Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movies vs tv show listings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Confused about real benefit of tv shows vs keeping everything in movies/video.

I have never dealt with tv shows and usually consider most of my dvd's as movies. That said, I do have a lot of episode based dvd series (Anime). I perfer to keep everything in one section, so always treated them as movies along with my other anime dvd's.
malathan Wrote:Confused about real benefit of tv shows vs keeping everything in movies/video.

I have never dealt with tv shows and usually consider most of my dvd's as movies. That said, I do have a lot of episode based dvd series (Anime). I perfer to keep everything in one section, so always treated them as movies along with my other anime dvd's.

Well for 1 thing they aren't movies Big Grin - secondly if you want all the nice fanart, synopsis. cover art etc, then you won't get that information if you keep your tv series with the movies (the movie scrapers don't have that information).
And once you have individual episode files, things get messy quickly in the movies section.
Still confused as to benefit of TV Shows for DVD based shows. If it were individual episodes, then I can see the usage. But for me, where 4/5 of my anime collection includes multiple dvd's per story/show, separating some out to TV Shows and leaving some in Movies would create a lot of clutter (I think).

As far as organization, still trying to figure this out too.
If I move everything into individual folders, browsing through file mode is very much a pita. Switching to library mode is easier, but then ALL movies are grouped together (all my anime mixed in with animation mixed in with regular movies mixed in with documentaries...). I like to view things in terms of their primary genre, which is how I have the folders setup.

In the end, put all the dvds within each genre into one folder. This gives the browsing I am looking for, ability to quickly see at top level folders of "Anime", "Animation", "Movies", and "Documentaries" (among few others), then clicking on that folder getting a list of all the movies along with their posters/fanart images.

Am I missing something in regards to using the Library that is preventing me from setting things up in this manner?
malathan Wrote:Am I missing something in regards to using the Library that is preventing me from setting things up in this manner?

You can always sort by Genre - if that's what you're aiming for.

If you're not happy with the selection of genres, edit them in the database - or edit each nfo (or use something like EMM to do so).

Also in regards to TV vs. Movie, you're going to run into a world of headaches if you don't just keep them separated - scraping properly, etc. I don't know to each his own - just doesn't make much sense to me.
Guess one place my confusion is coming from is that tv shows expects seasons and episodes. Anime dvd's I have are not in that format. They are "<Show> - 1.iso", "<Show> - 2", etc. to represent dvd 1, 2, ...

So having to rename them with "Season" makes no sense for 99% of what I have, or episodes as each dvd contains n number of episodes.

This is where I am getting confused and need suggestions.
malathan Wrote:Guess one place my confusion is coming from is that tv shows expects seasons and episodes. Anime dvd's I have are not in that format. They are "<Show> - 1.iso", "<Show> - 2", etc. to represent dvd 1, 2, ...

So having to rename them with "Season" makes no sense for 99% of what I have, or episodes as each dvd contains n number of episodes.

This is where I am getting confused and need suggestions.

If you want episode details, fanart, preview clips, organized structure you have to do it the right way (not your way)

Do it or dont, take it or leave it. Move on.....
FishOil Wrote:If you want episode details, fanart, preview clips, organized structure you have to do it the right way (not your way)

Do it or dont, take it or leave it. Move on.....

I realize that the way I am handling anime dvd's is not how other's do it. That is why I am trying to learn.