Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XLink KAI online gaming support in XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
in reading the latest release of xbmc xboxmediacenter.xml file. it says that kai(xlink) is currently unsupported.  but upon reading the official xlink forum on x_s.  xlink members say that the service is working.  here is the thread.  http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...try1330078

here is quote from that thread from a respected member of xbox-scene

[/quote]sniperkilla posted: apr 11 2004, 04:35 pm  

x-s genius

group: members
member no.: 1372

haha finally we can play online again!

the nature of the xbmc project cannot keep stuff like this out of cvs for long, because the cvs source is always evolving.. and runtime would have to put kai into every single cvs source update just to keep developing the kai integration... i dont think anyone has that much commitment to go and do that, as it could take hours per every cvs update

this xbmc integration has only brought good around here... as 5 of my friends with pc's far away from their xbox's can finally come and play with me on kai..

and the avalaunch integration will only make things better

it shouldent be about whos first..

Quote:so my million dollar question? is kai(xlink) currently working for anyone from inside xbmc.  if yes, how did you configure it.  i put in my xlink xtag and passowd in the xml file. when i enter xlink from xbmc it pulls up my only my games that are supported, very cool btw.  then what do i do. i've played plug and play with all the buttons but couldn't get connected.  i also changed opened up the proper ports in my router and used my xbox's ip address(changed from my copmuters ip, which i used for the computer based xlink.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
unsupported doesn't mean not working, it means no-one will help you Smile that being said, there is a thread on x-s forums on how to do it, and it does work. something about starting the engine and not the client, or the client and not the engine.....

and it shouldn't make x-s news until it's a tested/stable feature that is supported.
thanks jaga, i'll search on x-s.
@jaga

i searched and searched the x-s forum with no luck on finding anything relevant to the proper set-up for kai in xbmc.

do you happen to have a link the thread. thx.
ok, there *was* a thread there,l believe in the xlink forum. but it appears to have been deleted ( i know i posted in it, and i've search on my nick and i get nothing).... so try launching the engine and not the client, thats what i think it said to do. anyway, once it's more mature it will become supported and documented.
theres a help page on http://www.xboxlink.co.uk explaining how to set up your router/ics...etc for running xlink(kai) on your pc

http://www.xboxlink.co.uk/help.php
launch kai engine on pc.. from launcher.exe... dont start the kai ui.. just close the launcher program once u click launch kai engine...

edit your xml for xbmc and fill in your xlink kai login and password in the tags that are there.., pick the green icon up top of the media center skin.. or the x in the project mayhem skin.. and enjoy
(silentyl @ april 15 2004,05:29 Wrote:theres a help page on http://www.xboxlink.co.uk explaining how to set up your router/ics...etc for running xlink(kai) on your pc

http://www.xboxlink.co.uk/help.php
note that it's an unofficial kai implementation so not only is it not supported by us (yet) but it's not supported by http://xboxlink.co.uk either!

(runtime @ april 05 2004,18:05 Wrote:...please note it's not ready for prime-time yet.

you should know that 'thedaddy' (author of xlink) isn't too happy that *our* implementation is in xbmc cvs as he wants to develop the service further and potentially introduce changes that will affect user experience (and consequently burden him with support issues).

however, with a total integration time of just under four hours, i wasn't prepared to wait any longer. so i would ask you all to downplay this feature for the time being - at least in the short term.

although it looks nice and is functional, if asked, we need just to acknowledge its existence and that it's a work in progress.

thanks for your kind attention
ps! we are not going to publicly announce/support it until the kai library is more mature and we have official approval from the xlink-project

so please keep this on the low down for now, sure you test it and play around with it but don't submit bugs or request for help just yet,
(know that it's very unlikely that this will make it as an official feature/function of xbmc 1.0, if so please respect that, thx for understanding)
(gamester17 @ april 15 2004,11:55 Wrote:(know that it's very unlikely that this will make it as an official feature/function of xbmc 1.0, if so please respect that, thx for understanding)
... why not.. its almost perfect as it is.. just needs voice chat in game arenas..
sniperkilla,
one reason as to why not (imo) is that the xlink team doesn't really want any xbox based clients released for this until they are satisfied and done w/ thier end of it.
going thru this thread and having dabbled with kai and xbmc, i was curious if the xbmc team plan on providing (in the future) the function to launch the games from hdd?

this probably belongs in the "wish list" section for xbmc.
sorry... Sad

/b
you can launch games from hd.

from my programs.

setup your bookmarks in xboxmediacenter.xml.

my programs has all you need. make sure to set both options in settings->programs.

your bookmark path should be something like:

<path>f:\games</path>

that should do it.

when kai asks to insert dvd or whatever, back out and goto my programs and launch the game you want.

ts
thanks for the response ts.

i never did try going back to the "my programs" menu
and launching from there. i assumed the game had to
be launched at the time it was requested.

probably should have known better since i've been
running multiple functions (for example listening to music
and viewing pics) in xbmc at the same time.

thanks again.
/b
supported or not... it works great!
by way of an update, a couple of weeks ago td and i resolved outstanding issues concerning integration into xbmc.
and as such kai support will continue to be updated live in the cvs.

since this feature is rather different to the kind we would normally implement, please bear with us while we get up to speed with it i.e. produce some supporting documentation on how to use/configure.

thanks

Pages: 1 2 3 4