Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black borders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Specs as per the guide:
OS: I'm using 9.11 XBMC installed from the CD live onto my HDD (it's on the only OS on there, I'm not dual booting or anything).
Architecture: i686
Install Method: Via the Live CD.
Log file: I've not got into the world of grabbing stuff from my new linux build over the network yet but after turning debug logging on and restarting it all that's shown up is the various keys I've pressed to take a look around
eg.
"22:31:21 T:3079313264 M:3009716224 DEBUG: OnKey: 61480 pressed, action 4"

Machine:
Mother Board: MSI S775
Processor: INTEL Core2Duo 6600 2.4 GHZ
RAM: 3 GB (3x1GB) CORSAIR 240DIMM XMS2-6400 CL5
Graphics Card: Asus HD 4350 512MB

TV: Samsung LE40A656A

The problem:
For some reason I'm getting back borders around around the screen when I'm running at 1920x1080:60hz (this is the native res/refresh rate for my TV) using my HDMI output.
I only get that at that resolution and refresh rate. 50hz at the same res and no borders. 1280x720:60 and it's full screen. However as both of these are not native I get some blurring.
I get the black borders both when the GUI is up and when I switch into the terminal via ctrl+alt+F1 (eg the terminal is inset a little on all sides). I have also connected using a VGA cable. Using this I get no borders in the GUI mode but the terminal runs over the screens edges leading me to think there's some kind of over/underscanning going on.
I've tried playing with the video calibration tool but making the screen larger just causes to edges to disappear when they reach the border.

I've tried various settings on my TV, normally "just scan" is the setting to use but when it's dealing with a PC this option is disabled. Telling it to treat my HDMI as a normal entertainment source and setting it to "just scan" gives me the same black borders though (and some extra bluring for free!).

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I've spend most of the day reading around and trying various things.
aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

was recomeneded for a similar problem but no joy there. Then went on to try

aticonfig --query-monitor # to see monitors
aticonfig --query-dispattrib=tmds2 #to see supported values
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2,sizeX:1920 # to set X resolution
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2,sizey:1080 # to set Y resolution
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2,positionX:0 # to set X position to 0
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2,positionY:0 # to set Y position to 0

"aticonfig --query-monitor" just returned an error about X windows not running (which makes sense, I assume the live CD isn't suing X windows?)
I went through all the values I could find in the aticonfig help with aticonfig "--query-dispattrib=name" and all returned that they weren't on.

Not quite sure where to go from here to remove these black borders. I want to use HDMI rather than VGA so my VGA port is still free for the laptop (also getting the audio for free via HDMI is very handy).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Linden ,

Well i got the same problem, im using also a ATI graphics card and using the HDMI for audio and video.

I googled a lot but didn't find the solution and wanted to know if you figured it out?

Regards,

Olivier
Same here, been looking for a solution a long time but finally i gave up.

But atm i'm using a very rude solution. It works well enough. What i did is at your tv aspect settings, instead of using 16:9 i use one of my zoom presets. It will zoon in a bit to much.. or very much to much, but i then used the xbmc screen calibration and draged those corners to match the zoom level. I now have a "correct" resoultion.

But i'm currently looking for a nvidia card, as there seems to be no support for hardware acceleration with an ati card.

Cheers.
I'm afraid to say I never did get it fixed, I've just learned to live with it :/ It's far from idea though.
Well i found away to get rid of the black borders and it was finally really easy.

I used the xbmc live install to hard drive. When xbmc is started you have to go to the shutdown menu en press the "exit" button.

You will get into console mode and after that login with your username and password.

At the prompt type : startx

You will see a empty desktop and have to press the on the right button of the mouse an search for a terminal version.

After starting the console you have to type : AMDCCCLE and the ATI catalyst package will start up and you can setup the OVERSCAN.

Sorry for my bad english but hope you will figure it out.
Thanks a lot for the tip! For anyone else needing this fix I had to do a little extra playing.

First "amdcccle" needs to be lower case. Then I was getting an error:
"error while loading shared libraries: libQtGui.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
to install I used: sudo aptitude install libqtgui4

Then after loading the fonts were all out of whack so I couldn't use the window (fonts were too large). I had to exit and reload using "startx -- :0 -dps 75".
olivierrap Wrote:Well i found away to get rid of the black borders and it was finally really easy.

I used the xbmc live install to hard drive. When xbmc is started you have to go to the shutdown menu en press the "exit" button.

You will get into console mode and after that login with your username and password.

At the prompt type : startx

You will see a empty desktop and have to press the on the right button of the mouse an search for a terminal version.

After starting the console you have to type : AMDCCCLE and the ATI catalyst package will start up and you can setup the OVERSCAN.

Sorry for my bad english but hope you will figure it out.

I tried this, but for som reason i don't have the overscan slide option.
Anyone know how i might get it there?
Check out the setting at the DTV tab.
Seems like i don't have that option.

Under display manager i only have one option "Projector (1)" And on that i only have the "Information" tab avalible.

And for some reason my tv shows up as a projector, wich it is not.
how to achieve Projector instead of that DTV has to recognize the my plasma TV?