Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: vdpau not loading on upgraded live to svn install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
mostly new to linux so bear with me. trying to slim my system down a bit so i'm giving XBMC on linux a try. i've actually got it mostly where i want with the exception that i can't seem to get vdpau to work. video render setting is set to vdpau, though auto also did not work.

i started with xbmc live 9.11 installed to disk. upgraded to the latest svn by following the instructions here, and then built the latest svn at the time which was 28998 based on the instructions here and in the readme.ubuntu and readme.linux files from the svn. after getting that installed and running the only other thing i did was run jumjum's excellent playback script.

according to this wiki page the decoder should be showing dc:ffh264vdpau but i am only getting dc:ff-h264 as evidenced by the screenshot below.

log: http://pastebin.com/fdD2FNd9

i did not upgrade the nvidia drivers from 9.11 so i believe i am still on 185. libvdpau is installed as well. i also installed mplayer-nogui based on the wiki page hoping that would solve the issue for me.

i was focused on getting to the latest version so, to be honest, i didn't try live 9.11 right out of the box to see if vdpau worked. however, i have had it working in the past so i just assumed it did. i plan on booting off a stick and testing a file in a moment, but wanted to get this posted first.

edit: just tried 9.11 live and vdpau does work just fine. so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmm, most likely a fuxored install, if you dont mind doing it again
i can give you a guide. This guide is aimed towards
these ION based plattforms with nvidia - but it should be a good layout
for most installs. Most of these tips is taken from different skilled persons here in these forums. Sorry for beeing to lazy to credit them Wink

This guide should give you a very minimal and nice setup for a clean and rapid working XBMC box. Works exelent on my end atleast Wink

Here goes:

Install a fresh XBMC from scratch:
Warning this process includes a complete formating
of your computer, destroying all files !!

1. PREPARING THE MEDIA
Get the Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala ISO from here:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/k...t/mini.iso

Get the Unetbootin from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboot...e/download

Find a usb stick with at least 512MB storage. Format it as FAT32 and
insert it into your computer.
Run the unetbootin-windows-419.exe
- Choose Ubuntu as distribution in the dropdownlist and 9.10_live
- Choose ISO and browse for the mini.iso in this package
- Set type to USB and choose the drive letter of your newly formatted usb stick.
- Hit OK button and the process starts
- When finished exit the application, do not reboot.

2. INSTALL UBUNTU KARMIC KOALA
get the install guide from here:
http://download882.mediafire.com/49wvxmy...creens.pdf

Insert the USB stick into your media-center computer and boot from usb
Follow the instruction in USB_mini_install screens.pdf
Choose locales other than english if you want to !
When done remove usb stick and reebot.

5. SETUP SSH FOR TELNET/PUTTY LOGIN TO THE COMPUTER
Upon login you will need to install openssh-server (so you can ssh or sftp into machine.)
Code:
aptitude install -y openssh-server

Let it install openssh and create DSA & RSA keys

Then you will need to restart networking to apply settings as follows:
Code:
/etc/init.d/networking restart

NB! If you get problems with sudo usage do the following:
Reboot the computer and hold the SHIFT key to get GRUB boot menu.
Select recovery mode

You need to install nano:
Code:
aptitude install -y nano

Then type in:
Code:
nano /etc/sudoers

Find the section
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

Add your user bellow, i added xbmc as user during install so the section should be like this:
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
xbmc ALL=(ALL) ALL

hit ctrl + x answer YES (y) to save the file
reboot

6. INSTALL XBMC
Login with the user you created during install.
Then run the following in terminal to get the xbmc install script

Code:
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/xci/files/Release/xci.sh/download

And then run the script by typing the following:

Code:
chmod +x xci.sh; sudo ./xci.sh

The script should start
Choose the option to install xbmc and choose your settings.
When all is done a hit OK to reboot
XBMC should now load up during next boot.

If you want to use SVN xbmc (for more recent build) you can run the script
again to set it up. Be warned that these svn build is not stable so dont do this
unless you know what you are doing Smile

If you like to use NFS sharing instead of samba follow this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=451...stcount=29
NFS is very fast compared to smb !!

Info used to make this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69753
thanks, i may give that a shot in a bit if i can't get it figured out. i saw in another post that upgrading my nvidia drivers might do the trick. unfortunately i'm still having the same problem with 195.36.15.

when i originally started this i went through the mythbuntu guide but for some reason grub would not install itself correctly the two times i went through the installation.
rebuilding your box may be overkill,
but sometimes its the easiest easiest to fix whats wrong Laugh

i rebuilt mine last week using the xbmcBuntu wiki
i'm using 195 installed with envyng
i then had the same issue... only getting ff-h264

Code:
$sudo apt-get install libvdpau-dev libvdpau1

reboot & it was now using ff-h264_vdpau
YMMV
furii Wrote:thanks, i may give that a shot in a bit if i can't get it figured out. i saw in another post that upgrading my nvidia drivers might do the trick. unfortunately i'm still having the same problem with 195.36.15.

when i originally started this i went through the mythbuntu guide but for some reason grub would not install itself correctly the two times i went through the installation.

I had the same problem with the mythbuntu guide, specialy using the Passion-XBMC build.
Now I simply install with the XBMCFreak cd V13 and then run an SVN update to XBMC 10.5, same for the Nvidia drivers, I update them directly to 195.

All is running smooth now.
zosky Wrote:rebuilding your box may be overkill,
but sometimes its the easiest easiest to fix whats wrong Laugh

i rebuilt mine last week using the xbmcBuntu wiki
i'm using 195 installed with envyng
i then had the same issue... only getting ff-h264

Code:
$sudo apt-get install libvdpau-dev libvdpau1

reboot & it was now using ff-h264_vdpau
YMMV

Thanks zosky, that solved it for me.
sadly nothing seemed to work. flattened and reinstalled based on the xbmcbuntu guide and was able to get everything up and running, vdpau and all. since i was able to get grub2 working easily this time i didn't have to go live 9.11 > svn ppa > svn build, instead i was able to go minimal ubuntu > live > svn build. if i knew how to write/find an init script i probably could have skipped installing live altogether. oh well, it's working and that's all that matters at this point. also glad someone else was able to fix their installed based on the info here Smile