Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to have Apple TV recognize my USB with movies on it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I searched these forums and couldn't find a topic about this, if there is already one please point in the right direction.

I just purchased an Apple TV, I have a computer that runs WinXP, and I just installed XBMC on my aTV.

My question is when I put a movie on my USB drive how do I make XBMC recognize that I plugged in my USB drive with movies on it.

When I go to the menu of XBMC I click on videos but it doesn't recognize that I have a USB drive with movies on it.

I hope that was enough information, if not let me know.

Thanks!
All info isd in the forums.
Steps what you need to do is. Install the nitotv and after this trough nititv install smart-installer.

This will enable all usb. Just know that you have to have your drive formatted fat32 (max 4gb files) or best HFS+
is the drive being attached to the computer running XP or to the aTV?
there is a great article somewhere in here that tells you how to do it. Just do a search for it.
As suggested by others you need NitoTv from within run smartinstaller
Remember XBMC will not read an NTFS drive it has to be HFS+ or FAT32
Tranquil Wrote:Thanks all for the tips!

My computer is WinXP I put movies on my USB via this computer and then (hopefully in the near future) take my USB drive with the movies and put them to my AppleTV.

Anyway I am trying to install NitoTV but maybe I'm just retarded but I'm having a hell of a time figureing out the install instructions, maybe someone here could point me in the right direction?

Install notes from the site:

So I downloaded "nitoTVInstaller.zip" but the part I don't get is how do I simple "copy" it over. The people writing this tutorial seem to think I know what I'm doing... Sadly I'm just a noob.

How do I open a SSH connection? Again people who write these tutorials really need to explain things in a little more detail.

I haven't got this far yet but, I just want to know what to do when I eventually get this far. So when I go to the directory where I placed NitoTV that will automatically prompt a window to pop up allowing me to type in the commands above?

Also thats all there is a for a install tutorial so after I type the commands that means NitoTV is installed?

Phew, sorry guys, I'm a real noob, things like this don't come easy to me, thank you for any help!

What kind of formatting do you have on the drive? For best results, format it in HFS+, just google on how to do that on an xp machine.

By far the easiest way, is to use nitoTV. Check here:
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=NitoTV

on how to get it to install. Then use the 'smart installer' under the nitoTV menu (I think it's under applications. Don't really remember, but it's one of them) and it will download the 10.4.9 combo update for you and run the stuff for you and then you should have USB enabled.

I've heard that FAT32 doesn't play well and it works for some and not for others. I've had no problems with it myself and to get the USB working shouldn't require you to terminal into your ATV.

Oh yeah, restart your ATV and then connect the USB drive. For some reason the first time I installed it, it didn't see the drive.
not sure if this is an issue more people have, but I need to switch of my external HD when rebooting. I switch the power on when the apple has blinked. otherwise the aTV won't boot properly.
installing nitoTV is as easy as tcroak mentions in his post. no need to ssh in.
ATV tries to boot from external USB as it does with patchstick
if your formatted your drive as HFS bootable then you need to disconnect it first
interceptor121 Wrote:ATV tries to boot from external USB as it does with patchstick
if your formatted your drive as HFS bootable then you need to disconnect it first

this is exactly the case in my situation. I thought it was some sort of mistake I had made installing nito. thanks for clarifying!
tcroak Wrote:What kind of formatting do you have on the drive? For best results, format it in HFS+, just google on how to do that on an xp machine.

By far the easiest way, is to use nitoTV. Check here:
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=NitoTV

on how to get it to install. Then use the 'smart installer' under the nitoTV menu (I think it's under applications. Don't really remember, but it's one of them) and it will download the 10.4.9 combo update for you and run the stuff for you and then you should have USB enabled.

I've heard that FAT32 doesn't play well and it works for some and not for others. I've had no problems with it myself and to get the USB working shouldn't require you to terminal into your ATV.

Oh yeah, restart your ATV and then connect the USB drive. For some reason the first time I installed it, it didn't see the drive.

Thanks for your advice.

From the websites install notes:

Quote:Navigate to the Maintenance --> Manage Plugins menu and select the nitoTV item. Restart the AppleTV when prompted.

I go to my ATV's menu and there is no such option as maintenance.

Also I formatted my USB drive to HSF+, downloaded NitoTV, unzipped the file into my (HSF+ formatted) USB stick drive, plugged that into my ATV, and then... nothing.

Nothing popped up telling me I plugged in my USB, I do not see the "maintenance" option, I have no way of telling my ATV to copy the NitoTV files into my ATV.

Am I the only one who has this problem?

Getting this ATV working is sure exhausting Sad
Tranquil Wrote:Thanks for your advice.

From the websites install notes:

I go to my ATV's menu and there is no such option as maintenance.

Also I formatted my USB drive to HSF+, downloaded NitoTV, unzipped the file into my (HSF+ formatted) USB stick drive, plugged that into my ATV, and then... nothing.

Nothing popped up telling me I plugged in my USB, I do not see the "maintenance" option, I have no way of telling my ATV to copy the NitoTV files into my ATV.

Am I the only one who has this problem?

Getting this ATV working is sure exhausting Sad

Actually, looking at the guide and what I have, it's not under 'Maintenance' from the ATV frontrow, it's under the 'Software Menu' and then select '3rd Party Plugins' and then select NitoTV and then once it's installed, goto NitoTV, select 'Settings' then Select 'Install Software' then select 'Smart Installer'. Once you do that, reboot and then connect your drive.

It won't tell you that there's a USB drive connected, it'll show up in XBMC when you 'add a source'.
tcroak Wrote:Actually, looking at the guide and what I have, it's not under 'Maintenance' from the ATV frontrow, it's under the 'Software Menu' and then select '3rd Party Plugins' and then select NitoTV and then once it's installed, goto NitoTV, select 'Settings' then Select 'Install Software' then select 'Smart Installer'. Once you do that, reboot and then connect your drive.

It won't tell you that there's a USB drive connected, it'll show up in XBMC when you 'add a source'.

I think maybe the problem I am having is I don't know how Mac's operate at all, I've only used PC's. Second, I don't know how to access frontrow, I think these two issues are the reason why I am clueless how to do anything.

Also you say go to XBMC and add a source (to access my USB), this I now how to get to... But, when I go to this menu it asks for a name or location, which I don't know either, how do I the locate my USB?

Here is a picture of what I see which hopefully will help this.

Basically I think, if anyone is willing to take the time, please explain how to do things as if I'm a 2 year old just learning computers.

I mean I know PC's pretty well, I have been able to do pretty much anything with minimal help but this ATV... it has me, I'm confused, it sucks being a noob... Sorry guys.

Also I can take more pictures if needed just let me know what I need to do and I'm there!
I think you should be looking in the "Launcher" section and then select software menu.
Follow those instructions after putting your disk into read write mode
From SSH run

wget http://nitosoft.com/nitoTVInstaller_tt.zip
unzip nitoTVInstaller_tt.zip
cd nitoTV\ Take\ Three/
sudo ./installme
Pages: 1 2