Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HELP strange box in video playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings all, I searched but couldn't quite find a resolution to this issue.
During any video playback I get a strange moving square in the upper right corner of the screen. Its actually part of the playback, but its like that corner is a second or two behind the rest of the screen. Its not artifacting and it has a pretty distinct border around it. I tried XBMC 9.11 live (installed), XBMC 9.04 live (installed), and Mandriva 2010.0 x64 (nvidia official driver 185) w/ xbmc 9.11. All three do the same thing.

System specs:
Core2Duo E6400, Asrock 775i65g mainboard
EVGA GeForce 7600GT AGP - 512MB
1GB DDR 400 RAM
Soundblaster Live! card
and a IDE 80GB Western Digital HDD

All the other functions are fast, smooth, and work perfectly - but this is going to be a dedicated media center PC so video is a much. I THANK THANK THANK anyone who has some insight on this! Thanks for reading and any help you can provide -Bobby
Oh almost forgot - I tried swapping the video card from my wife's PC to see if it was video - it was a BFG GeForce 6600GT - 128MB - did the same thing
oops my noob colors are showing - Sorry about that, I will post all the required information shortly!
ok i hope this is what we need:
This is the 9.11 live cd (i tried 9.04 with same issues)

9.11 - XBMC, Platform: GNU/Linux. Built on Dec 24 2009 (SVN:26018)

53-Ubuntu 2.6.31-16-generic
arch: i686
install method - install live cd to HDD
rev 9.11-karmic1

thank you!
I need a debug log and a screenshot Smile
here is the screen shot - notice in the upper right hand corner, there is a chunk a little out of sync - sorry its not super obvious in this screen shot...however if you look close you can see it....its much more obvious watching something - I'll try to get a debug log tomorrow, thanks again for bearing with me and trying to help!

http://trssho.servebeer.com/downloads/screenshot001.png

actually here is a 2nd better one:
http://trssho.servebeer.com/downloads/screenshot002.png
now that is fashinating bug, never seen anything like it Smile
yep, its got me scratching my head, i even used my wife's computer as a parts swapper to make sure hardware was good Wink - tried swapping video, ram, processor!
ok with debugging enabled i have some info on the screen during playback...its about the same during normal playback and when the corner messes up:
FreeMem 908768/1025672Kb, FPS 24.0, CPU0: 3.0%, CPU1: 4.8%, CPU-XBMC 6.79%

here is the complete log file http://trssho.servebeer.com/downloads/xbmc.log - i booted the computer went in and played a media file...I would also like to note its not just AVI files effects, mpg and mkv files have the same defect..

thanks again for taking the time to look into this!
The fact that it's two seconds behind makes it extremely weird, if it was a couple frames behind it would have made some sense.
not sure, i did notice from the log i have nvidia driver 190.53, I have been searching and while its not exactly my issue - i read there were some glitches in that driver... i think I will try to update the svn and nvidia driver from the directions I found here :
http://marshalleq.wordpress.com/2009/08/...-playback/

Judging by the screenshots I suppose it isnt really two seconds - more like a fraction of a second (no idea how many frames), what would you suggest if it were just a few frames

I'll report back with what I find out...thanks!
ok that didnt work - it just reinstalled the same driver for video 190.53 nvidia. I did however update teo SVN 28256 and it didnt make any difference....
just a followup - I'm throwing in a towel on this specific setup. I'm pretty convinced I have a mainboard issue, maybe AGP slot or chipset. I really think this mainboard has the issue because my wife's computer has the same mobo with the same bios version and it works perfectly. After some searching around I have ordered a Intel G31 mainboard and I'll try to use the GMA3100 graphics. With my C2D E6400 it should be able to play everything ok (if not I'll just get a cheapo GeForce 8400GS or above card). Thanks for everyone's help on this and thanks for making a media center package so good that it makes me want to get hardware thats works correctly with it! Smile
OK im getting really frustrated now! I got my new motherboard, video card, and ram and IT still does it! The system is now a Intel Core2Duo E6400, 2GB DDR-2 667 ram, GeForce G210 video card. I was curious so I pulled the video card out and tried it on the Intel GMA3100 onboard video (wanted to try a non-nvidia driver) and that still has the same little box. I really dont know what to do or say about this one...Huh
Pages: 1 2