Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC and strange problem with DVD playback...black pricture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here how it goes.

I just recently built myself a new HTPC and I have inside the following:

AMD Athlon II X2 240e
Gigabyte GA-MA770 UD3
Sapphire Radeon HD5750 Vapor-X
Mushkin 2x2GB DDR2
HDD 250Gb
PSU Cooler Master 500W

Everything is running on Windows 7, all updates, DX updated, latest Catalayst drivers 10-03.

All is working well and system is stable. I have to mention that XBMC is working well, all videos are playing well like mkv, avi. Original DVDs inserted into the DVD-RW unit are also playing without a problem. There is only one very strange problem with DVD's that are ripped to disk.

When I press play on the DVD, it start to play normally and it goes through these introduction clips and there comes to the root menu of the movie without a problem. There I can select PLAY movie, PLAY individual scenes etc. Now if I press PLAY movie, the picture goes black, OSD is working, sound is playing, I can also go forward, but problem is that picture stays black.

What is very strange is this. Now I press stop the video then I exit XBMC and re-enter again and then I press play on that very same DVD rip and I select RESUME FROM THE POSITION that I stopped watching it and now everything is well video picture is normal and I can watch the movie.

It is also normal if I start to watch from individual selection of scenes it will start normally without black screen.

Otherwise the same DVD rips are playing without a problem in PowerDVD and also on my XboX XBMC.

I tried to uninstall XBMC and to do a fresh install of it and it did not helped me. What else can I do? Could someone please help me here with this very strange problem?

Your help is very much appreciated, tnx!
bye, d.
I just tried from scratch. Only fresh Win 7, ATI catalyst's, XBMC 9.11 which automatically updated also DirectX libraries and problem still persists. I really don't know why my ripped DVDs have black picture if i start them from the DVD menu, then if i stop and resume picture is normal. I'm puzzled Confused.

anyone with some suggestion?
cau, d.
Hey,
Just want to mention here that I managed to solve this issue with DVDs being black when starting from the main menu. I downloaded the nightly version xbmc-r28256-trunk from 1.3.2010 and this version works OK.

The situation before that was really strange. Some DVDs would start to play with black picture if I would press play via my remote control. If i pressed play via mouse they played. But besides that on some DVDs there was a short transition of elements on the main root menu of the DVD movie, just before starting the movie. This transition was normally seen on my XboX that I had before my HTPC without a problem but on official 9.11 release it was not seen at all. Now with nightly build I see transition and there is no more black picture when starting DVDs by remote or by mouse or whatever. It simply works as it should.

best, d.