Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is this a software or hardware problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OSX Version: Darwin 8.8.2 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.2: Mon Jan 2…
Platform: AppleTV
Apple TV Version: 2.0.2
Launcher version: 3.1
Install Method: Launcher
SVN Revision: r26018
Log after freeze and reboot, BEFORE starting XBMC again: http://pastebin.com/Vc3hjk8U
Log after freeze and reboot, AFTER starting XBMC again: http://pastebin.com/ADYj6sSJ

Skin name: Confluence

CPU: Genuine Inter® processor 1.00Ghz
RAM: 256MB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 OpenGL Engine
Screen resolution: 1280x720 1280x720 @ 60.00 - Full Screen 99 - 100Hz.
OpenGL version: 1.5 NVIDIA-1.4.60

I have been considering replacing my Apple TV, but before I do, I thought it prudent to exhaust all possible measures, in case it is something I have installed or setup incorrectly.

I bought this Apple TV from a user on eBay and it arrived with a dead hard drive. However, I am now suspecting other hardware problems, but I cannot be sure since I am running XBMC on it…I never use the stock features of the Apple TV.

I replaced the hard drive with this one:
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1200BEVE 120GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" ATA-6 Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822136130

I have 2 conditions that occur:

1) XMBC will cease to display subtitles and will not actually be able to find the subtitle file, and in addition to this problem, bookmarks will not work. A reboot of the AppleTV remedies this, however, sometimes upon a reboot, the more serious issue will persist as described below:

2) The Apple TV will freeze. The light on the front of the unit responds to remote control presses, but I have to unplug the unit because it is completely locked up. Upon rebooting, it will more often than not result in the blinking question mark. At this point I simply unplug the unit for a fair amount of time (30 min or so?), and when I start it back up, it is okay. I initially suspected it as a heat problem because it seemed it just needed some time to cool off and it was indeed very hot. I assumed this was just a problem with Apple TV's in general, and I would just have to live with it. However, the problem seemed to be becoming more frequent, and the freeze could occur even after a fresh power-up when the unit had only been on for less than 30 minutes. As the problem became worse, I rolled back the Apple TV software to version 2.0.2, running Launcher 3.1. The problem appeared to be less frequent, but now it is becoming more frequent again, a few times per day. I am now starting to unplug the Apple TV every time I am finished using it. If I keep it unplugged most of the time, I can just wait for a boot before using it. I have never had a problem during playback. It is always after playback has stopped, navigating the menus. However, the minor problem described in #1 can, of course, occur during playback.

BTW, I only use my XBMC for video playback.

Log after freeze and reboot, BEFORE starting XBMC again: http://pastebin.com/Vc3hjk8U
Log after freeze and reboot, AFTER starting XBMC again: http://pastebin.com/ADYj6sSJ

Has anyone else experienced this? My inclination is to replace the Apple TV, but I want to be sure before I throw good money after bad.

Thanks in advance,
sking
As you are not using CristalHD I would try a proper release not an SVN
So go back to 9.11 and see what happens
quite interesting as I am also suffering random crashes. I had experienced these crashes when running linux on the atv and am now experiencing them since reverting back to the atv o/s.

I've not had the time to sit down and take a good look at it yet (his isn't true, I'm just trying to give davilla a break between all the hookers and beer I've sent him before I bug him again Wink), but I get crashes both during video playback and whilst using menus. a reboot by menu/play on the remote sometimes fixes it, but sometimes it also crashes when loading the atv intro video.

I notice it became more unstable after installing nitotv for usb keyboard/harddrive support.

I'll be going back to a vanilla install tomorrow (public holidays are awesome!) and see if I can keep the thing stable for a while.

the machine never crashed prior to using drivers / libraries for the crystalhd. the crystalhd sat in the appletv and the appletv worked perfectly with no crashes until I started actually using the drivers / libs for the broadcom card after about 3 months.

fingers crossed it isn't somehow related to the card itself.

I should also add (yes, I'm rambling, I know) that sometimes after the atv has crashed and I reboot via menu/play on the remote, I get eeprom readings on the tv screen from the atv and have on two occasions been presented with a login prompt for the atv underlying o/s and have had to again reboot to have it boot into the window manager!
interceptor121 Wrote:As you are not using CristalHD I would try a proper release not an SVN
So go back to 9.11 and see what happens

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I checked it out of subversion. I actually installed it from th Launcher download screen. The version I am running is:

XBMC 9.11 R26018 (COMPILED : DEC 23 2009)

I am not running anything fancy...just the patchstick.
I decided to try another experiment:

After using XBMC I always shutdown the app. I didn't experience any freezes as a result. The only problem I had was the original problem #1 with not marking shows as watched. I tried to get a debug log of that, but it didn't appear to be any different than the previous log, i.e. it didn't seem to be writing to the log any longer. However, I still have the logs if any developer is interested.

I have now been running Boxee for 5 days without exiting and have had no problems whatsoever.

My conclusion is that it appears to be a software problem with the version of XBMC that I am running, since Boxee works okay. I am not sure how to tell what version of Boxee I am running, as I'm not as familiar with the interface...I can't find it in the credits.

--------
Edit:

Funny, right after posting this, I went to shutdown Boxee so I could look for an update, and the system froze. This is the FIRST TIME in several days. It only happened when SHUTTING DOWN Boxee...very strange.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? If so, has anyone experienced the problem being worse with ATV 3 vs 2? Does anyone else make it a habit to shutdown XBMC when finished? Is there anything else I should provide if a developer wants to look at this problem?
I'm surprised there wasn't any other interest here. I am using XBMC again over Boxee because of the richer feature set.

Things seem to be better. I wonder if there is some shared library that was causing issues with an older version of Boxee. Is that possible?

I guess my conclusion is that I will stay with my current hardware platform.