP going to sleep whenever you shut the lid.

Are there any other MBP XBMC users out there? If so, any more tips for these issues?

Wireless = bad

Wired = good. Wink

Depending on the bitrate of the files your wireless network may not have the bandwidth, or other traffic is causing delays, hence the 'buffering'.

Here's a good place to find out how to run your MPB with lid closed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

As for audio, is the adapter set as the default audio output in XBMC and in the Mac's system settings?
Pages: 1 2