Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stream movies from macbook to Apple tv?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im new to apple TV and I've just hacked it with a patchstick and installed XBMC, Boxee, SSH and nitoTV.

So my question is: is it possible to stream movies from my macbook to the Apple tv or do I have to transfer them to the ATV first? If so, which is the fastest transfer method? SSH?

One last question: is it possible for the ATV to play 720p .MKV files and subtitles?

THANKS
Just setup a shared folder on your macbook using SMB sharing.

Connect to it from XBMC on your ATV -> Voila!
jmarshall Wrote:Just setup a shared folder on your macbook using SMB sharing.

Connect to it from XBMC on your ATV -> Voila!

Thx! I got it to work. And from what I've understand - it isn't possible to play 720P MKV on Apple TV. You have to convert them using Handbrake. Will .srt files work as a subtile to those mp4 files which are made in Handbrake?
The problem is not with the .mkv format, but with what the ATV can handle in terms of the framesize and profile level of the h264 video inside it. Without some additional hardware (eg CrystalHD) the ATV struggles with 720p video over about profile level 3.

They'll play, they'll just not play smoothly. And yes, XBMC will utilize .srt files side by side with whatever container you have the video in.

Cheers,
Jonathan