Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBOX usb remote detected by XBMC but not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have an XUBUNTU running XBMC 9.04.1 r20654.I also have an XBOX usb remote whicj lsusb reports as
Quote:Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:0284 Microsoft Corp. Xbox DVD Playback Kit

And command cat /proc/bus/input/devices gives
Quote:I: Bus=0003 Vendor=045e Product=0284 Version=0130
N: Name="Generic X-Box pad"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.2-2/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0/input/input6
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event5 js0
B: EV=b
B: KEY=683f0000 400000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=3003f

When running XBMC i get an popup inside xbmc saying
Quote:Joystick plugged, generic X-BOX pad

However, the system does not respond to any of the commands from the remote with Keymap.xml unchanged from original. I have a test equipment at home testing if the remote controller is working and the remote is sending IR commands as it should.

I guessed the Keymap.xml needs to be altered, and for a long shot I simply changed the setting for joystick name "Microsoft Xbox Controller S" to "Generic X-Box pad".Offcourse that did not worke correctly having one command from my remote making the xbmc going cracy. (I pushed DOWN arrow once and that maked it beleive the DOWN signal (or wathever) was constantly pressed until I unplugged the USB remote receiver).

Problem is that I have not found any way to detect within Linux WHICH command is sent from the remote at every press and thus I can not make a Keymap that fit my remote. If any have the same remote I would be very happy if you could provide me a copy of your Keymap,or tell me how to gain the code sent to make my own keymap.

I could offcourse hook up an oscilloscope, but that is pretty timeconsuming trying to fetch correct values by analysing the IR pattern. Not to talk aboute my ten thumbs.

Thanks in advance
I have looked,and still failing...

But.. I have been looking more into the key map file and wondered what the id value in for example (see below) is referring to?

Code:
<joystick name="Generic X-Box pad">
      <!-- altname>Mad Catz MicroCON</altname -->
      <!-- altname>Logitech Xbox Cordless Controller</altname -->
      <button[b] id="1"[/b]>Select</button>
      <button id="2">ParentDir</button>

Is this the same value as the IR code? For example, the RCA IR code for button "left" is 86 I believe. Should the id tag reflect this? It does not look like that is correct when trying, but I would like to have it confirmed by others...

Also,In my prev.post I said that if changing all Joystick names into Generic X-Box pad, My xbmc goes nuts (or actually, cracy was the word used).When only changing the name in global, all commands form the remote turns into "go one step back". I am looking into this now, but a little help would be appreciated, please tell me if there is any tool I can use to test the remote under linux shell etc.
I upgraded xbmc to latest this night, and offcourse troubles occurred instantly Wink Now the remote was not detected any more and cat /proc/bus/input/devices revealed no evidence of the generic x-box pad.

However, when doing cat /dev/lirc0 I can see that the remote signals are received and I can provide a file giving the received data if interested.

Also, joydev and uinput is loaded as before.

Any suggestions for further steps?
..Never mind

Restarted lirc. Voila!

Thanks to thedodgy1 and my self...
Sorry for reopening this post, but I thought it would be good for the history

Now, I recently installed the latest pr. date mint version on an old pc. Then I Got problem with xbox remote controller, same as used above, when trying to use it to control XBMC.

In former version of mint, I used lircd and that worked like a charm but I noticed that lirc_atiusb is no longer available and I was thus not able to configure lirc anymore..

I therefore tryid xpad driver and it works somehow, but it only works partly. xbmc do detects keystrokes but implements all as "go back". Normal keyboard works

Is this a known behaviour?

I noticed following error message in xbmc.log but could not find any errors in the xml files. They are also unchanged except that i added the "generic xbox pad" variant to joystick.Microsoft......
Code:
13:40:15 T:3078002560 M:1375612928   ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action '' defined
13:40:27 T:3078002560 M:1358303232   ERROR: Previous line repeats 59 times.

First time i started xbmc it went crasy after first click on the remote, as if i rapidly where pressing keys randomly. Then i got the behaviour as described next time i booted xbmc. All keys have same behaviour.

Breg
Vidar