Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setting up a library (cover image issues + more)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi (first post and all),

I decided some time ago it was time to rip my entire dvd collection. Each dvd got ripped to mkv with original video format inside (extras, dubbed audio and unwanted subtitling removed). I scanned covers and each movie is located in a separate directory along with the cover named as folder.jpg

Using xbmc 9.11 (using ubuntu 9.10 if that matters) this works great in "file" mode, but when specifying a library and importing meta information for the movies the local folder.jpg gets replaced by an imported cover which quite often is of inferior quality, does not look the same etc.

So, is it somehow possible to import meta info except for the actual cover and force the local cover to be used? I know I can manually change displayed cover after the import, but that a rather tedious operation if I have to do it for almost all movies.

The data is saved like this

<movies>
<movie name 1>
"movie name 1.mkv"
"folder.jpg"
<movie name 2>
"movie name 2.mkv"
"folder.jpg"

Sometimes I have deeper nesting as well for collections of movies

<movies>
<collection name>
"folder.jpg"
<movie name 1>
"movie name 1.mkv"
"folder.jpg"
<movie name 2>
"movie name 2.mkv"
"folder.jpg"

Also, a bonus question for those that have bothered to read as far as this. I have categories like this on the file system

"Movies"
"Documentaries"
"Cartoons"
"Classical music" (concerts, operas etc)
"TV series"

Can I somehow divide all of these in separate library categories? At the moment it looks like I can only select "Movies" and "TV series"
Hi there,

I'm just searching through the forums because I'm experiencing the same issue too. Have you managed to find a solution?

Thanks.
I believe that xbmc uses folder.jpg for file mode however for library mode it defaults to movie.tbn. I would try to duplicate your folder.jpg files or rename them all to movie.tbn. I use this structure for my files and it works perfectly.

<Movies>
<Movie Name 1>
Movie Name 1.mkv
folder.jpg
movie.tbn (same as folder.jpg just renamed)
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo

Hope this helps.
I just reread the wiki, http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Thumbnails

"For movies, movie.tbn will override any other thumb.

For folders: XBMC first checks for <foldername>.tbn in the same directory as the folder is in. If no <foldername>.tbn exists XBMC then checks for folder.jpg inside the movie-folder. In either case the first found thumb of those is cached."

What you are doing should work since it should look for the folder.jpg second. Since it isn't I would still try the movie.tbn. I have both and have never had any problems.
folder.jpg is only used if you scan by folder name.
Thanks for your replies.

Looks like having 'movie.tbn' in the movie folder does the trick.

Now I just have to figure how I'm going to copy around 800 'folder.jpg's to 'movie.tbn's!
movie.tbn doesnt work in last svn
i did fresh install and scanned .
doesnt work also folder.jpg not working

:/

too bad , look like they changed something in last svn