Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ClearLOGO - Transparent TV Show Logos (Clear Logo) Concept Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My number one suggestion I can give is: Don't just use Google Images. A lot of times you can find more info about the logo from just doing a normal Google search.

Case in point - the logo for The Tomorrow People. I did a quick search for it using Google Images and found virtually nothing usable. Switched over to Google search, typed in "font used for Tomorrow People" and it spit back a site that has the original font used for it.

Unfortunately after getting everything fixed up and ready to upload I found out the needed logo was for the 1992 Nickelodeon remake and not the original show but it just goes to show you CAN find what you're after if you know where to look.

Some times the only thing you can do is remake the logo from scratch. Which is exactly what I had to do with this one.

But if you know where to search and have a little bit of time and patience, anyone can do it. I know I've been promising Kode a tutorial using Photoshop...I'll need to find a few minutes and try to whip one up.
When making them from scratch, do you use fonts or freehand the whole thing?

I find font searching also extremely tedious and as you say, making yourself is probably a lot quicker!
DejaVu77 Wrote:When making them from scratch, do you use fonts or freehand the whole thing?

I find font searching also extremely tedious and as you say, making yourself is probably a lot quicker!

That all depends. The majority of the time, I use the font or the font as a base and tweak things. In the example with The Tomorrow People, I had to make it all from scratch. I'm sure I could have found a pixel font that could have worked but it was far easier for me just to do it by hand.

The thing with fonts is, it's never a bad idea to have too many fonts at your disposal. I have some 1000+ fonts ranging from the classics (Helvetica, Futura, Frutiger, etc) to the purpose made fonts (movie and TV show logo fonts). Chances are, if the TV show is from the last decade, it'll be one of the top 10 fonts; those fonts from the classic set.

And while I'm not condoning the use of fonts gained illegally, you can check out http://www.jabroo.com/ to find most everything you need when it comes to fonts. Best thing to do is to use the tools you have available to make font searching easier - WhatTheFont.com is a great place to start - and go from there.
When done from scratch I use like or exact fonts.
Occasionally I've had to do touch-ups and modify fonts.

There's nothing wrong with Google Images but the images have to be of quality or you have to be really really good at faking it.
Like I said with rough edges you can do some contrast enhancement, feathering, and drop shadows.
This is a great mod. But I have done a simple mod to it.
Because some TV Series have an illegal file name (like Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex) i have made a change.
First search the tv serie image in the folder \skin\media\logos\<tvshowname>.png and, if nothing found, then search the image named LOGO.PNG in the tvshow folder... simply and clear!

Like this code:

Code:
<control type="image" id="7920">
    <visible></visible>
    <posx>840</posx>
    <posy>175</posy>
    <width>200</width>
    <height>78</height>
    <texture>logos/$INFO[ListItem.TVShowTitle].png</texture>
    <fadetime>100</fadetime>
    <aspectratio scalediffuse="false">stretch</aspectratio>
    <visible></visible>
</control>
<control type="image" id="7921">
    <posx>840</posx>
    <posy>175</posy>
    <width>200</width>
    <height>78</height>
    <texture>$INFO[ListItem.path]logo.png</texture>
    <fadetime>100</fadetime>
    <aspectratio scalediffuse="false">stretch</aspectratio>
    <visible>IsEmpty(Control.GetLabel(7920))</visible>
</control>
I wasn't aware that any skins used a central folder for logos anymore?
That should have been phased out ages ago.

As for "illegal files names" this all depends on your filesystem.
strange, why not putting all in logo.png, will be easier to get them.
hikaricore Wrote:I wasn't aware that any skins used a central folder for logos anymore?
That should have been phased out ages ago.

As for "illegal files names" this all depends on your filesystem.

FAT, XFAT, NTFS, etc... don't support the symbol :
For the shows Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex is a problem ...
*shrug* Like I said depends on the file system.
But the single folder method is in the past anyway.
hikaricore Wrote:*shrug* Like I said depends on the file system.
But the single folder method is in the past anyway.

I'm sorry, I did not want to do sapientone! ;D
So I misunderstood your post and I apologize for that!
Not so much following the forum, I thought my (1cent) solution could be useful to other people!

(Google Translator helps me to translate from italian to english... wonderful! )
i see the single folder solution as the only option. the tvshow folder don't work for those who keep their show rared.

@kymya: when i get to those filename problems i just rename the show in xbmc. call it Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex or something
I never understood the people who don't unpack their rars...
Scene rars are not compressed and actually take up more space than the files do.
To each their own but that's just silly any way you look at it. :p
@ hikaricore

Odyssey 5 - Not sure about the duplicate? All the images I uploaded were different. The one that was rejected as a duplicate has a coloured (flaming) ring around the 5 - whereas the other one is all white. If you look at the site, there is a placeholder for the third the image, but no image??

Yeah...The Goodies duplicates - when I was uploading. something happened on the site and I had to refresh the browser and it seems to have uploaded them again.

Land of the Giants - I did the black ones for light backgrounds - but the ones surrounded in red are just as good.
KidKiwi Wrote:@ hikaricore

Odyssey 5 - Not sure about the duplicate? All the images I uploaded were different. The one that was rejected as a duplicate has a coloured (flaming) ring around the 5 - whereas the other one is all white. If you look at the site, there is a placeholder for the third the image, but no image??

There was an issue with one of the images after approval, I'm not sure what the case is but you're welcome to reupload the missing copy and we'll try and remove the blank one.

KidKiwi Wrote:Yeah...The Goodies duplicates - when I was uploading. something happened on the site and I had to refresh the browser and it seems to have uploaded them again.

Everyone does this occasionally, sometimes it happens 8-10 times but that's only on rare occasions with stupid people. Wink

KidKiwi Wrote:Land of the Giants - I did the black ones for light backgrounds - but the ones surrounded in red are just as good.

For the sake of consistency nearly all logos should be viewable on any coloured background. If you want to add a white dropshadow to the black on like you did with (the black shadow on) the white one it will be accepted. ^_^

Thanks for contributing!
hikaricore Wrote:I never understood the people who don't unpack their rars...
Scene rars are not compressed and actually take up more space than the files do.
To each their own but that's just silly any way you look at it. :p

hehe i never understood the people who unpacked it to watched it. it's an extra process u manually have to do that is not needed when using xbmc so why bother. i have never studied the size difference between packed and unpacked. other pro for keeping it rared is if u wanna get into places that demands u to have scene style stuff. i'm just glad there is a way to achieve this and still have both logo and clearart displaying even if i need to manually alter the code of my preferred skin and manually place and rename the art.