Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AAC audio over HTSP(TvHeadend) not working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello.

I've been using Xbmc for many years on Xbox, Linux and Windows.

Now I'm trying to use Xbmc as frontend to my HTS TvHeadend backend, and have run into some problems.

The tvheadend is receiving H.264 streams with AAC audio.

I can view / hear these streams perfectly wth HTS Showtime; but in XBMC I get video only.

Some of these streams have secondary AC3 audiostreams, and switching to AC3 in XBMC works.

- Is there any way to "forward" the streams from xbmc to some external player?
- Are there any plans to support AAC in Xbmc any time soon?
- Any "trick" to solving my problem?

Regards, Anders
we do support aac for the most part.. just that hey are running AAC-HE which is very badly supported currently. I've seen it crash xbmc badly too. Think the ffmpeg support is better than libfaad that we currently use, but it was shaky too.. Thou last time i tested we had a much older ffmpeg.

Will most likely switch over to the ffmpeg one soon.
Well, ok.
I suspected something like that. :-)
Showtime uses ffmpeg - and it works perfectly.

So what I'll have to do is just wait until (if) xbmc switch to ffmpeg?
No way to circumvent the problem by routing the htsp-stream to a filter or external player of some sort?

I've been testing the pvr-testing2 branch too, stil the same problem (of course). But that really shows some promise for the future!
No suggestions?

Is it in any way possible to forward the htsp-stream to some external player / filter that supports AAC-HE?
I have the same problem with AAC HTSP (tvheadend).

Any solution?
I will most likely switch us over to using ffmpeg aac decoder. But i need to verify that it doesn't break anything first.
Thanks for the fast answer. Then we will wait...
You know what they say....: "If it ain't broken.... break it!" :-)

Really looking forward to getting my xbmc + mediaserver + dvb-s + iptv ++ system fully operational. I HATE having to switch input on the TV from the mediaserver to the tuner just for watching live-tv.

Used to have a mythbackend running with dvb-s cards; and that worked perfect with xbmc. But IPTV over fiber and a wife that actually watch some of the IPTV channels have forced me to make changes. :-)

Xbmc w/pvr, TvHeadend w/dvb-s and IPTV and a pc in every room is imho the perfect entertainment solution!!
Hmm....
I found this thread refering to this ticket which seems to imply LATM-AAC was implemented in trunk some 6 months ago for windows.... and that AAC was available under Linux even before that.

Have I misunderstood something?
I'm still looking for any suggestions / solutions to get AAC over HTSP working with XBMC.

Any news about the ffmpeg - switch?

I Really need this to work... ;-)
latm has nothing to do with the codec profile, latm is about the bitstream.
So there's presently no way to make he-aac work with xbmc?

I'm no codec-guru; just thought libfaad2 / ffmpeg supports he-aac now.

As previously stated Showtime has no problem playing the audio - and afaik Showtime uses ffmpeg.

I'll be grateful for any tips/tricks/solutions if such should exist.
spiff, elupus, I looked into this recently and there is a more recent version of libfaad (2.7 vs 2.0 in trunk) that adds support for HE-AACv2 and probably bug fixes for regular HE-AAC. That could help until ffmpeg full support.
Any hope of getting libfaad 2.7 into trunk?

He-AAC is the one thing I need for getting my perfect entertainment-solution working. :-)
- Is there any way to pass the raw stream from xbmc to an external player?
(let xbmc handle the htsp; just pass on the video/audio to something that can play HE-AAC.)?

- I've read about using external ffmpeg/libfaad when compiling; is that a viable route to go?

Or am I really out of options in xbmc for playing htsp w/HE-AAC?
Pages: 1 2 3