Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Uploading to ATV/xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I currently have an ATV(w/ CrystalHD) connected to my PC via Ethernet wire (soon to be wireless 802.11g bridge). Using Filezilla, I usually can only yeild about 2-3MB/s transfer speed. Is the ethernet on the appleTV that poor?

1) Is there a faster way to transfer MKVs to the ATV HD?
2) Can I map a folder on the ATV to my PC?
3) Has anyone had success streaming 720p to the ATV via 802.11G wireless bridge.

Note: To the developers, I've had a smartXX Xbox1 since 2002 and would like to say thank you for XBMC. Stellar Work.

ATV+XBMC+CrystalHD+Transparency!= Unreally!!!
Rolleyes Unreally was a typo. I meant to type was UNREAL!!!!
Ethernet should easily do 8-10+MB/S
Have you got a CAT5 cable?
Wireless G will do 3-4 MB/S
Ya I have cat5e. I think my average transfer speed to the old Xbox with filezilla was 40-50MB/s.
xbmc old school Wrote:Ya I have cat5e. I think my average transfer speed to the old Xbox with filezilla was 40-50MB/s.

Shocked XBox has gigabit LAN interface? Rolleyes

You could give this a try, though I think that you have to cope with the transfer speed of bigger files:

http://devroot.org/2007/05/01/optimize-n...r-appletv/

PS: Is there a firewall on your desktop computer?
The xbox has only a fast Ethernet exactly like the atv so reported speeds over 12 mb/s are definitely a display error of the transfer program
USB 2.0 does 40 MB/s at best and gbit LAN a bit more
usually the disk speed is the limit more than the LAN
xbmc old school Wrote:Ya I have cat5e. I think my average transfer speed to the old Xbox with filezilla was 40-50MB/s.

I'm willing to bet that you mean 40-50Mb/s, not MB/s (factor of 8 difference). FlashFXP (xbox1 FTP program of choice) shows speeds in megabits, not megabytes by default if I recall correctly.

Anyway, 50Mb/s is still a faster than the 2-3MB/s you report coming from AppleTV.
Thanx bob,

No Firewall. I'll give the SSH command a go and let you know. Still got to to set up a wireless bridge.
2-3MB/s is about right for wireless G. It's theoretical limit is 54mbps, but it's no where near that... especially now with the amount of networks around.

If you see more than three networks on the 2.4ghz band they're already using all available frequencies so the others are stomping on eachother. It has 13 channels, but only three completely independent frequency ranges.
The aTV offers Fast Ethernet which means a maximum of 100Mbps up and down (100TX)

The reason you are getting a mere ~2MB/s is because you are using ssh to transfer your files. This is slow! If you use an FTP server on aTV you will notice you get around 8MB/s.

Treat yourself
Ah, of course...thanks for pulling back in the right direction, Mr. Nazarko Wink
I just transferred my raw Blu-Ray rip of the The Dark Night to the Apple TV and it transferred at a consistent 40mbps (or 5MB/Sec) over SSH, that seems fine to me given the overheard of SSH.

Haven't tried FTP yet.
SSH for file transfers aaargh!
I finally got the crystal HD card yesterday. It works fine with the svn build of XBMC. But another issue appeared - networking problem. I am watching all movies (including HD) from a NAS drive. The connection is like that:

Apple TV > 100 Mbit/s cable > Dlink 1522 Wireless-n bridge > Dlink DIR-655 Wireless-n router > 1Gbit/s cable > Synology NAS

I am getting buffering messages a lot when watching HD movies. My router shows that connection between itself and the wireless bridge is 108 Mbit/s most of time, but sometimes drops to 54 Mbit/s. Signal strength is around 60-70%. Buffering (movie playback stopped) happens also when the router shows 108 Mbit/s connection speed.

Does anyone has a solution to this? I spent $150 on getting the crystal HD card and I still cannot watch HD movies without multiple buffering incidents spoiling the joy.
reddeath Wrote:I finally got the crystal HD card yesterday. It works fine with the svn build of XBMC. But another issue appeared - networking problem. I am watching all movies (including HD) from a NAS drive. The connection is like that:

Apple TV > 100 Mbit/s cable > Dlink 1522 Wireless-n bridge > Dlink DIR-655 Wireless-n router > 1Gbit/s cable > Synology NAS

I am getting buffering messages a lot when watching HD movies. My router shows that connection between itself and the wireless bridge is 108 Mbit/s most of time, but sometimes drops to 54 Mbit/s. Signal strength is around 60-70%. Buffering (movie playback stopped) happens also when the router shows 108 Mbit/s connection speed.

Does anyone has a solution to this? I spent $150 on getting the crystal HD card and I still cannot watch HD movies without multiple buffering incidents spoiling the joy.

Did you try to play any hd movies using cat5 connection?

BTW where you from? The reason for me to ask is the custom thing, I just ordered card from logic-supply.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2