Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu Update -> nVidia driver has to be reinstalled?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and everything is working fine except one thing. Everytime I update my system and reboot Ubuntu I get a popup, that something is wrong with my graphic driver: So I can start a low-graphic mode or go to console. Until now I reinstall my nVidia driver always after I've updated my Ubuntu, because this happens all the time. Is there something I can do, so that my system doesn't destroy my graphic driver and I have to reinstall it everytime?

Thanks!
something is wrong with drivers... it should always work...

download latest driver from nvidia, kill X to terminal or boot to terminal, execute drivers with 'sudo sh' command. afterwards reboot everything should be fine forever! Smile
That is exactly what I'm doing! Smile But if new updates are available and I allow Ubuntu to install them I always get an error afterwards and have to reinstall the driver. This happens since I'm using Ubuntu (8.10, 9.4 and 9.10). The only time it didn't happen was when I was using XBMCLive. But all the time I'm using an full Ubuntu I get this error.
I have a Geforce 9400GT and I'm using the official nVidia driver from the nVidia homepage.
You're installing the nvidia driver manually (i.e. not through synaptic?)
Then I suspect it's happening when you update your kernel.
What he said. Update the kernel, you have to recompile the driver.
True...if any setup is made outside kernel, after kernel update you have to do it manually all over again...and it's not only with GPU but also with wlan, audio, storage, cam, etc...

I have disabled kernel update, and do it once a month manually... Wink

Updating service is great, but if machine works why to bother with it on everyday basis (except for security updates)?!
Would it be better to install the driver not manually? And if so, how would I do that?

Thanks so far!
You'd need to find a PPA that has up to date drivers and to install it from there via apt-get. However nvidia's own PPA doesn't have the latest drivers and are also missing Lucid packages IIRC.
TREX6662k5 Wrote:You'd need to find a PPA that has up to date drivers and to install it from there via apt-get. However nvidia's own PPA doesn't have the latest drivers and are also missing Lucid packages IIRC.

they are in the official ubuntu repos, simply install nvidia-current