Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I use only part of HDD...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...for the XBMC Live installation? I have a 320GB HDD and only want to use about 15GB of that for XBMC and use the REST as a drive to store Movies. This way when I have to format and reinstall XBMC Live...I only have to format that 15GB partition.

I kind of had a look around while installing and partitioning the drive during the LIVE install process. I chose 'Physical Drive as RAID' for the remainder of the HDD, but that didn't work. I look in the file explorer from XBMC and I don't see a 'K:' drive which is what the partitioning menu said that it was going to name it.

The reason I need to do this is because I've been using nightly builds and the last build had a bug where the screen wasn't visible going into the shell.
K:? It doesnt make any sense.

If you have created a partition and formated it then you need to manually mount it in fstab. It is quite simple. Look it up.
With the live install, when it comes to ask you about the disk structure, you need to do a manual disk size partition. I think there are 4 options - the first (normally selected) is use the whole disk.

I'd install xbmc and then format the remainder of the space from within linux.
I missed the formatting option in the Live setup screens...is it in there? I'm gonna have to have a look again. I was sitting real close to my 65" Plasma...LoL!

And what is fstab? How do I manually mount it? Never had any experience with Linux before XBMC.

Oh, just wanted to add that I'm using the REVO purely for XBMC...so it's not going to have Dual Boot options.
Don't worry about curt answers. Everyone was new to linux at some point, they just seem to conveniently forget it. In your situation, the easiest thing to do is to start over with a new install. As suggested, you'll select "Manual" at the Disk Partition menu. Then, select ext4 as the file system, and assign the space that you want (15 gb is probably overkill - 10gb is way more than enough for this kind of application [5gb is still probably plenty]) to "/". Then, create a swap partition (no more than twice your ram, and anything over 2gb is overkill here). Finally, create one more ext4 partition, and assign the rest of the available space to "/home".

Then, if you need to reinstall XBMC, you just need to overwrite the "/" partition, and your settings (including database files, skins, etc. - not to mention your media) are retained in /home.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a more complete walkthrough at the moment, as I'm relying on memory for LiveCD layout.
fasteddy Wrote:Don't worry about curt answers. Everyone was new to linux at some point, they just seem to conveniently forget it. In your situation, the easiest thing to do is to start over with a new install. As suggested, you'll select "Manual" at the Disk Partition menu. Then, select ext4 as the file system, and assign the space that you want (15 gb is probably overkill - 10gb is way more than enough for this kind of application [5gb is still probably plenty]) to "/". Then, create a swap partition (no more than twice your ram, and anything over 2gb is overkill here). Finally, create one more ext4 partition, and assign the rest of the available space to "/home".

Then, if you need to reinstall XBMC, you just need to overwrite the "/" partition, and your settings (including database files, skins, etc. - not to mention your media) are retained in /home.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a more complete walkthrough at the moment, as I'm relying on memory for LiveCD layout.

Thanks for your reply...hopefully the info you gave is enough to me to get it setup. Perfect timing as well...I was just about to do the reinstall! Big Grin I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit: Worked Perfectly! Easy to follow instructions! (the installation automatically named the partition '/home') Thanks again!
Honestly, it is not a problem to mount it manually in fstab. curt answers or not.
I didnt know any linux 9 months ago. I have learned by looking stuff up on the google.
Sure, sometimes people will help you with the most basic stuff, but it really pays of to try looking stuff up.
vikjon0 Wrote:Honestly, it is not a problem to mount it manually in fstab. curt answers or not.
I didnt know any linux 9 months ago. I have learned by looking stuff up on the google.
Sure, sometimes people will help you with the most basic stuff, but it really pays of to try looking stuff up.

Well, good for you buddy! Keep up the good work. Rolleyes
SiNJiN Wrote:Well, good for you buddy! Keep up the good work. Rolleyes

smart ass

Thats a sure way to get the help you need. He was simply trying to encourage you to look for some things yourself. Veterans will take notice of your shitty attitude and simply ignore your future requests.

Good luck buddy!

PLONK!
Okay, everyone dial it back a little. A little patience goes a long way. I know when I started out with linux a few years ago, I asked a lot of questions. Yes, researching yourself is the best way to learn, but at the beginning the amount of information is overwhelming.

As to the point about fstab, yes, it's not terribly difficult to use (but often requires some fussing around with when you're new to it). However, that doesn't help him with his central concern - keeping /home on a separate partition. So, the easiest thing was a proper reinstall.

SiN JiN, you need to watch how you phrase things. Even though I'm sure you didn't mean anything by your comments, it's hard to read intention. Okay, we all friends again? Good.
Cool